More Americans Are Living in Poverty, Census Bureau Says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 26, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thought about posting that myself...third year-in-a-row that there have been increases in % unemployed and uninsured...quite a Legacy GW has built...

Even if you disagree with my assignment of blame, it is a depressing and sobering statistic of the State of our Union...

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I had planned on posting this but I couldn't get in. Weird.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And released a month early to keep it as far from the election as possible.

Hell of a recovery we've got going on here. Jobless, poverty stricken, and health care costs rising at 3 or 4 times the rate of inflation. But hey, the stock market is up, so someone's making money.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I guess this is evidence of a recovery economy. :rolleyes:

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, just "turning the corner."

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think we are going the wrong way... We need to turn in the other direction.

8. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

I want to know if the raise in the number of people in poverty (percentage wise) is equal to the raise in the deffinition of poverty?

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

The reality is a lot of people in CA live in poverty but aren't recognized. This is because the cost of living is so high and they don't take that into consideration. Poverty is a absolute # related to income.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

http://www.census.gov/hhes/poverty/threshld/thresh03.html

The poverty line has always been pretty low.
    It is an indicator of extremely low income, not merely substandard earnings.

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

45 million officially living in poverty, a bit sad for a president leading a moral crusade across the world on how to do things.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Interesting especially when you consider that that's not far short of the entire population of England.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

or many times the population of a smaller country ;)

well i'm not surprised

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Does anybody have any info about the "who" of the uninsured? That is, we know that major corporations provide health insurance, as do the feds, many cities, and state agencies.

However, I know that some counties in Texas do not. I know that many small businesses cannot afford the premiums. I'd guess that many young entrepreneurial types don't bother, whether or not they can afford the insurance.

As far as the poverty numbers, aren't they swelled by the influx of illegals, the criminal border jumpers from Mexico and other places?

Don't these numbers reflect the problems with the inner-city ghetto people? People who don't learn marketable skills aren't employable and thus have no chance at escaping poverty or having health insurance...

I imagine the changes in style of employment affect the numbers. More part-time, multiple-job people, for one thing. More temps, who often are tied in with worker-supply companies which provide no benefits. (This is speculative; I dunno for certain.)

'Rat

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Boy - Osama attacks, wallstreet crashes 7+ months before the election even, averice & gread ie accounting scandal from the 90's, and NAFTA - this is W's fault?

Wow why don't we blame him for earthquakes too!

Why is no-one blaming the admitted Vietnam war criminal kerry for his vote to go to war?

Did anyone see Ed Koch last night on CNN, he is for Hillary in 2008 but Bush 2004. Called kerry the biggest flipper he had ever seen :p Said he against W's domestic policy, but pro aggresive foriegn policy, he said he didn't think the Dem's and kerry had the guts for it.

Has kerry apologized for his 527 group that compared Bush to hitler? Hadn't heard yet.

Poverty is no laughing matter, I grew up in it. We got our clothes from salvation army, and we lived in my grandparents basement. Had a drunk deadbeat dad.

This is indeed a sad stat, but one that I feel (thursday morning QB as I've been taught) will begin to decline over the next 2 years.

While security, and terrorism suck our economy dry with new infrastructures, there will be problems no matter who is Prez.

Thanks for the soap box, I'll step down now :cool:

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

stubeeef, you're seeing that oh-so-popular Blame Game in action. The point is not to understand why anything occurs. It's to assign blame, particularly if the finger can be pointed at Bush.

'Rat

17. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

It is around $18K/yr right? .... All relative, in many countries this is a sizeable income. But then I cannot vision myself living for $1K/mo either :(

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Here is a good site to begin understanding poverty.

http://www.worldbank.org/poverty/mission/up2.htm

Each country has a different stat or "line". A recent Google has been interesting when looking at other countries like UK, Australia, and france.

BTW, how many here have started and been successful with a new small biz (or large) and have W-2 employees? Mine failed, my own fault, but capital expenditure tax write-offs allowed me to try.

Anyone here making less than $100,000/yr feel they are paying to little in taxes? Do you feel you can decrease poverty faster by paying taxes or give it directly to an organization of your choosing?

You know how charities and tax deductable organizations have to let you know how much of each $1 goes to the admin of the charity. I wonder what the government % would be if they were required to do that?

I am guessing, i know that is dangerous here, but I bet poverty in LA is different than poverty in rural Nebraska. The povery stat my hide many or be very high due to averaging. After all the US is huge, both in area and population.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, stubeef, the costs of living vary dramatically. My area is ultra-low, omitting car payments and health insurance which are pretty-much the same everywhere.

Lots of news articles about comparative costs of housing, across the nation. That seems to be one of the largest variables, along with state taxes.

My wife started a small crafts-oriented manufacturing business 30 years ago. She worked up to around 15 employees, although burnout and changes in user patterns have her down much lower now. But, successful through the years.

'Rat

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

jokingly, so don't troll me folks. Yea Desertrat, it reminds me of the sam kinason comedy routine, telling the hungry living in the desert to go to were the food is.

Not joking now; maybe they ought to go were low income jobs give a better standard of living. Then the local shortage of workers for low income jobs in high cost of living areas would cause the wages to rise and end poverty through better allocation/distribution of assests.

I need to write a paper on this.

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

During one of our porch-gathering sessions, enjoying some suds, somebody got to griping about the low wages extant in our mostly-tourist area. I popped off with what has become one of the definitions of Terlingua: "Living in Terlingua is a statement that money's not important. If it were important, you'd go where the money is."

I travel a lot, and take back roads whenever possible. I've seen a helluva lot of places where the folks who live there would rather stay, poverty or no, than to go "where the money is". But, they're numbers in the "how much poverty?" game.

'Rat

22. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Don't forget rich people who taken a year off for vacation is officially added to the poverty level because they had no income for that year.

Or the fact that our poor tend to be considered rich in other countries. Or the fact that countries with double digit unemployment think we should follow their examples in getting rid of poverty so we could have double digit unemployment too.

23. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Where did that information come from?

None of it changes the fact that 45 million Americans are in poverty by American standards.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

By definition, most of them are working. People without any means get Medicaid. The reasons these numbers are steadily rising is because fewer employers are providing health care benefits of any kind, or at rates their employees can afford. FWIW, these numbers would be significantly higher if it hadn't been for the Heathy Families initiative.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, come on, Leo! You know that's rubbish! If "rich people" take time off, they don't lose their income. That's the whole point of being rich!

Of course it's all relative. It's not impossible to have single-digit unemployment and relative prosperity. Anyway, these people in "poverty" are not all unemployed, are they?