Montreal's (Canada) Metro is getting the iPod Treatment

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by srobert, Feb 26, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

With all these talks about an Apple store in Canada. I'd like to point out that since this morning, the Mc'Gill Metro station has been iPodized. Booths and turnstile are now covered with the colored iPod ads. I'll try to get a pic when I come back to work tomorrow.

UPDATE: I now got some pics.

—>Click me to see full sized pictures <—

Thumbs:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

By the way, there is something wrong with one of these pics. Can you fint what? ;)

2. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

hahaha, sweet, now i'll have something to look forward to when i go back to school after the break.

i started noticing some ipod ads in the bus shelters a couple weeks ago, haven't seen any in a while though.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

FYI

There is also a east facing wall (next to a parking lot) one block west from Queen and Universtiy getting the iPod treatment here in Toronto. As I went by yesterday evening they were still painting it on, but I suspect they'll be done either today or tomorrow. Could this be part of a campain launch... like maybe the Canadian Apple stores or the introduction of iTMS to the great white north?

4. Mantat macrumors 6502a

How many people do you see with iPods when you take the metro / bus ? I would say that I take the metro twice a day and I have never seen more than one person per day.

On the other hand, I rarely encounter the same person twice so it means that there are a lot of iPod users...

5. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

between school and commuting, i'd say i see maybe 4, 5 ipods a day, that's assuming that there aren't too many other brands of white headphones out there, though i'm pretty sure i can tell when its not an ipod.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont use the earbuds, and i know a lot of fellow ipod users who have opted to upgrade their headphones, so now i look for belt clip if i cant find the white head phones. still i see on average at least 3 users a day

7. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I dont understand why people complain about the headphone. I have a 3rd generation iPod and the sound is excellent. Or maybe I am just easy sastified...

My complain is that the battery wear down quite fast when not used. If I leave it at half for 3 days, its going to be empty. But I still manage to get 5-6h with a full charge if I use it in less than 2 days. Anyone has this problem? SHould I contact Apple about it?

8. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Maybe when we're seeing people with iPods in the Montreal metro, we're simply seeing each other o_O

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    we arent complaining about the quality, i meant he earbuds are just fine, but they are still earbuds, i prefer grado or senheissers

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Montreal's Metro is pretty nice. Those rubber tires are a good idea from a rider's standpoint, but must be hell on the maintenance budget.

11. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

What about the wooden brakes ^_^

Extract from the STM site:

Why can you sometimes smell peanuts in the métro?

Mechanical brakes relay the electrical brakes in the last 20 metres of the train's run. They are meant to make the braking process more pleasant for the passengers. They are cast in brake shoes made of cherry wood coated with peanut oil, which produces the particular odour that is perceived when the train brakes at high speeds.

12. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I now got pictures. Go to the first post to have a look.

By the way, I'd like to see that iPod painted Toronto wall too.

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hmmmm well my girlfriend might be busy this Sunday so I might just take a trip down to snap a pic or two. :) err since she might be busy that should be a :(

14. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

A pic of your girlfrind? :D I was'nt sure at first until I read the quote. Funny. Are they done painting it? I wonder If they'll get the shaded highlights right (belts, armbands, jewelry, etc) ^_^. Oh well, I Guess I can be too critical sometimes.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

! :eek:

16. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Ya.. the metro of Montréal is very nice and welldone. I really like the 'FI DOU DA' noise when the metro starts but I read that they are changing the electric system and that noise is eventualy going to go.

The wooden brake is supposed to be superior to other systems in term of cost/maintenance. And the smell is very pleasant too...

17. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

What? No more "Fi Dou Da"? If they can't produce it electrically, they should output it through speakers attached to the metro, just for old times sake.

The first time I heard it it caught my attention. But you get used to it. I actually don't recall hearing it for years, I guess I grew too acustomed to it. I'll pay special attention tonight :D

18. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Ya.. no more fi dou da... I think the only metro that still have it are on the green line. I think it was part of the charm of the metro and it was also one of the things that made it unique...

Guys, are you aware that there is a small mac expo in Québec soon? look for the infos on www.macbidouille.com if you are interested.

19. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

You know, if only apple moved the ipod ad they had on the stairs to the escalator, it would draw a lot of attention, with the ad scrolling up and all.

20. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Hey! I just took the metro on the green line and there were'nt any Fi Dou da!

Again, here is a fact taken from the STM website:

Why does the métro sound three musical notes when it leaves the station?

In order to ensure a smooth departure, the MR-73 cars (servicing lines 2-orange, 4-yellow and 5-blue) are equipped with power choppers that release at short intervals the 750 volts needed to make the train go forward. It is these power choppers that produce the three notes heard upon upon departure.

21. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

TTC in Toronto does a 3 chime sound to tell you "either get your butt on the subway quickly or wait for the next one."

I think there's a pink iPod ad facing south on either Bathurst (pretty sure) or Spadina, near King in Toronto too.

;)

22. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Doesn't surprise me

Montreal is a slick town, always has been since the days of Lafleur, Shutt and Cournoyer.

"Guy! Guy! Guy!"

:)

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well as promised here are some pics of the TO iPod ads. BTW I noticed that St. George station has been given the iPod treatment so I snaped afew pics after I was done working out. Sorry about the quality, but I forgot to charge my batteries so a quick pic or two was all I got :(

Queen Street Lot #1
    <image Removed, sorry needed the space>

Queen Street Lot #2

St. George Station

St. George Station Stairs to Bloor line

St. George Station Trash Can

24. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I would just like to point out that yesterday was a grand day: it was the confirmation of the iPod domination in montreal!

Usually I see max 2 people in the metro with iPod, yesterday I saw 5-6 on a 30mins trip. This morning, same thing! Seems like the iPod is really getting popular.

I just wonder how many of them are mac users...

25. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I agree. Since this thread started about a month ago, I've seen a crazy increase in the number of ipods around montreal.... downtown, on the buses and metro, at mcgill, everywhere. Those ads at McGill metro and on the various lit up signs around downtown really seem to have had their desired affect..."must... buy... ipod". haha, i haven't been suckered yet, 400$ in my pocket and my mp3 cd player are plenty enough fun for me.

Its crazy that its done so well even though the itunes service isn't even available yet here. i guess itms makes it popular in the states, which rubs off on us even though we don't even have access to the store yet. and when is that gonna happen anyways?