Montoya to NASCAR

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iTwitch, Jul 9, 2006.

1. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah I saw that earlier. Very interesting to see how he pans out in some real bumper-to-bumper, sheet metal-to-sheet metal racing! :D

3. andym172 macrumors 6502

Hardly a loss to F1 - supposedly couldn't find a seat in next years campaign. Appeared to believe his own hype, and seldom delivered.

Bye Juan Pablo :)

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

So much for Kimi and Michael at Ferrari next year. Maybe they'll keep Massa?

5. minimalistic macrumors regular

WOW Montoya at NASCAR, interesting thing to see :cool:

6. andym172 macrumors 6502

How does Montoya leaving change things?

As it is, I see Kimi joining Renault, not Ferrari.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Because someone high up in McLaren (It may have been Ron) said that one of their current drivers were staying for next year. Now, this obviously isn't set in stone, and McLaren hasn't been all that good this year, but they won't be out of it for very long.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The guys won at Indy, has won the F1 championship. What the hell you talking about.

9. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I hope you are not talking about Montoya. He may have won the Indy 500 back when. ....but he was never an F1 Champion. ...maybe a few races here and there.

Personally I'm glad that he is moving on and away from F1.

10. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

I really enjoyed watching Montoya in F1.... sure he was kinda a crazy driver and probably took too many risks, but when it worked out for him, it really worked out. Take a look at his performance this year for instance. While he has failed to finish half of the races so far, he has scored points in all the other five races he has finished..... Can you name a driver who has scored points in all the races they've finished, other than Alonso of course!

I really think he could have had a shot at some point in his F1 career to win a championship. Even as early as next year, if he could somehow grab that open seat at Renault, or find his way to a team that gets their stuff together for 07.

If anything at the least, this gives me a reason to keep watching NASCAR as I was just about to completely give it up for next year. The stupid Chase for Championship stuff has really started to drive me away from it. And the fact that F1 was just so much better.

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I am really excited by the news. :)

Between this and Toyota joining Cup next year maybe some more of the world will realize that auto races should actually involve passing, lead changes, excitement after Turn 1-2 of Lap 1. You know, racing. :p

12. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

It was Whitemarsh but I don't see Kimi staying?

13. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

F1 championship??? Someone Hurt this guy. :D :eek:

14. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Schumacher?

When JPM was on he was fun to watch but he seemed inconsistant to me.

15. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

It'll be interesting to see JPM in a car that doesn't fall apart with contact. Wait... the MacLaren falls apart due to starting it. :D I may have to give NASCAR another shot.

16. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Why does everyone love NASCAR so much?

It's just a bunch of cars going around a circle, over and over and over. The drivers never turn towards the right. You eat hot dogs until someone crashes and then it becomes worthwhile.

Why?

17. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I'm not sure, but I can watch a dog chase it's tail for hours. Great stuff.

18. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Sigh…

First off, no NASCAR track is a circle. Oval, Tri-oval, rectangle, triangle, etc: Yes. Circle: No.

Second, the Nextel Cup does race at Watkins Glen and Infineon Raceway and the Busch series races on the road course in Mexico City. Not to mention the drivers turn toward the right at every racetrack when leaving their pit box. :p

Look at the results, Alonso has won 60% of the races, Schumacher another 30%…
    F1 is a incredible demonstration of technology and speed but the racing is nonexistent. As far as I can tell, whoever has the most money wins.

There is no parity like in NASCAR or even the IRL.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Have you watched any of the races this year? Schumi tearing up the field at Monaco, coming from 21st on the grid (second to last) to 5th with only a few retirements in front of him? Or how about Alonso hounding him for the last 10-15 laps at Imola, in a reversal from last year? And when these guys do pass, it's a hell of a lot more exciting, because it doesn't remind me of two semis passing each other.
    Yes there is. They're called "spec series", where every car is the same. Why NASCAR even bothers with having a manufacturer championship is beyond me, as the cars are damned near the same anyway.
    Personally, I prefer a series where the competition comes before business, and if the cars aren't equal enough, it's up to the teams to fix it.

Either way, I expect Monty to be quite bored, because he won't be able to pass like this anymore.

20. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Yeah, this year has been a good one.

Woah! And I thought Alonso's 130R pass last year was something. I will miss JPM a lot. He was a good character in the pits and added an intereresting angle to F1.

Good luck to him in... that other sport masquerading as racing. I won't be watching.

Heh, in last years cars with ringer drivers who can actually drive a road course. Sears Point is more demo derby than race. I assume the Glen is much the same. Its fun to watch but it ain't racing.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Judging from how fast Kimi got behind Schu there, I'd say Michael backed off a leetle bit. ;)
    But I think Hakkinen passing Schu at Spa '00 is one of the greatest passes ever.

22. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Hrrrmmm...we're gonna need someone to teach Montoya rednek... ;)

23. andym172 macrumors 6502

I can see where you're coming from, and agree to a certain extent (F1 certainly isn't the 'race' it used to be), but if it were solely down to who has the most money, Toyota would be where Renault currently are, and vice-versa.

Toyota have spent HUGE money on F1 and have achieved little. Conversely, Renault have spent relatively minor amounts (compared to Ferrari/McLaen/Toyota) yet have the best car, and the best results.

Regarding Montoya - lets not beat about the bush. He's jumped before he was shoved. I doubt any of the front running F1 teams would have been willing to pay his high wages, and it was he (or his agent) knocking on the teams doors, not the other way round.
    He pulled off a few good moves during his F1 career, but lately had become quite stale.

It's good for him, and F1, that he's moved on. I look forward to somebody else taking his place (hopefully Hamilton!).

24. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

One point about spending, Renault wasn't new to F1 and they took over Benetton. They had alot in place from day one. Can't remember about Toyota, were they another take over or did they start from scratch? It's getting hard to keep track of who's who?

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Toyota started from sorta-scratch. They already had facilities in Germany from their WRC and GTOne projects, so they built a test car, and spent all of 2001 testing.
    Red Bull bought Jaguar, which was formerly Stewart, which was something else before that.
    Midland used to be Jordan.
    Torro Rosso used to be Minardi.
    Super Aguri is another sorta-scratch starter. They're using (heavily, I presume) modified Arrows chassis from 2002.
    BMW-Sauber, well, that one's obvious.
    Renault was formerly Bennetton, which was formerly Toleman, (which ran Renault engines from '95 on, as did Williams from '89-97), the now-defunct Prost team was based on Ligier, etc.