Monster lobster dies before release

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Frohickey, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Monster lobster dies before release

FRIENDSHIP LONG ISLAND (Feb 21, 2004): A last-ditch chance at freedom ended on a sad note Friday morning when a 14-pound lobster, affectionately dubbed Hercules, died on Friendship Long Island--just a few days after arriving from Washington state.

Hercules has been the subject of considerable media attention in recent days. Estimated to be 40 or 50 years old, the lobster was purchased at a supermarket in Port Angeles, Wash. by eighth-grade teacher Melissa Withrow, whose class had hoped to have the huge crustacean released in its native waters. The Stevens Middle School students worked with the Lobster Conservancy to get the lobster shipped to Maine via Federal Express.

While Hercules did arrive with a minor injury, the actual cause of death is uncertain.

Everyone involved mourned the loss of the animal, but Lobster Conservancy scientist Diane Cowan said the attempted release was meaningful nonetheless. In addition to providing evidence regarding the success rate of such release projects, Hercules' story has drawn much-needed attention to the plight of large lobsters in the Gulf of Maine.

"Not only did Hercules help to make people aware that lobsters can get quite big, he also drew attention to the need for laws to protect them," Cowan said. "Big lobsters contribute a lot to the reproductive success of lobster populations, producing more eggs and more sperm and contributing to the genetic diversity of populations by traveling great distances to breed. Lobsters don't just get old and stop producing--they continue to breed throughout their lives. This 14-pound male was in his reproductive prime."

Cowan hopes that the efforts of the students and the Lobster Conservancy will draw attention to a bill currently being considered by the Maine Legislature that would prevent Canadian harvesters and others from shipping oversized lobsters across the state. Recognizing the importance of large lobsters to the breeding population, Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts currently have laws that require fishermen to return large lobsters to the sea. Canadians and offshore fishermen have no such laws.

"People have so much emotional investment in this kind of thing, and we wanted to know if it would work. It's not our goal to stop lobsters from being eaten, but we do think that large lobsters need to be protected," said Lobster Conservancy Executive Director Sara Ellis. "We won’t be doing this type of release in the future."

"I've seen lobsters shipped across the country to be released and always wondered if they were really successful or if they just die a few hours or a few days later," Cowan added. "If people really want to protect lobsters of that size, they should get their state to pass laws that prohibit the sale of big lobsters."

Based in Rockland, Staff Reporter David Munson can be reached at 207-594-5351 or by e-mail at dmunson@villagesoup.com.

-----

Memorial services to be held. Seating is limited. Please provide your own butter and lemon juice. :D

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Must have been an allergic reaction to boing water and melted butter. [​IMG]

4. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

One of my favorite Homerisms...

5. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    what did they expect by FedExing the poor bastard.

i'm not sure which is more amazing, that, or the fact that they purchased it in a supermarket!

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

that would have been so tasty with some drawn butter and grilled corn...

:D

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I don't know why, but I can't eat lobster. Well, I do know why. The meat is fine and all, but I can't eat something that's staring right back at me. Oh well, guess I'll have seafood salad for lunch tomorrow ;)

hobbes: one of mine as well.

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wow, thats quite frikken big...
    14 pounds...

I hope the class each got a bite of that!

I hear lobster is good, I am alergic to sea food so :( !

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Certainly sounds like suspicious circumstances. I wonder if the autopsy revealed that the victim was boiled alive...

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    they found an empty shell and traces of garlic butter and pepper...OH MY

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    It's the same old story.

Boy meets Girl.
    Boy meets Lobster.
    Boys befriends lobster.
    Boy dumps girl.
    Boy feeds lobster until it's the size of a two-bedroom apartment.
    Lobster dies of over-consumption and becomes a national hero.

We've all been there people, but it doesn't make it any easier to cope with.

12. iGav macrumors G3

exactly what I was thinking.... :eek: :p :p

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My first thoughts too.

My local Red Lobster probably hates me coming in and going straight to the lobster tank and fawning over Pinchy....

14. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

ahhahahah @the icon at the end.

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'm actually quite surprised that this monster lobster wasn't nicknamed Pinchy. that would have been the first thing on my mind if i saw one that big!

the first pic didn't strike me until i saw the "normal" sized lobster crawling in front. geez, the claws on that lobster is as big as the regular ones! :eek:

16. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Wow, i didn't even notice that little one, i thought it was the other claw.. LOL

17. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Red Lobsters must've intercepted the FedEx delivery. Should've shipped him USPS Priority Mail.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't imagine that at the age of 40 - 50 years the lobster would have been all that tasty. Usually meat from an older animal become tough with a less than enjoyable taste. I feel sorry for the poor lobster, hopefully he had a full and satisfactory life.

19. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe, maybe not.

I know for terrestial animals (turf) that is true, and the older animals are better off as sausage material.

For aquatic animals (surf), the extremely small ones are too much work to eat, and the big ones are just fine for eating. I'm thinking ol' Pinchy would be just fine for eating.

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I feel sorry for the lobster.:(

I think it is very cruel that lobsters at the supermarket are packed like sardines in a small tank and have their claws tied up.

21. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I take it you are a vegetarian. Wait, isn't it cruel to put plants neatly separated in monotonous equally spaced rows with bland scenery? Isn't it cruel to leave them out in the hot sun, and then chop them up later?

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The claws being tied up is to keep them from hurting each other. Its a kindness.

23. ClimbingTheLog macrumors 6502a

Cause of Death

Drop-kicked out of the f***in' FedEx airplane.

The box still had the runway number embossed in it when it arrived.

At least most of my FedEx deliveries do, if they can find the house in a week for my overnight packages.