More buyers advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kuyu, Apr 4, 2004.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

By July, I'll have about $2500 saved up for a computer. I'm not a pro user, but in the prosumer market. My options are:

New Dualie G5
    Older dualie G4 and an extra monitor
    Older single G4 extra RAM and monitor
    Maxed out emac and a big screen HDTV.

I want a G5, but I just can't seem to justify spending over 2G's on a computer. In my situation, what would you buy?

Oh yeah, I've got an emac now, and absolutely love it.

2. wowoah macrumors regular

It really depends on what you want to use it for. If all you do is websurf and read email and word process, then I'd say get an eMac or an iMac.

3. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Personally, if you had to buy right now, I'd say to look at the G5 1.8 refurb. They are out of stock but they were priced at $1700 as I recall. Then you'd be able to afford a nice (non-Apple) flatscreen and maybe some more RAM.

I think getting a G4 is a waste even if it will suit your needs right now. Just MHO.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Save your cash...except for the big screen. But that.

There has not been a major update in Mac for quite awhile. I am not talking a speed bump. Yes, the G5 is that, but it sounds like you are not a power user so it might look cool to have that monster of a machine by your desk, but not do much for you that your emac can't do if you mostly do non-power-user stuff.

The best thing is to ask yourself is "what is it specifically that my current eMac *which you say you love* is not able to do that a new G5 or G4 could?

If you cite a long list, then go for a G5 if that will meet your needs. If not, then wait til there is something that meets real needs!

When I upgraded to a new iMac from a five year old one the two reasons I did was OSx and hard drive space. Speed was an issue as well, but I was using a 233 G3 and went to a 1ghz G4...big difference when surfing, mailing, and texting (WP). However, going from an emac G4 to a G5 pro machine won't significantly help emailing, surfing, or texting at all so why do you need a new machine.

I would personally buy a new tv and/or save the cash for the next Big thing from Apple that will change your world. It can't be far off. There is talk of a new form factor iMac that is supposed to be as drastic of a change as this last one was...which was pretty big so who knows what it could be.

Maybe buy a Tivo, get a dish hookup, get high speed acess or an iPod mini or surround sound system which could serve a need that is not being met right now????

Good luck on your decision and let us know what you want to do with the new computer that you can't do now...

5. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

flyfish, good questions. I need another computer b/c I have a brother (also in school) and we really need a second one. Sometimes both of us have something to do, and the lone emac just won't do.

The only thing I wish the emac had was more HD space, or a superdrive. I don't really play games on here, so a graphics card isn't that important. I'm leaning towards an emac, or the 12" ibook. They're both about the same price. If the ibook gets a superdrive, I'll get one.

Actually, how hard/expensive would it be to add one externally to an iBook?

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

won't happen. so, don't hold your breath waiting...

eMac with SD? ext. DVD burner?