More bad economic news.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Taft, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Nation's Retailers Have Glum Weekend

With more stories like this appearing every day, it is clear to me that the economy is in a dire situation. Further, this overwhelming wave of negative economic news is bound to hurt President Bush's chances at re-election.

If you look at unemployment numbers since Bush took office, the recent trend of poor consumer confidence, the poor showing retailers have had this holiday season, not to mention the administration's stumbles on the tax cuts, it is easy to picture a landslide for the unnamed Democract running against Bush next year. This, combined with the Bush administration's obvious improprieties with big business will make the American people turn out in droves for the Democrats in the next elections.

I mean, with all of the corporate scandals, Cheney's energy task force debacle, the continuing crisis in Iraq and the Mid-East, less environmental protection, etc., etc. it is easy to see why Americans are going to the Democratic party en masse. The only sane thing to do is to accept that the Democrats will win in 2004. So join the bandwagon (before its too late!!!) and vote for them in 2004.

(evil) Taft

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

at the company i work for, we did gangbuster retail biz over the website until about a week ago, then it dropped WAY off.

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

4. g5man macrumors newbie

:D :D

I know you wanted to bait me, and I am thrilled. You can keep this going with negative news and how it will hurt Bush and I will do the opposite.:)

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think you miss the point, g5man. He is not really endorsing the prospect of bad news, but rather is making fun of your approach. It is called satire.

6. g5man macrumors newbie

No you missed the two happy faces on my post and the satire from my end.:)

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You're right! I missed the fact that your two happy faces recognized the absurdity of crowing over every piece of good economic news as if it mandated a landslide for Georgie a year from now.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Big ticket orders plunge

Link

9. g5man macrumors newbie

Re: More bad economic news.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,106895,00.html

Sometime I think You guys live on a different planet.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

From the very_same_article...

Only modestly better, and this is your good news? Do you even read these articles all the way through before you trot them out as evidence that GWB will wipe the floor with his opponent in November? And these things are in the article YOU posted here!
    Even FOX isn't as rosy about the recovery as you are.
    Glad it's not "panic promotion" time anymore.

11. g5man macrumors newbie

Why do you guys enjoy pointing out anything that looks negative?

I point out that Christmas Retail numbers will come out 4% better than last year, and you focus on anything negative. Please look at the beginning of this thread.

I point out that the GDP grows by 8% last quarter and you talk about the fact it is only one quarter.

I show that Unemployment is down to 5.9 from 6.4 and you see nothing to get excited about.

Try to be a little more upbeat about this country and this economy.

I am not saying we have reached the top but we moving in that direction.

I can already see most of your responses in a year. Yeah the economy grew but only the rich people benefited from the growth.

This negativity will not help but sometimes I don't think you care one bit.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's not down.

Jobless count skips millions

When things start going more upbeat, I may be in better spirits.

Negativity? Ironic that you would accuse someone of that.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Become? Where you been at for the last 25 years, man? Don't you remember, "Are you better off now then you were four years ago?"

That's the kind of question that wins elections.

14. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

And here I was, hoping that this thread would start a conversation about questionable methods of argument, the use of selective evidence, etc.

Yet here we are, reading the same old house of card predictions.

You know, I still fail to see the use in debating which candidate has a better chance of winning. It basically amounts to a propaganda contest where everyone thinks that if they make their candidate look better through boast and clever marketing, then they might be able to "sell" their candidate to more people and win the election.

Here's a thought: Let's talk about stuff that actually matters! Like the candidates qualifications. Or where candidates stand on certain issues and how those stands holds up in the context of the candidate's political history. Or the integrety of the candidates.

So stop telling me that Bush or Dean or Kerry will be president and start telling me why they should be or deserve to be president.

Taft

15. g5man macrumors newbie

OK.

Bush is most qualified to win because:

Most people believe he will defend this country.

Most people understand that he is honest.

Most people like who is as a person.

Most people like tax cuts.

and Most people wrongly believe that the markets are going up because of him and wrongly believe that the interest rates are low because of him.

Thats pretty much a simple yet true method to explain why he will win.

Dean or any of the other candidates are not qualified to be president because;

They believe that gov. can take care of everyone.

If you don't have a job they will make sure you get unemployment for ever.

They don't believe this country needs a military which is too big.

They believe we can negotiate with terrorists. 12 years with Saddam and 6 years with bin Ladin.

They want to raise your taxes.

They don't like coorportations and would like to nationalize most industries.

They don't like it if you love marriage between a man and a woman, don't like it if you own a gun, don't like it if you show the US flag at anti-war rallies and so on.

They want to make sure that Social Security is your only retirement.

And there really is no difference between Dean and the rest of them.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bollocks. you're relying on stereotype and avoiding actual issue discussion. the big bad propaganda machine has mushied your brain. MUSHIED!

17. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I wish people were more mature about politics. I wish people wouldn't treat it like a high school popularity contest: My candidate walks on water. He does no wrong. Your candidate eats babies for breakfast and impregnates animals for fun and profit.

Get real. It can't always be rosy when your (wo)man is in charge, and it can't all be armageddon when your (wo)man is not in charge.

The economy sucks, but it's showing tentative healing signs. It won't recover overnight.

18. g5man macrumors newbie

:D :cool: :cool: :D lol

The issues have been discussed.

Tax cuts work. Tax increases do not.

There is no debate on marriage.

And the rest, oh who has the time.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't see this guy's posts unless somebody else quotes them back. I run into enough talk radio poisoning without getting it here. So please, do me a favor... don't quote this person back. It really isn't worth the bandwidth. Thanks.

20. g5man macrumors newbie

Why do you choose to live in denial. The economy is improving, the Democrats are lost, and predicting a landslide is too easy. Just remember that I said it, and you do read it.

I am in a good mood today:D

21. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Man you are annoying. Smug and prone to needling people just for the "halibut." I've never blocked anyone before. Gonna be a first for me.

22. vniow macrumors G4

Pfft, you should've seen him in his other screennames, too bad he edited out pretty much everything he posted, especially predictions about political stuffs which never came true...

23. g5man macrumors newbie

First of all I have never seen you post here, so I don't know what you plan on debating or commenting on. Secondly how do you block someone? You either choose to read or choose not to read.

And lastly I am sorry that I annoy you but welcome.