Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Come on mophie gives us the lightning connector, stop messing around with microusb.

I disagree completely. Almost every other device I carry uses micro USB, the fact that this does too means I can carry a micro USB cable and charge my iPhone, Kindle, LG Bluetooth Headset, miFi, etc.

It's also a nice bonus, because if I'm somewhere and need to charge without a cable, most everyone has a micro USB charger as well.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I almost want to say that some of y'all should think about getting your device checked out if your iPhone 5 is severely having battery issues. Even my "ancient" (in tech years it's almost there) iPhone 4 lasts a full day of browsing on 3G, playing heavy games, and even a little GPS. Yet an iPhone 5 can't last 3 hours doing that? Yep is get your device checked out. I've never heard of (and all I do is visit tech sites as a tech nerd) anyone have terrible iPhone 5 battery life even power users.

S

syd430

Tactfully charging the phone through out the day is probably a better approach for 95% of people.

gonca

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
Europe
IMHO this ad is a bit ridiculous.. Nowadays most of the people based their job into a laptop/pc office so they can charge it at anytime .. My case, always leave the office with 100% battery.

Speaking about the ad.. and just.

hamiltonrrwatch

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
I'm sad to see that sacrificing features such as battery life was even a consideration for them.

Yes but what would the 3rd party sellers do if Apple installed a battery that actually gave eight hours of use? :D

----------

I've never heard of (and all I do is visit tech sites as a tech nerd) anyone have terrible iPhone 5 battery life even power users.

I've had five iPhone 5's as a result of hardware, software, and cosmetic issues. Not one lasted more than 5 1/2 hours from a full charge, including my latest. BTW, I'm in no way a "power user".

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Does anyone still really have a problem with their iPhone five battery?

I use mine pretty heavily throughout the day but at night I still have plenty of battery left.

I get about 7 hours use before charging again.

----------

That's a great idea. I'd be interested if it lasted 2-3 days.

Lol! Yes, apparently you have a problem with the battery ;)

----------

Of course, you do realize this isn't just an Apple problem? ALL the major smart phones on the market don't last much beyond a day anymore. It's become a pretty standard part of life... go to bed, plug in your smart phone to recharge overnight.

Wouldn't it be great if the premium supplier of smartphones solved a problem for its users that all other suppliers (er... Except for Motorola with the Maxx) didn't fix? Isn't that the kind of thing iPhone users expect out of apple, exceptionalism instead of normality?

----------

I almost want to say that some of y'all should think about getting your device checked out if your iPhone 5 is severely having battery issues. Even my "ancient" (in tech years it's almost there) iPhone 4 lasts a full day of browsing on 3G, playing heavy games, and even a little GPS. Yet an iPhone 5 can't last 3 hours doing that? Yep is get your device checked out. I've never heard of (and all I do is visit tech sites as a tech nerd) anyone have terrible iPhone 5 battery life even power users.

Well I guess you can't say THAT anymore can you? Because now you've heard if a bunch of power users who have insufficient battery life. Not saying its terrible, but if I go from work to a happy hour and don't have time to charge during the day, it will die before I get home. Last week I had great tickets to an NBA game at 7. I had to put my phone in airplane mode around 4 to ensure I had enough juice to take pictures at the game.

----------

Tactfully charging the phone through out the day is probably a better approach for 95% of people.

Definitely. For the OTHER 5%, the iPhone Maxx is the better option.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Agreed. I'm at 3 hours use, 19 hours standby, 59% remaining. Far more than good enough to get through a day.

Though I'll admit those numbers change a lot when signal strength is weak.

Does anyone still really have a problem with their iPhone five battery?

I use mine pretty heavily throughout the day but at night I still have plenty of battery left.

I get about 7 hours use before charging again.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

I guess you missed this 230 page (and counting) thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4329696?start=0&tstart=0

I don't know if the i5 is way worse than i4 but the i4 was never good enough in the first place. My i4 lasts at most 3-4 hours of real-world use (I'm not talking about standby) and there are many people that report similar battery life for the i5. It's not inconceivable that I might spend a day shopping or sightseeing in the city and not be constantly tethered to my desk for vital life blood to be magically delivered intravenously via USB. In these cases I'm frequently flat before I get my (long) train ride home and well before dinner time if I decide to stay out and go to a restaurant. I might also be working in the field or be a consultant who has to visit clients throughout the day.

Part of the problem might be from having the screen at maximum brightness but I find during the day that is absolutely necessary for comfortable viewing. If they could reduce the glare a little that might help. We've also just become so attached to and dependent upon these devices that it's almost traumatic when they go flat!

I'm not suggesting the competition does any better. In fact I'm quite sure that they don't. iOS does seem to be quite efficient so far as I can tell. It's just that the tiny batteries they put in these phones can only go so far and Apple has seemingly prioritised thinness at the expense of utility. Even a 50 % larger battery wouldn't add that much to the size and weight but would go a long way to increasing the utility of the phone.

----------

"mophielovesyou"

unlessyouhaveaniPodtouch

Haha yep! The packaging and manual are hilarious. At one point it says "it'll even charge your blueberry". I'm very happy with my rugged Morphie power pack (the pro one).

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The iPhone 5 helium and jp air are NOT advertised to sync via wire to a computer. This is known and that's why mophie states on their FAQ's that you can sync wirelessly.

That's ludicrous! All their previous JuicePacks could sync just fine over USB.

