Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Good boy Monty for moving over the pond again. I've followed him since F3000 and someone who wins F3000/CART/Indy500 at his first attempt is no slouch!

Schumachers comments at the last race just prove how stuck up his own rear he is. He was saying he doesn't see the challenge in NASCAR is its heavy cars, low technology and looks easy. Have some respect Michael! When Jeff Gordon drove the F1 at Indy a few years ago he only did what 5 laps and was only 1.5secs of the pace. he got out and was "i have such respect for F1 drivers". Thats a proper sportsman respecting other sportsman for what they do. He could have got out and gone "pah thats easy that is, all technology, nail the throttle and let the TCS sort it out." but no he didn't.

F1 has lost its touch and people are loosing interest. I can't be bothered to watch F1 anymore and just stick to Champ Car, IRL, Nascar and MotoGP.

Michael, your an idiot for comments like that. Monty, good on you, you'll do fine!

Oh and everyone who says its easy turning left, have you ever raced on an oval? I have and beleive me its no walk in the park!

jonv

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
uk
This is great news.
Hopefully this will help boost the popularity of Nascar and oval racing in europe.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I don't really like NASCAR all that much, I've watched a few races here and there though. I don't like the redneck image that many of the people invloved in the sport seem to enjoy basking in, the whole "NASCAR was born out of rum-runners racing Ford V8s full of moonshine" thing...and the cars are fairly boring, though that is a function of the rules and not the quality of the mechanics/designers. I find racing on a road course a lot more exciting to watch than oval-track

Still, maybe this is a good move for Montoya. In case anyone hasn't noticed, F1 can be pretty boring at times, especially when pit tactics or team orders decide a race. I wish that F1 had more passing. When the moves come they are usually really exciting but the moments are too few and far between methinks.

Schumi can say whatever he wants (I doubt he would have too much trouble winning NASCAR races given an even average car and maybe a season to adjust), and there is something to what he says IMHO, but sometimes F1 is a little too full of itself to admit that it isn't always the pinnacle of motorsport from a spectator's point of view. More passing would be nice.

I think that Montoya is still also pretty saleable in F1, had he wanted to stay. McLaren can hardly blame him for the vast majority of their problems for the last couple seasons. I'll miss his aggressive style in F1, but maybe I'll put up with all the cowboy hats and rebel yells and watch him in a couple NASCAR races...

jonv

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
uk
AndyR said:
Oh and everyone who says its easy turning left, have you ever raced on an oval? I have and beleive me its no walk in the park!

I see you are from Northampton in UK. I presume you have oval experience at Rockingham ?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I liked Schumi's response to the question "Do you think Montoya will be successful in Nascar?" Answer: "No... But I wish him the best" :eek:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
AndyR said:
Good boy Monty for moving over the pond again. I've followed him since F3000 and someone who wins F3000/CART/Indy500 at his first attempt is no slouch!

Schumachers comments at the last race just prove how stuck up his own rear he is. He was saying he doesn't see the challenge in NASCAR is its heavy cars, low technology and looks easy. Have some respect Michael! When Jeff Gordon drove the F1 at Indy a few years ago he only did what 5 laps and was only 1.5secs of the pace. he got out and was "i have such respect for F1 drivers". Thats a proper sportsman respecting other sportsman for what they do. He could have got out and gone "pah thats easy that is, all technology, nail the throttle and let the TCS sort it out." but no he didn't.

F1 has lost its touch and people are loosing interest. I can't be bothered to watch F1 anymore and just stick to Champ Car, IRL, Nascar and MotoGP.

Michael, your an idiot for comments like that. Monty, good on you, you'll do fine!

What an unbelievably, vitriolic post.

Schumacher said nothing derogatory of NASCAR or it's drivers, and certainly didn't brand NASCAR as "easy".

He was merely explaining that it held no interest for him. So... what exactly did he say that makes him such an "idiot"???

Regarding Montoya... he only moved to NASCAR because he wouldn't have had a competitive seat in F1 for 2007, no other reason.

Regards.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
jonv said:
I see you are from Northampton in UK. I presume you have oval experience at Rockingham ?

Yeah I have driven Rockingham once but my oval experience was in the USA. I did a race in the Barbar Dodge Pro Series (champ car junior series) at Milwaukee and I also did an Infiniti Pro Series Test at Homestead Miami. Both times after that the money has run out so I haven't been able to race in the championship but still working on it and hopefully will have the money for next year to do IPS.

Even in these junior cars, 180mph that close to a concreate wall was an eye opener, but bloody good fun! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.