Monolingual

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Croatian, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Croatian macrumors 6502

Has anyone used this program before, i tryed it today and i loved it, i saved 3.2gb of space by deleting all other languages i am never ever going to use,

is there any other program like this out there that will get ride of all the drives, and all other stuff u never need that come with mac os x

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, Monolingual is a great little program for saving some space. I just realized that they've finally (as of 1.3.5 released on December 27th) fixed the Rosetta issue. The default setting for the program used to destroy Rosetta on the Intel Macs, making it impossible to open Office and Adobe apps...glad to see they finally got around to fixing this.

Some people just do a clean install of OS X when they get their machine and customize it to install only the apps they want. You can delete things like printer drivers that you know you won't need (you can add them back later if you end up needing them). The iLife programs (specifically their support files) use up a ton of hard drive space...iWeb templates, iDVD themes, GarageBand loops. If you get rid of those apps, make sure you track down their support files too. WhatSize, OmniDiskSweeper, and Disk Inventory X are good apps for finding these large folders/files.

3. notwist macrumors regular

I deleted all the languages I have no use for but what about all the other stuff listed? I don't want to kill my Mac :eek:

4. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

i really wanna delete stuff i wont ever use to gain back some HDD space so i cant install bootcamp. how would i go about locating and deleting all these languages and drivers and what not now that my macbook ha been up and running for 8 months ?

5. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Well, Monolongual will do the languages.
    I'm not sure how to easily remove printer drives post-install (i always do a clean install and do it then).
    You can also remove apps like Garageband and sound files etc. that you don't use to free up plenty of space.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmm... I just downloaded 1.3.7, and that wanted to remove all architectures except Intel on my MacBook... scary...

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Really? I can't believe it's still doing this...I assumed from the Changelog that 1.3.5 fixed this.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok, maybe it would have been safe, after all... I just got a bit paranoid from the FAQ:

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You're right to be paranoid, given how long it's taken them to fix this, if it is even fixed at all. The FAQ has long said that (and was the only way users would know how to not bork Rosetta), but I assumed the issue was finally addressed. Now I'm not so sure.

10. persianpunisher macrumors regular

DAMMIT! It removed my Rosetta Architecture by default. Anyway to return it?

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Unfortunately, you'll have to do an Archive and Install of your system in order to fix it. Was this with the latest 1.3.7 version?

12. persianpunisher macrumors regular

ummmmm..... I am not positive. Although the version did allow me to select the architectures that I wanted removed.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can see what version it was by going to the Monolingual --> About Monolingual item in the menu bar while the app is open.

Ever since they implemented the architecture stripping, you've been able to check boxes to tell it what to get rid of, but there is a default selection of checked boxes based on what system the program determines you have. Unfortunately, that default setting stripped PPC frameworks on Intel machines, rendering Rosetta useless.

14. persianpunisher macrumors regular

How do I do this Archive and Install you speak of? God, I JUST got this thing and I HAD to **** it up.... (sigh)

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Archive and Install.

And here is how to reimport your user directory after the reinstallation. You may have to reinstall a few apps as well if they don't work properly afterwards, but most should be fine.

16. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

They should remove the architecture stripping function, or at least make it an advanced option that is by default unchecked.