Months into the Battle: iBooks or Kindle for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by xomphos, Nov 10, 2010.

What is Your eBook Reading Software Solution on Your iPad?

1. iBooks

39 vote(s)
  2. Kindle, and I do not own an actual Kindle device

30 vote(s)
  3. Kindle, and I do own an actual Kindle device

17 vote(s)
  1. macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2007
    I recently purchased an iPad and am looking to start reading eBooks. Looking at the reading apps available on the ipad, there are two major contenders: iBooks and Kindle. I currently do not own a Kindle or do I know if I will be purchasing one soon; however, I want the platform I buy into to be supported well into the future because of things like DRM and how content works in the long run. What e-reading app do you use, even if you don't have a Kindle?
  2. macrumors 68000

Jul 2, 2010
  3. macrumors 68030

Sep 23, 2006
    And filled with garbage. Kindle all the way!

4. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2002
    You forgot the nook ...

Personally I use the iPad with:
    - Kindle App - I already had a decent set of ebooks there.
    - nook App - bought my wife a nook for Anniversary, and so we can share books that way. Sweet!
    - iBooks - all of those books from MobiPocket, eReader, MS Reader, and on and on through the wasteland of lost eBook formats of the last two decades, reformatted to ePub in Calibri.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Apr 5, 2010
  6. macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
  7. macrumors 68030

Oct 6, 2008
    iBooks app > Kindle app IMO.

But when you add in selection plus the ability to read my books on many more devices (PC, Mac, Kindle, Android, etc.) makes the kindle app better for me.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I have all three ebook apps on my iPad. Most of the ebooks I have are in iBooks, but I do have several in the kindle app since I had that app on my iPhone long before I had the iPad. due to the iPhone size I never really used it as much as I've used the iPad for reading. I also have the Nook app on my iPad and all three seem to offer similar features. The kindle app though, seems to have the widest selection of titles.
  9. macrumors regular

Nov 7, 2007
    Czech republic
    It depends what you need. I like Stanza the best because it has no distracting graphics like iBooks has, it reads anything I throw into it, integrates to "Open In" dialogue which together with Dropbox and my eBook collection there is a killer combo.

On the other hand when I am looking for books in English to buy I always use Kindle. Amazon offer is great and Kindle sync automatically across all my devices.
  10. northy124, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2007
    From the 2 iBooks I have in my collection I have found I like the way of reading within iBooks but Amazon (and B&N) have a better selection to choose from :)

If only I could add Kindle/Nook books to the iBooks app then I'd be happy :)

Edit: I'd like to add that looking through the Nook selection it seems 100x better than Kindle so I'd place B&N Nookbook Store in first :)
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I really like the iBooks app over the Kindle app but the Kindle selection can't be beat right now.
  12. macrumors member

Sep 29, 2010
    The kindle interface blows. It has the biggest and best selection of books, yet it ranks very close to the bottom on user interface. iBooks is way better to read on than Kindle, but it has a piss poor selection of books. Stanza is cool interface. Nook, kobo, borders, free books, and just about all book reader apps to download have a more intuitive design for the reader than Kindle.

I am so disappointed with Kindle. The actual e-reading devices sold by Kindle have a really cool interface and if you ask me they left out the reader experience on the iPad App intentionally so that they would not lose market share on the electronic devices.

They rank at the bottom on feel and reading. I feel like I am reading off a blank piece of paper on the Kindle.
  13. macrumors member

Feb 19, 2006
    Right now? The Kindle App as the Kindle Store currently has a better selection than iBooks. It also syncs my purchases across several platforms including my MBP, my Windows Desktop and eventually my BlackBerry (in Canada the BB Kindle app does not yet work...or at least didn't the last time I tried).

I can see myself purchasing more iBooks down the road simply because I frequently get iTunes cards for gifts and get use those to buy books.
  14. macrumors 6502

Apr 14, 2006
    And you can redownload all of your digital content at any time with I have had so many issues with iTunes and have lost so much content with no easy way to just redownload what I have paid for.

I am even doing Amazon for my music download too.
  15. macrumors 68000

May 9, 2006
    My thoughts exactly.
  16. Guest

Jul 3, 2007
    why not use both?

K is far ahead in it's selection and I spend most of my time there
  17. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2002
    Um ... no.

18. macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    Why can there not just be one store that everyone accesses?

It's stupid to have different stores for different books on different devices.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Same reason you can buy clothes at Macy's, JCPenney, Kohl's, Gap, Limited, Target, etc. Competition.

Amazon has their bookstore for the Kindle e-reader and Kindle app (Kindle e-reader was developed for Amazon)
    Barnes and Noble has their bookstore for the Nook e-reader and Nook app (Nook e-reader was developed for Barnes & Noble)
    Apple has their bookstore for their iBooks app (for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch)
    Sony has their bookstore for their e-reader

If you only want one source for books pick one and go with it. Your selection choice may vary or be limited though. Some books may be available across all platforms, but Amazon has been in the e-book business a lot longer than Apple, so of course their selection may be larger.

The Kindle and Nook apps are free for the iPad so I don't see a problem with downloading those apps and having the possibility of shopping their associated stores. sure the apps may have a few minor differences in features, but as long as it allows me to read the text I'm OK with it. On my iPad and iPhone I have iBooks, Kindle and Nook (Barnes & Noble reader on iPhone). If one does not have a book I really want to read, I will go to one of the others and can find it at one of the three choices.

Amazon and Barnes & Noble created iOS versions of their readers to open their marketplace to a larger audience. They understand that many who own an iPad may not want to buy an e-reader, or maybe after using say the Kindle app, may decide to buy a Kindle for themselves or as a gift for a loved one that may not necessarily want or need an iPad.
  20. Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I buy unprotected ePub books from OReilly and also own a Nook WiFi so it's Nook > iBooks > Kindle on the iPad and iPhone.

(I do occasionally pick up the occasional Kindle only book despite not owning a Kindle).

21. macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2008
    There's no selection for both. I tend to use iBooks more, but I also use Kindle for certain books or certain book versions I can't get on the iBook store.

You know there's multiple versions of even a general freebie book like Alice and Wonderland? Yep. There are actual text differences between various versions. I believe I had to go look at iBooks and Kindle to nab different versions of the book.
  22. ReallyBigFeet, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

macrumors 68030

Apr 15, 2010
    Kindle is the better reading APP on the iPad IMO. But iBooks isn't terrible...I just dislike it for low-light reading since it doesn't have a white-text-on-black-background option.

I will say that when surfing around the web I tend to find a LOT more free (legal) ePUB-formatted files however. That alone makes the iBook app worth keeping on there.
  23. macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    Not quite the same.

No one is stopping you from walking into any of the cloths stores and buying what you want.

To follow your scenario it would be like having to buy one expensive key and that key only allowed you into certain shops to buy their product.
  24. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2010
    And no one is stopping anyone from browsing the Amazon, Apple, Sony, Borders, or Barnes & Noble stores or any of the wonderful libraries supported by Stanza and buying anything they want. I don't get your analogy with the expensive key.

Personally, I use Stanza whenever I can because I usually read on my iPhone and I prefer the user experience with Stanza on the iPhone.

But, to the OP's original question: iBooks for UI, Kindle for selection. Can you imagine the kids these guys would have if they got married?
  25. macrumors member

Nov 29, 2010
    North Carolina
    I prefer the UI and aesthetics of iBooks, but the catalogue of Kindle.