Morals are subjective.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rower_CPU, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Morals are subjective. Making value judgments about them is ridiculous, IMHO. Disagree all you want, but don't make statements about absolutes.

That said, I think you did the right thing, g30ffr3y, and here's my subjective opinion.

Anyone who cheats on/with someone else will not be able to be trusted should a "committed" relationship develop. By respecting her and her bf's relationship, you show you are a trustworthy guy.

I'd watch out for her, though. ;)

[edit - See 3rdpath's comments for more detail on my watching out comment.]

2. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Bull****.

3. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Here's how you handle this.

**** morals. Ignore them. Your instincts were right, but not based on guilt or morals or doing what's right. This is about you not being a sucker or doing stupid things you'll regret.

A) If this chick isn't someone you see yourself getting serious with and you'd like to get your rocks off, go ahead and sleep with her and get it out of your system or whatever. If you hate your job anyway, you can always get another one if things get hairy, right? Ce la vie.

B) If you like your job enough, tell her you can't date her because of that. Let her know that if she or you change jobs, then it's a go, but you follow the rule that you don't screw the crew.

C) You like this chick and think you could make beautiful music together. So you give her your number and tell her that you realise her boyfriend is circling the drain. Tell her when he's out of the picture for good to give you a call. Until then, don't screw the crew. You don't want to mess this thing up by letting her trapeze.

Never get involved in relationship trapeze-ing -- wait until you are free falling before looking for the next swing (make sure the same is true for her).

4. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I don't think most guys WANT to know their girls' periods :p

5. macrumors 604

iJon

well although we dont want to know, its good to know, cause then we know when to shut the hell up for about a week.

iJon

6. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Prove it.

7. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I already did. But not the way you'd think. Wait, what were we arguing about again?

8. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Heh. I saw your post, but I want to see if Phil has something more than a one word rebuttal.

9. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

You want me to prove that moral absolutes exist? I thought you'd appreciate me stating my views for the record and not starting a tangental argument. You mods are so unpredictable.

You don't believe that, for instance, it's absolutely wrong to steal potatoes from homeless people? Do you *honestly* think that sort of thing is something up to subjective question?

Some things are wrong without exception. Not every situation has an absolutely correct answer, but absolutes *do* exist.

10. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Since this thread is ultimately about a moral judgment I think it flies...we'll see.

You didn't quote my statement about absolutes, just about morals being subjective and that value judgments are silly.

You made the borderline personal attack about someone's "utter lack of morality". This is an absolute statement based on a subjective assessment of someone's morals from a single statement.

Now who's twisting words?

11. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What if they're fat homeless people and you're starving?

Bada-bing!

12. macrumors G4

My own life experiences tell me otherwise but whatever.

13. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Can't you read, woman? The topic specifically states, "i can only tell you guys." That means dudes only.

But as a fellow PPP'er, I'll let it slide just this once. ;)

14. macrumors G4

15. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

"Disagree all you want, but don't make statements about absolutes."

Rower, that wasn't a fair statement. What if I said, "I think all humans are men. Disagree all you want, but don't make statements about women."

Not a single statement. I've had past experience with iJon.

Your own life experiences have completely invalided the existence of moral absolutes to you?

All I'll ask is which experience invalided the absolute dealing with not murdering people for no reason.

16. macrumors 604

iJon

yep i know, im on a couple of peoples s*** list, but its all good. i have no morals so i dont care ;)

iJon

17. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I seriously doubt that breadth of your interactions with anyone on this forum, no matter how deep they may have been, qualify you to judge another poster's morals or lack thereof. You are saying "you have no morals", which is a completely bogus statement and an insult. Their morals don't match yours in these specific instances. That is all.

18. macrumors G4

I wasn't nececcarally talking about morals but all the **** i've gone through in my life leads me to the conclusion that absolutes do not exist. At least in my case.

Eh, this is another thread altogether, bah.

19. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Uh..."there are no absolutes" is an absolute statement in and of itself, so it's obviously untrue.

It's not an insult. You think it is, but that's your subjective judgment that's completely bogus. Now you're objectively claiming that it was an "insult" ;)

20. macrumors G4

Hmm....

My statement that there are no absolutes cannot be an absolute statement in itself because if there are no absolutes then absolutely stating that they don't exist would sound rather silly and contradictory don't you think? Even my own personal belief about the lack of absolutes isn't absolute, like much other things its fluidic. I never once said that my belief of this is absolute.

Now, my reasoning for this comes from mostly my own exploration of my own identity which I'm not willing to go into right at this moment due to the very personal nature of it but its good enough for me, may not be good enough for you though. Or maybe it will. No absolutes remember?

Anyhoo, I should probably put it into better words, what I'm trying to say is that I don't believe that absolutes can manifest themselves in the world in which we consciously interact, absolutes do exist in my opinion, but they are only ideas which serve as a template for us to relate to various things.

But anyhoo, this is off topic but yeah..

21. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

You missed the little wink at the end. I chose to change the subject and use it to illustrate my point.

I would like to think that Rower believes he has more legitimacy in his actions as a mod than just exercising his power arbitrarily. (No, you can't claim that the owner of MacRumors gave him that authority, because who's to say the concept of ownership is absolute? ;))

22. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

That's my point. Since "there are no absolutes" is in and of itself an absolute statement, it is self-contradictory and thus *cannot* be true.

In terms of evaluating your own identity, may I suggest that you only invalidated a couple *specific* absolutes, and not the existence of absolutes in *general*? You'd have to spend a long time before you invalidated every possible absolute.

23. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I invalidated 2+2=4 yesterday...

but then I found I was wrong :rolleyes:

24. macrumors G4

Which is why I explained what I meant by that in the last little paragraph of the dark red post above...

Lets just say is this part of my own identity and that which relates to it I have spent much of my life exploring and questioning is not absolute then I don't see how anything else can be either since it is the basis of how we define much (not all) of ourselves.

Cheers,

-V

25. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

How about this: the only absolute is that there are no other absolutes.

I win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.