Monty Python Fans!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

For New Year's Eve, my wife and I went to Chicago to see Spamalot , the soon to be Broadway Musical based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail - written by Eric Idle and directed by Mike Nichols. Its in Chicago until the end of January and then its going to New York.

It was absolutely the best show I've seen - and being a fan of Monty Python it was so much fun. A lot has been changed and rearranged, but many of the great scenes are still in the play, almost verbatim.

We were sitting on the isle, 16 rows from the stage, 3 rows directly behind Mike Nichols and his wife Diane Sawyer (of TV news fame) and 8 rows directly behind Eric Idle and his wife!

Eric would run up the isle a few seconds before the end of the first act and end of the show - I managed to get to talk to him for a micro second when we were all on our feet for the standing ovation at the end.

It was such a great show and I'm hoping to get tickets when it goes to New York, but I'll probably wait a bit while the frenzy settles down that will soon follow on the premiere there.

All I can say is that if you are a fan of Monty Python and can manage to get tickets you should.

I grabbed a few souvenirs as well, I might post pics...

D

2. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Very cool! I may have to plan a trip up north sometime after it warms up a little. :)

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting cast.

And that web site is zany. I can see they've captured the essence of Python.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Aw MAN... lucky! :D I sure hope they bring it over here on the West Coast! I will SO go to see that.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Feb 14th

And if you can manage to sit in the 1st row, 1st seat you will get a prize from the cast and get pulled up on stage at the end :D

Let me know what you think....there are a few things in it that are a nod to Mel Brooks - which I found quite funny, if a bit interesting. I also found out that it was Eric Idle who originally told Mel to make Producers into a musical.

D

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks for the tip about first row & seat... ;)

well i guess it will be coming to Australia... eventually? like most things i guess... :rolleyes:

well, one can only hope. :D

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"We eat ham and jam and Spamalot!"

Looks like the stage version of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is a success. "Spamalot" officially opened on Broadway last night and got great reviews.

Nice to see that, in this troubled world, some things are still just as good as they used to be. :D

'Tis a silly link.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did you see the play already??? You lucky dog.

Personally I can't wait until it makes it's way to SF.

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So did I :D

Did you see it in Chicago? We saw it on New Years Eve and it was fantastic....

I'd love to see it on Broadway again, though.

D

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

dammit. Now that song is going through my head...

12. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I saw it in Chicago - excellent! I hate musicals but this was hilarious. The cast (David Hyde Pierce, Tim Curry and Frank Azaria) were fantastic.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else seen Mama Mia!? That's the last musical I saw (about 6-8 months ago) and I really enjoyed it. It's nice to leave the theater smiling every once in a while, no? :D

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    looks good im going to ny next week i hope i can get a ticket :)

15. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I was so psyked when I read that they were making "Spamalot", I really hope I can see it at some point.

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Saw it Saturday on Broadway. It was a christmas gift from my wife.

Talk about anticipation. Unwrap the present and see tickets for a show that looks like it will be awesome and then realize I had to wait almost 3 months for it.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

To those who saw it already: you lucky b*stards. You lucky, lucky b*stards.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Eric Idle gave a talk (interview format) here in Los Angeles last night to promote his new book. While autographing copies afterwards, he commented on how they pick a member from the Spamalot audience to bring up on stage. It was originally whoever was sitting in a particular seat number, but once word got out and tickets for that seat started being sold for high prices on eBay, they changed to a random seat number.

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Not really "the same" by any means but you can get the Spam-a-lot soundtrack off iTunes... it's even the original cast! :p

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Seeing as I will not be going to NY anytime soon, I think that I will have to download this...

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its pretty cool. I got the physical CD. You can get a fairly good feel for the show listening to it. You loose the funny dialog though. The taunting, the constitutional peasant. The Knights Who say Ni.

When I saw a preview show I think the Knights went off script for the new name because Tim Curry almost lost it on stage. Sara Ramierez was close to it 3 or 4 times as well.

22. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I knew that was going to happen. I'd love to go again in New York and get to go up on stage :D When I went, the guy who was in the seat had no clue about it and I think that added to the show. Now its going to be a little different, not sure it will be better.

D

23. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I am absolutely green of envy. I have loved these guys since the original MPFC, through all their movies (life of brian and the holy grail are my favourites). These fellows are absolutly brilliant. The only one that comes close would be Rowan Atkinson.
    Quoting blackadder above: you lucky lucky bastards.