Morality of using an X86 based machine without Windows?

Discussion in 'Community' started by nucFlash, Jun 21, 2004.

1. nucFlash macrumors newbie

I would first like to say that I am a Mac person.

That being said, I do not choose not to use Windows simply because I use Macs, more because I do not trust the security and reliability of Windows.

My question is simple.

As a Mac person, would it be immoral to build and use an X86 based machine running some version of Linux?

My reasons behind this move are to further my own knowledge systems and also because I genuinely need an X86 machine for the few things I can't do on my Mac.

Having said I will not use Windows, I still might install WINE to allow the use of a few Windows only applications.

What is the determination of the Forum? :cool:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do what ever you want, there's nothing "immoral" about it, it's just a computer for god sake :rolleyes:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

How dare you not worship the x86 god, Bill Gates, as provide the yearly tithe required of all parishioners to keep the great church MicroSoft solvent.

Not very moral at all for a x86 user to abandon the church...

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If "morality" is your guide, then a linux box is the pinnacle of morality. Apple is just as immoral as Microsoft in its efforts to dominate the music market.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I always love this statement. Just use Windows for pete's sake. That's like saying "I won't use scissors but I might use bolt cutters to cut a few pieces of paper". Nobody is going to "kick you out of the club" or "take away your Kool-Aid".

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

7. nucFlash thread starter macrumors newbie

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you want, you can do alms for the poor in the form of logging into MacRumors.com and helping newbies periodically. This should absolve you of any sin. :p

Seriously, it'd make an interesting poll, as a mac user, do you:
    A) Never use any x86 PCs
    B) Use PCs running some version of Windows
    C) Use PCs running some version of Linux, BSD, or Unix
    D) Do both B and C

I'd bet almost everyone on Macrumors falls into the B or D category. I know I fall into D, and really more B than D....

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i can safely say that i do not use any form of windows or linux, but im lucky i guess....Mac OS X goodness all mine, mine, mine!

10. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

If security is your primary reason for avoiding Windows, then I would suggest that you also avoid Linux unless you have the time and skill to keep current with patches. A variant of BSD Unix could be better for security.

11. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

That depends, who is your God? Steve Jobs?

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The X86 hardware is not tied to Windows... just Windows to the X86 hardware. The OS is "parasite" that hitches on to the hardware. Feel free to use any OS on the X86.

Many of us are dual users... I am tied to XP on a laptop for work, and I hate it. But what can I do?

If it were all about me I would be MS free... but I have to interact with the world.

13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

YOU SINNER!!!

God=Steve Jobs

If you ever go against the word of the almighty Jobs, you will be crushed you infadel!!!

*bows down and starts to pray*

:D :cool:

14. Independence macrumors regular

A few days ago, I just completed the migration of my main machine permanently to Linux. I'll be keeping it like this until the day I get a Mac. :)

However, my main reason for abandoning Windows is simply because I'm tired of using the same OS. I've been using Windows for years, I was ready for a permanent change. My dislike for Microsoft's business practices was a secondary reason.

As for morality, seriously, it's just a computer. Whether it's a Dell Precision, Sun Blade, or Apple G5, it's just a computer.

15. benguru macrumors newbie

I'm Sorry

I'm sorry. I am a sinner. I use a X86 with Windows XP. It is horrible, the interface is inconsistent, the file-system and browser make no sense, and... I can't use Linux or Mac OS X software on it. Please, forgive me father... oh wait, I'm not religious ;). Anyway Windows XP is pretty bad and if you can use Linux instead, or use Mac OS X if you can, it's the best. Linux is cool, incredibly customizable, but try setting up non-standard hardware on it. Also you have to be somewhat good with computers. Note: I used a hard version of Linux, some are harder, some are eaiser.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

what has happened to our world. immoral? Immoral is shooting someone and cheating on your wife, not using a pc.

iJon

17. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

What do you need x86 machine, if not for windows, that you can't do on your mac? If you need linux, there are several variations of it that work on macs. Now I have an x86 that I just installed linux on, so its not like I don't think you should. I did it because I was given an old system so decided it was easier to just use the second box for my linux dabble.

I fall in the D catigory - Windows at work, Mac and Linux at home with Mac OS X as my main system.