Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad3-150x118.jpg

iPad 3 rumors seem to be ramping up. DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim now tells CNet that Apple has started production of a 2048x1536 resolution iPad 3 display.
"It's happening--QXGA, 2048x1536. Panel production has started [for the next-generation iPad]. There's three suppliers," Richard Shim, an analyst at DisplaySearch, said in an interview today. Shim confirmed other reports that cite three companies, Samsung, Sharp, and LGD.
DisplaySearch is research firm focused specifically on the display supply chain market and related industries. The same claims have been previously made by Digitimes who also cited the same three suppliers.

We've already seen evidence from Apple that they've been working on resolutions of that size in versions of their iOS applications. Most recently, background images of exactly 2048x1536 were found in early builds of iOS 5. In comparison, the current iPad carries a resolution of 1024x768. The iPad 3 is expected to be released sometime in the first half of 2012.

Article Link: More Claims of a 2048x1536 Resolution iPad 3 Display

kfury77

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Osaka, Japan
Can't wait to see this display in person. It's going to look amazing.

I know. I'm really excited to see this. Imagine looking at digital photos on this? Or watching 1080P (or higher!) movies. Imagine the 3D games with a similar screen resolution to the iMac 27". Wow... Bring it on.

thisday

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
If thats the iPad resolution the macbooks what are going to have? 9.7 inch thing will have bigger than 1080p and macbooks will have nothing. Lame

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Maybe it will be used mainly for text apps, with games tending to run pixel-doubled at 1024x768. That could be OK, I guess. Otherwise, I don’t see how the thing could have the graphics power (including RAM) to drive 4x the pixels without slowing down or killing battery life! I’d love to be wrong of course :) When/if a retina iPad display appears, it will be gorgeous.

If thats the iPad resolution the macbooks what are going to have? 9.7 inch thing will have bigger than 1080p and macbooks will have nothing. Lame

Don’t worry—Macs are moving to quad-res displays as well. The evidence is in Lion. But it will be a longer journey: iOS is a newer OS, and in some ways more nimble with less legacy support to worry about. In addition, iOS only needs two sizes of screen; and with quad-res displays being hard to come by currently, it seems too soon to convert all the different Mac displays.

Also, MacBooks won’t be “lame" because the competition’s laptops won’t have retina displays yet either :)

Imagine the 3D games with a similar screen resolution to the iMac 27". Wow... Bring it on.

Yes! But now imagine an iMac’s GPU, with all that heat and power consumption, crammed into an iPad. If it sounds too good to be true, I fear it is (for now).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm really looking forward to this and I'll buy a few if this is true. :D:D

BUT....well...the "redesigned iPhone 5 with a bigger screen and less bezel, also a redesigned home button" rumours were quite "real" until shortly before the announcement of the iPhone 4S. :cool:

I don't want to be disappointed so I will check back next year....:(

arnoldma

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
hmmm, dont know if i can see this happening really, but it would be amazing! might push me over the edge on getting an ipad finally :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Good news, however something worries me.
Three suppliers.

I can see it now, people saying oh did you get the poor LG panel or the better Samsung panel?

Of the black levels are better on one, or their is a yellow colour cast on the other.

There are almost always issues with screens when different companies make them.

Let's hope and pray we don't go through this.

RTee

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Australia
Awesome!

This is great!

It'll be great to see a new iPad feature such an awesome improvement in screen res not to mention whatever else they're cooking up. I like many others are waiting to pounce on this one.

Cheers

lesiu

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
will it have enough GPU power ?

Not sure if there will be A6 (?) available in Q1 2012 that will provide the 4x graphical power (and similar batery time).
Will wait for the first reviews,
if not convinced: hold on to the iPad 3S :)

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Not sure if there will be A6 (?) available in Q1 2012 that will provide the 4x graphical power (and similar batery time).
Will wait for the first reviews,
if not convinced: hold on to the iPad 3S :)

Nope, it will not have enough power. They will release the iPad 3 without any GPU just for showcase. 500 bucks each.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GRJ22; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

A Retina display iPad would be a sight to behold.

Hoping something comes of this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.