Monolingual + stupidity

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shrimpdesign, Apr 22, 2006.

1. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

They don't mix.

I recently downloaded Monolingual since I have heard about it, and recently found out it was Universal. So I opened it on my Intel iMac, deleted a bunch of languages, which was cool, and then I saw the Architectures tab. Bad idea.

I deleted all PPC based execution code.

I forgot Photoshop was PPC.

The weird thing is, Activity Monitor, Installer and a couple other utilities didn't work. And since I had to use Installer to reinstall the previously mentioned dead Photoshop, I had to reinstall OS X. Not fun.

The moral of the story? Don't play with guns.

2. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

3. Soisauce001 macrumors newbie

Soisauce001

Dooode I did the same exact thing.. I had a couple of programs running under Rosetta and they wouldn't work after that.. At first I thought I got a virus.. Cuz certain programs would give me like 2 bounces in my dock and then they would die...

After awhile I realize that I was overly zealous on trying to free up to space on my HDD..and Yes I had to reinstall OS X... But I learned my lesson after that.. You live and you learn.. right?

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You ain't from around these parts eh fella? ;)

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Did you check to see if there were any package installers for this PPC execution code on your Installer disks? Just curious if a complete reinstall is necessary in a situation like this.

6. steelfist macrumors 6502a

that section is reserved for g series owners. very helpful for my g4 ibook

7. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Ok, so here's the weird thing. After I installed OSX again, all my PPC apps work in Rosetta again ..... soooooo... don't mess with "Architectures" with Monolingual on Intel Macs.