Moon Landing Hoax - Video Proof

Discussion in 'Community' started by voicegy, May 5, 2004.

1. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    As the screaming headline states from the website:

"An investigative journalist uncovers a 31-year-old mislabeled, unedited reel of footage (dated three days into the flight) that shows the Apollo 11 crew falsifying part of their photography!"

http://www.moonmovie.com/

This website is wild. The video (or DVD) offered for sale on the site (29 bucks plus 5 bucks shipping) claims to show the Apollo 11 crew engaged in falsifying some photography. Of course, there's not one shred of an outtake or single picture from the footage - you'd have to buy it to see for yourself. (the "Part 2 Preview" is a free download, and is worth seeing just to watch one of the astronauts punch this guy in the face)

So...is this supposed footage/web site a hoax on its own...or is it pointing to the biggest hoax of the 20th century?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

dont really know what to make of all of this, interesting read none the less

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

so, are you gonna take one for the team Voicegy, or do we have to just wonder forever? :D I bet they buried Hoffa on the moon when they were falsifying the photography ;)

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

5. alxths macrumors 6502

I relaly hope the video contains nothing more than a guy sitting on a pile of money laughing histarically... and then they could sell a compilation of people's reactions to the first movie.. hmm that's a good idea, wonder why i never thought of it before. Why am I posting it here where all these people can steal it? Why am i typing what I'm thinking? Ack, better stop before i say too muchlasf ljsd

6. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

The technology that (supposedly) sent us to the moon was - and IS - sound. How people could subscribe to the theory that we never went in the first place is narrow-minded and ridiculous!

How do the doubters explain such occurances as -

* the cloud of debris caused by the aftermath of the explosion of the oxygen tanks on Apollo 13 that could be seen by amateur astronomers on Earth?

* the collection of moon rocks from the surface - including "Genesis Rock"?

* Alan Shephard hitting a golf ball for miles on video with ONE hand?

* the famous "Moonrise" photograph?

* the MULTIPLE Apollo missions, and the amount of people associated with them? (Don't you think it's somehow strange that not ONE person has come forward from the project to openly state that the Moon landings were false?).

I mean - I can understand peoples' skepticism if it were only ONE launch, but SIX successful lunar landings?!? Aww - please!

:rolleyes:

...And with THAT - I now have 1000 posts...

Yay!

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.

IMHO:

1. Which amateur astronomers ? Amateur astonomers are like people who live near Loch Ness. They've all got siting stories just to keep their hopes and beliefs alive, irrespective of the truth. Tell a lie enough times to enough people and not only they may believe it, you'll start to believe it as well.

2. Expert geologist are we? Or have you just read the little plaque that accompanies it behind the glass cabinet?

3. Alan Shepherd works for the Daily Planet under the pseudonym of Clark Kent. (Yes, that was a weak explanation, but then I haven't actually seen the video so I can't really comment)

4. Photographs, schmotographs. Scale was all wrong.

5. If they just did the one trip, then more people would have wondered what the point it was all for. So wot lie 6 times and flesh the program out? I've been to KSC and there's no proof, just relics of a bygone industry and weird tasting ice cream.

6. Conrats on your 1000!! I'll be about 75 before I catch up with that sort of figure. So well done sir.

Personally, I couldn't care whether we got there or not. Skeptics and believers both have their champions and arguments. I see nothing concrete. And I certainly don't see what the human race has got out of all the fuss. Non-stick pans would have been invented eventually. ;)

8. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

You forgot to mention your "earth is flat" argument.

9. ecche macrumors regular

the whole world followed that event quite closely, scientists from various countries (including the Eastern bloc) tracing the signals coming from the landing team on the moon.

it's quite hard to believe that they could have either missed the fact that theses signals were not coming from the moon but from hollywood or that they simply should have kept quiet about it...

10. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

11. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Lets not forget that the spaceshuttle WAS covered all over in 6 foot of lead for protection so that radiation wouldn't kill the crew once they left the confines of the ozone and the Val Halen belt. Once in space and on the moon nothing would of protected them from radiation except for that lead lining.

The spacesuits had it as well lest we forget.

Now you are wondering what the hell i'm talking about? There was no lead lining, CrackedButter is talking gibberish.

