Monopolysoft XP EULA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacQuest, Feb 10, 2003.

1. MacQuest macrumors 6502a

[taken from the article linked below:]

"Well, swell. But if it is indeed Microsoft's intent to continue giving users the right to decline downloads, why has the company written its XP agreements to force users to explicitly surrender that right? Are customers supposed to ignore what the licenses say and just hope Microsoft won't ever do what the terms say it can do? That's not a concept that will make anyone other than Bill Gates feel very secure."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/02/02/08/020211opfoster_1.html

[taken from Nipsy, MacRumors member]:

...enjoy mucking about your BIOS, recovering from worms, and signing the deed of your house over to M$ (line 16487 of the Windows XP EULA).

If anyone can clarify what this means [I'm actually wondering whether Nipsy meant it literally, as I wouldn't put anything past M$] it would be greatly appreciated.:D

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Re: Monopolysoft XP EULA

I communicate primarily through sacrcasm, and I don't use smilies.

What I meant was that now that M$ has claused themselves permission to take over your computer, and sold it to the RIAA et al, next you can expect a EULA which grants M$ first access to and later ownership of your home.

I often discuss EULAs with my attorney, and after one of our discussions, he READ his XP EULA. He told me that no lay person can totally understand it, that it 'may' violate some Costitutional rights, and that no-one is likely to defeat it in court without a mutlimillion dollar defense.

He then bought a Pbook...

3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Unrelated note:

My attorney also suggested that if you're ever embrioled in legal battles with M$ (or any large corporation), that if you use your subpoena rights to subpoena as much of their executive echelon as possible (with cause, of course) at the same inopportune time, your case might be quietly dropped.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

haha.