What were they thinking? Such an expensive product should not have such a ridiculous limitation. Especially since they licensed the connector officially and thus should be able to fully implement it.

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
Come on mophie gives us the lightning connector, stop messing around with microusb.

+1!!!

Why in earth would Mophie not license the lightning connection? I guess the cables I have (and the one that came with the phone) should be useless upon purchase of the mophie?

Single reason I'll never buy it.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Agreed. I'm at 3 hours use, 19 hours standby, 59% remaining. Far more than good enough to get through a day.

Though I'll admit those numbers change a lot when signal strength is weak.

I took my phone off the charger this morning at 8:45 AM, exactly 3.5 hours ago. I have not used it for navigation, really I have hardly used it for anything yet today except web browser. A few emails. No video, no streaming audio, no games. My battery remaining after 3 1/2 hours is 55%. I do have an exchange server on my phone, which from what I understand Is always a problem.

The point is, it doesn't matter if YOU See no problem with your iPhone's battery life. There are plenty of people out there who do have a problem with the battery life that they get, and for those people, it would be really nice if there was a solution that didn't involve adding two pieces of exterior plastic in order to gain a little bit more battery. Apple could easily solve this if they wanted to. And they could solve it profitably to, because those of us who want this feature are willing to pay for it generously.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I must say I can get through a full two days with the iPhone without charging. I have Location Services and Push services to on.

Mophie Juice Packs get some iffy reviews. Wonder if this one is going to be different?

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I took my phone off the charger this morning at 8:45 AM, exactly 3.5 hours ago. I have not used it for navigation, really I have hardly used it for anything yet today except web browser. A few emails. No video, no streaming audio, no games. My battery remaining after 3 1/2 hours is 55%. I do have an exchange server on my phone, which from what I understand Is always a problem.

FYI, two more hours have now passed from when I posted that last message, and I literally did not use my phone at all in the last two hours. I was on a job. My battery life has now fallen to 40%. 15% in two hours, and from what I understand, caused by the use of an exchange server email. That's not something I can or would want to avoid, but there are Lots of people out there who have exchange accounts. If Apple wants to be taken seriously by business people, it needs to provide them an option to get their iPhone to work throughout a busy day where the phone is actually doing things not only when it's in the users hands, but all the time like business users expected to.

----------

I must say I can get through a full two days with the iPhone without charging. I have Location Services and Push services to on.

Mophie Juice Packs get some iffy reviews. Wonder if this one is going to be different?

Every popular product in the world gets some iffy reviews. This one will be no different. You have to understand how to read your typical Amazon reviews. 90% of the people who are going to write a review are the people who had some problem with the device. People who are totally happy with the device don't tend to seek out the place where they can write a review of that product.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Dude, there is a problem with your phone. Problems happen, it's a part of life.

Take it to the Apple Store and have them exchange it.

FYI, two more hours have now passed from when I posted that last message, and I literally did not use my phone at all in the last two hours. I was on a job. My battery life has now fallen to 40%. 15% in two hours, and from what I understand, caused by the use of an exchange server email. That's not something I can or would want to avoid, but there are Lots of people out there who have exchange accounts. If Apple wants to be taken seriously by business people, it needs to provide them an option to get their iPhone to work throughout a busy day where the phone is actually doing things not only when it's in the users hands, but all the time like business users expected to.

----------

Every popular product in the world gets some iffy reviews. This one will be no different. You have to understand how to read your typical Amazon reviews. 90% of the people who are going to write a review are the people who had some problem with the device. People who are totally happy with the device don't tend to seek out the place where they can write a review of that product.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Dude, there is a problem with your phone. Problems happen, it's a part of life.

Take it to the Apple Store and have them exchange it.

Dude, you're wrong.

I've had each and every iPhone from the first to the current. They all perform essentially the same. I have a couple times had them replaced in hopes of the battery improving, but it never makes any difference. So that's like 7-8 iPhones in 5 years, and they all perform the same as far as battery. Still think there's a problem with my phone?

----------

Check the BLASON. Again, not pimping, but that (lighting connector) is why I picked it up.

FWIW
DLM

Going to buy one of those. I just can't wait any more for Apple to create what I need. It's a shame, the phone could be so much thinner if Apple would do the battery instead of having a third party provide it.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
There are a few settings to help
Optimize battery. Try google searching it. I can't recall them off hand. I have 2 exchange accounts pushing all day.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
There are a few settings to help
Optimize battery. Try google searching it. I can't recall them off hand. I have 2 exchange accounts pushing all day.

Believe it or not, I have tried googling it in the last five years ;-) I run my own computer support business, so I have tried everything possible to take care of this problem. The fact is, the phone uses a certain amount of energy, and the battery is a certain size. Those two things in combination allow for roughly 8 hours on the clock after my phone is taken off the charger With my typical usage patterns.

That usage does not include streaming video, streaming audio, or high screen brightness settings. I remain connected to Wi-Fi whenever possible, but for a good half of most days, I am not connected to Wi-Fi. I do not use Bluetooth and I have my Bluetooth disabled. I have location services on, because, hello, it's a phone. I want to be able to use the location services. If I wanted to disable half of the usefulness of the phone just to be over use it, I would've got an android phone and gotten even less battery life.

I just wish Apple, instead of making the phone 40% thinner with the last generation, would've taken advantage of that additional space and giving me at least the option of buying a larger battery. As it is, it looks like I'm Going to buy a battery case, and walk around with a much bulkier phone then I would have wanted to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.