Of course I am, thats because we never had that protection in the first place, if they went, those guys would all be dead long ago from poisioning.
    That much lead is required if we COULD go.

The photos or whatever they are, are also doctored in two possible ways.

1. They didn't go and it is from a movie studio. For some reason, stars cannot be seen from the moon but on earth they can!

2. Ignore the thing about the lead lining because they DID go but doctored the photos because they didn't turn out right due to being covered in complete darkness and the US flag on their suits couldn't be seen. They did it so we could see a better quality image for example.

But then there are other points to consider which would go into quite allot of depth and I am not feeling that geeky today nor do I have the time either. I've given you enough for now. :)

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well the video isn't saying that we never went to the moon, that would be absolutely crazy. :rolleyes:

it's just saying that the Apollo 11 mission was a hoax. i'd like to see that DVD just to analyze the footage myself. anyway, who knows how being in space could distory shadows etc? :p

and yeah, that guy really got hit! *smack!* :D Astronaughts Gone Wild indeed...

you've also gotta love their logo, with the little dude with the funny face as the moon. :p

13. iGav macrumors G3

The Van Halen belt... :p :p :p

I found this most interesting...

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/NOT_faked/

14. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

EXTENSIVE REBUTAL

This site goes into great detail about the blatant mistakes that the pro-hoax people make in their arguments. Its a great read.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes they would have needed craploads of shielding, what with no magnetic field shielding them from such rays and all. They should have all died by now from cancer. In fact, they seriously ran the risk of suffering from Hematopoietic syndrome (ie: bone-marrow death) and should have died within several weeks since the amount of whole body radiation they were exposed to was probably high enough (4Gy of whole body radiation). Or maybe Gastrointestinal syndrome, where the intestinal lining scuffs off and holes appear.

I'm not a space expert, but I do know my radiation. That "Phil Plait" website link above has a very funny rebuttal of the radiation argument, and HIS source (also a website, conveniently), does some of the dodgiest calculations EVER. Damn near fell off my chair laughing. :p

I'm not sure about what types of doses they got (never did dosimetry in outer space), but if there's an explanation to the rad'n argument, the above link wasn't it. :D

Being in space wouldn't have blocked out the stars. Stars would be more visible, although they wouldn't appear to "twinkle" or grow-and-shrink in size.

16. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    The stars would not be visible. Simple if you know about photography.

Notice how bright the foreground is? This would make it so that the stars would not become exposed enough in the shot, unless of course, you wanted the foreground to be one blob of light.

Proof

Perfectly clear night. See any stars? (You don't because the shutter was never open long enough to capture them... among other reasons.)

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

www.badastronomy.com is a great site, been going there for years. I especially love the space movie science critiques :D

I would really love to hear from someone who bought the video. Can't do that myself, I have no desire to give my money to this guy. Its worse than the guy who's selling Moon property - it made him millions and he's still got lots more to *sell*.

D

18. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

19. ammonihah99 macrumors newbie

20. ecche macrumors regular

So it is!

Thank you and ... welcome to the site where no windows man has gone before...

21. mhar4 macrumors member

Wow, that's the dumbest site I've ever seen. "Nixon was a crook, the moon landings were faked!" Of course! How could we not have seen that irrefutable causal link before?!

What not get upset about a real scandal, like Saddam's faked WMD?

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You are right, ammonihah99. Great site - simple answers to the common hoax claims. Thanks for posting it.

23. evil macrumors 6502

last week, late at night on discovery channel or another similar channel there was a program devoted to this topic.
    it assessed the various reasons why people claim the moon landing was a hoax. it concluded that the landing was real. it was pretty interesting, but i also dont think every reason they gave to refute the hoax was particularly persuasisive.

24. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Savage...

I consider myself an amateur astronomer, have stargazed with amateur astronomers, and can safely say that you haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about.

Amateur astronomers are people who can not or choose not to be professional astronomers or astrophysicists. It's a hobby to us because the grandness of the universe fascinates us. It's about real science, not the nonsense you spewed out.

We study the night sky because we want to see with our own eyes the indescribable things shown in magazines and planetariums. We enjoy astrophotography, photographing these incredible sights. We discover comets, sometimes when the professionals miss them. We do what the professionals do, just on a smaller scale.

Now what hopes/beliefs/lies are you talking about?