Moratorium on "Wasteland?" type comments

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Orlando Furioso, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

OK, so the title may be harsh. But is it really necessary for people to add these lines to threads?

Example

Isn't there a system already in place (Mods come to mind), that already take care of threads needing to be kicked to the curb? It is not the first time I've seen this, and usually it is in jest (and cute/funny). The usage above follows a negative judgement against the original poster. I think that went a bit overboard.

I feel if a thread needs to go, it will receive the treatment it deserves (with or without the posts). People will report it if the mods do not see it first.

Anyway, maybe I'm just being sensitive. This is more of a vent than a suggestion I suppose. In that case, I will be the first to suggest (for this thread anyway):

Wasteland anyone?

Miguel

2. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

3. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

No, this is a relevant topic that's circled my mind lately. Don't be so brusque, douchebag.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You mean you don't know about the MacRumors Wasteland? :cool:

5. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I hear ya. It is irritating. Just like the constant spelling corrections or the multiple posts in a row telling the OP to search. Or the regular posters yelling "Wasteland anyone" like their a freakin' mod. I try like hell to not let those things bother me, because I know the people who do that are trying to make themselves feel superior, and they really should be pitied. Ok, vent done.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'll admit i've posted 'wasteland' in a thread before. but it was either in jest or because it was deserving of the wasteland.

however, the tone in which it was used in that thread definitely wasn't needed.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I agree ... Its one thing when the message is clearly spam but a whole other thing when the original poster has a simple message

8. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Yup. I as well have done some of these things that irritate, and I see how irritating it is and am trying like hell not to do them. It's cool that you responded to this as you did, instead of saying "yeah well they deserve it".

9. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Yes. It is fit to post a "Wasteland anyone?" comment when someone starts a thread about FREEE IPODS!!!!!!!...but it's rude if a person has a question and you just throw it in their face.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This isn't a thread on feminine hygeine. We should never see the word douchebag used on this site again.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My sarcasm filter's a bit clogged these days, but I think that Jon'sLightBulbs was replying to himself and, so, calling himself that. I think it was a form of humor. Which form? Uncertain.

Except possibly in feminine hygiene threads? ;)

12. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

What happens when a comment made in wasteland is unintelligent or off topic that it doesn't deserve to stay in the wastelanded thread? Does the wasteland have a wasteland?

13. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I think it is just deleted. Same goes for all inapproiate stuff.

14. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

You can't reply to WL'd threads.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Only if it's to say how incredibly harmful they can be. Grr. And no, I've not tried them before.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Leaving the negative replies in a free iPod thread (as long as they adhere to forum rules themselves) give it a slight bit of entertainment value, as it relocates to the Wasteland. A comment now and then in a worthless thread certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Please, everyone, report such threads immediately, whether or not you have something to say, so the moderators can jump right on it.

The trick to making comments about the Wasteland is to correctly predict when a thread is to be Wastelanded. For free iPods it is obvious, but if and when you guess wrong you risk being rude in a thread where others may want to discuss the topic and won't appreciate your comment. So it would be wise not to make Wasteland comments in less obvious cases. And don't worry that you'll miss your chance. There will be plenty more worthless threads to choose from.

By the way, Jon'sLightBulbs, I chuckled at your two posts in a row above. I hope you intended it as the joke I took it to be. Otherwise, I've committed my own faux paus. :eek:

17. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Funny, I pointed that out and my post got deleted but not his douchebag comment. :mad:

18. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Guys, I'd stop calling him a doucebag in this thread... he might SEE it. Remember?

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think we should wasteland this thread *twice*, just to teach Orlando a lesson. :D

20. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Man, I thought I'd come in here to read something about the T.S Eliot piece. ;)