Monsanto to quit Europe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

Monsanto is one of the most thuggish companies in the world today. This is very good news for Europeans who are still unconvinced about the highly touted, yet mostly invisible benefits of GM crops. While there seems to be no evidence of danger to humans, the potential danger to the environment is huge and truly unknowable.

In further news, the EU is still adamnant about refusing to allow hormone-treated beef from the US and Canada. Link Some of this can be attributed to protectionism but many Europeans view with skepticism attempts to "scientifically" alter their food.

2. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

GM...its only a few levels higher than selective breeding of peapods done by Mendel.

Or the breeding of wanted traits in dogs from wolves.

I guess what is really the issue here is that Europeans do not trust scientists to do what is right. Or is it Europeans do not trust scientists working in large corporations to do what is right.

I guess that would dampen innovation and scientific progress if this were the prevalent sentiment of the non-scientific community towards its scientists and engineers.

More respect is given to entertainers and sports figures than to scientists and engineers. Pretty sad. :(

3. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's no doubt that man has been genetically influencing plants and animals since the dawn of civilization. What's at stake with GM food is not selective breeding but cross species modification. Many of the Roundup resistance crops that Monsanto has been breeding have created superweeds as well as weeds that are resisitant to Roundup.

Scientists have always manipulated things in their labs, it's not their actions that the people of the EU are worried about, rather the corporate policies of Monsanto. The cover ups and manipulation of data and blatant propaganda.

Just because one is a scientist or engineer does not give them license to do as they see fit. The marketplace and the individual in society has every right to choose and their "discoveries" should not be forced on an unwilling public. There is no doubt that much of the "science" involved in transgenic crops is pretty short-term. Didn't we learn back in the 50s and 60s that there are long-term effects to what the scientists came up with? Why are our memories so short?

I agree that fluff is given more attention than substance and that is sad.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The idea of GM crops doesn't bother me from the standpoint of "just GM". For all the talk of "disease resistant", I'm concerned about some plant disease(s) that didn't get the genetic message. I gues my thinking is affected by the mutations known to happen to staph bugs in hospitals.

I guess it's also my notion that mono-cultures just aren't Good Things. Too much of the "all your eggs in one basket".

As far as cow critters, range beef tastes better. :D

'Rat

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

monsanto is disgusting, beyond just genetically modified products..

they've been screwing over farmers and people in general for years..... thankfully our system is corrupt enough to let it continue for many more!