Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Well they are a battery add on business first. They can certainly see the growth potential to a storage only option but wanted to release a traditional battery product for their customers first.

From that standpoint it makes perfect sense and undoubtedly they will offer one. It is just weird how many "bad at math" comments there are in this thread as people ignore the value of the battery.

If you don't want the battery don't buy it. Offering a case that extends storage on an iPhone is a fairly big thing and will likely change things forever. So be patient and wait.

Never said Mophie had to be the one to make the thing, just saying that I'm surprised it's taken this long to add storage into a case whatsoever.
I have a portable HDD for iPhone that's made by Kingston, which when I got that, wondered why they didn't just create a case form of it.. It's thin enough, seems as though I could just strap it to the back of my iPhone, so it's strange that a storage case never came out until now.

I think the price is fair for what it is, technically, but it's still a lot for what it is as well- but thenagain, I think the starting point of cases is a bit over the top. ~50 for a plastic cover for a phone seems to be a bit much, and then add all these features from there.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I think you're all missing the point...........this is for people who have a 16GB or 32GB device and want to have more storage. This is pretty much the only accessory that I can think of that will give you more storage to your phone after the fact of purchasing the phone; and you also get more battery in the case.

1) If you don't want the extra battery also, then find something else

2) If you want the storage but not the case, then find something else

3) If you don't meet the specifications of #1, or #2 then get over yourself and buy the case anyway if you still want more storage.

This is $20 cheaper (looking at the $180, 32GB case) than buying a 64GB iPhone from Apple instead of a 16GB, and you also get the extra battery capacity, and the case.

rmiller065

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
iCloud

With all of my Music/Movies in the cloud - added storage doesn't make sense! Apple doesn't charge me anything to keep my music/movies stored in their cloud

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Interesting, if Mophie is doing it, then I am sure others will follow. Both me and the wife have the juice packs and have no complaints. Add storage to that, especially if you are on a trip or something. Nice place to put your pictures etc. We tend to take a lot of photo's with our phone when we travel.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
With all of my Music/Movies in the cloud - added storage doesn't make sense! Apple doesn't charge me anything to keep my music/movies stored in their cloud

Apple is not charging you but your Cell service provider is. For MP3s I get the cloud but for video I rather have it on local storage.

sarabaramania

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Its all marketing. Google Drive is FREE

Why pay when you can have google drive for free (15gig). Load movies files music. Who cares is you can access Mopohie without cellular of wifi. When are you ever without one of the two. Plus use quickoffice and you can edit and create excel files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.