Moped Detonated in Security Scare

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Punani, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Story Link

I think that the world is getting far too paranoid for its own good. :(

Seriously, how would a moped be interpreted to be a bomb threat? Did anyone ask the DMV if they were aware of the moped locked to the fence? The article seems to imply that the police didn't notice plates on it and therefore warranted it to be a major security risk. :eek:

Oh boy, the precedents that could set...

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think that it posed a valid security threat because it was not quickly and positively identifiable. If there is any doubt as to whether it is dangerous or not it should be assumed dangerous.

I am curious about one thing though: when they were evacuating the area (which I assume included the registration office) why didn't they simply ask if anybody owned the red moped chained to the fence?

It's an unfortunate accident, but nobody was hurt and a moped is easily replaced, which I'm sure will happen.

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

That's a damn good question! Overzealous policemen? :p

4. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Note to parents:

Don't leave your children unattended. . . .

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    People probably were asked. Also consider that this took place in England which used to have a problem with unattended items exploding.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The person that allowed her to park there should have said something. Apparently that took the better safe than sorry approach. The police owe her a new moped.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

In Israel, people will quickly clear a bus if anyone sees a bag or purse unattended. People are much more aware of bomb dangers in sensitive areas.

8. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Some friends of mine were flying back from Istanbul to Copenhagen. They had to change planes in Paris de Gaulle airport for which they had only 45 min - making them disappointed that they wouldn't have time to shop there. Great was their joy when all planes were suddenly delayed for 3 hours.

However - it turns out that the reason for this delay was the fact that an electrical shaver had turned on by itself in one of their bags. The strange mechanic sound had alerted the guys handling the baggage, who had then alerted airport security.

In an operation so efficient it would give a normal frenchman headache to just imagine, they promptly put a shipping container and some explosives on top of my friends bag and blew it to little pieces...

A

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

In Israel, people know of the dangers there of leaving a bag unattended. They also have it down to a science. Bag profiles and everything.

10. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers