Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Whoopteedoo.

Twitter has never provided anything worthwhile. Sure, some info services might use it well, but for most people it's a lot of "HEY! TAKIN' A HUGE DUMP IN BK BATHROOM. JUST DONE WIPIN'!" type stuff.

Egypt disagrees with you.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
What are the demographics of social media users? Are they all young hipsters?

A lot of them are located in Egypt, Iran and Syria.

Not surprised people bagging on Twitter are ignorant on how it was a tool that was key in the social activism there (it's a decentralized communication tool that is hard to control).

Seidoger

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Wow such inexplicable hate.
You know, you can already share a video via YouTube. I don't see how fundamentally more deranging would it be to have the possibility of sharing a picture via Twitter.

You're pretty much all acting the way apple-haters act.
Twitter exists. Live and let live. Besides Apple reaching out like that is great.

ssk2

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Wow such inexplicable hate.
You know, you can already share a video via YouTube. I don't see how fundamentally more deranging would it be to have the possibility of sharing a picture via Twitter.

You're pretty much all acting the way apple-haters act.
Twitter exists. Live and let live. Besides Apple reaching out like that is great.

People would be fine it was just something like picture sharing made easier (like Android's 'share' button). However, the way its described as 'deep integration' is worrying to many - we don't want an operating system that Twitter (of all things) is at the core of.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Shame the 70 or so people in this thread who don't see the point of Twitter will miss out. Fortunately the 150m users of Twitter each month will be happy to see the integration.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Out of curiosity, what kind of job do you have? I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but I think FB/Twitter are important tools to keep in touch and network, for people you might not otherwise talk to regularly or have their phone numbers handy.

For instance, when I shoot events, I find the athletes (if it's a game) or other people on Facebook and drop them a link to my website, say, "Hey, I took some great photos of you, here's the link" and i get a bunch of hits as a result since they tell their friends. That's much harder to do with emails or text messages. Sometimes email is more appropriate if the person is a professional and runs a business and their email is easily available on their website.

A few months ago a professional photographer I had met a couple of years ago hit me up on FB Chat and asked me for help. I found out the info she wanted and then said, "Hey, these are some of the books I made" and she was suddenly all interested in having me do more books. Again, something that came up as a result of FB/Twitter.

I own a fnancial software interface company. More of the reason I don't like to publicize my personal life.

I absolutely agree there are many types of jobs where twitter and Facebook are invaluable tools. Some people just post the most pointless narcissistic stuff on twitter. As if anyone cares that they are out to dinner or they go a new pair of shoes. I still can't figure out how twitter is making money?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
While integrating Twitter and possibly Facebook access sounds like a good idea with iOS 5.0, I want to make sure as any iOS-based device (iPhone, iPod touch and iPad) accesses these services it does it through an SSL 3.0 encrypted connection, something you can do with web-based access to these services on a desktop/laptop computer.

This is why I wonder when will Twitter release a new iOS client that uses SSL 3.0 encryption, which prevents things like the Firesheep add-on to Firefox from stealing your login credentials.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Shame the 70 or so people in this thread who don't see the point of Twitter will miss out. Fortunately the 150m users of Twitter each month will be happy to see the integration.

The problem isn't twitter. Use it, like it all you want, it might be beneficial to you and that's fine. The problem is "deep integration". If this is like Ping, where it is shoved in your face in every facet of iOS (like Ping was shoved everywhere in iTunes) and is close to impossible to remove entirely (like Ping is, while you can disable some features using obscure command line settings, you can't remove it) then it is way too invasive.

We'll see on Monday what they did. But if it's another "shove in your face" move, then even the twitter crowd should recognize that that isn't a good move for Apple or Twitter in general. It will simply create more ill will from those who don't like or generally don't care about the service.

BTW, no one is missing out on Twitter. Just like you're not missing out on Slashdot if you don't read it or are interested in that stuff. Different people have different interest. Some 150m might like Lady Gaga, but I sure as heck don't feel I'm missing out on anything and I sure hate how the stuff is shoved into my face in a bid to publicize it even more.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Between Gruber and Scoble's comments, especially regarding "system-level service," I wonder if this will be implemented like a Growl notification that can be sent to you on all your Apple devices (be it Mac OS or iOS) regardless of where you are in the world. If so, the trick will be keeping it from becoming an annoyance to your Twitter followers. The only way to avoid this completely is if you set up a second Twitter profile simply for personal notifications.

I hope Apple helps Twitter with the load they are about to unleash on them (maybe via their new data center). Otherwise, prepare to see the Fail Whale a lot once Lion is released.

michaelcyee

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2011
The problem isn't twitter. Use it, like it all you want, it might be beneficial to you and that's fine. The problem is "deep integration". If this is like Ping, where it is shoved in your face in every facet of iOS (like Ping was shoved everywhere in iTunes) and is close to impossible to remove entirely (like Ping is, while you can disable some features using obscure command line settings, you can't remove it) then it is way too invasive.

The part I liked the most about Ping was that it was enabled by default in either iOS 4.2 or 4.3 and that every "help with battery problems" guide recommended that you turn it off to improve the battery. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.