Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple opting not to release updated iMac models at its Worldwide Developers Conference last month, there has been considerable debate over the timing of the next update. Several of the hardware pieces such as Ivy Bridge processors are already available to support an update, and with the last update having occurred 427 days ago the time seems ripe for new models.

imacs_2011_lion.jpg

But one wild card has been the issue of Retina displays and whether they will be included in the next round of updates to the iMac. ABC News reported in mid-May that Retina displays would indeed becoming to the next iMac, but more recent claims have suggested that Apple will need to wait until next year to roll out the technology, especially given the horsepower needed to support massive numbers of pixels on the 27-inch iMac.

That latter report from Marco Arment suggested that the interim non-Retina iMac refresh would happen some time in the latter part of this year, perhaps in the September-October timeframe. Alternatively, we've speculated that Apple could release updated iMacs without Retina displays at any time given the availability of components and an apparently-legitimate benchmark, with the launch of OS X Mountain Lion later this month being one opportunity for such a launch. But with essentially no sign of Apple ramping up production on new iMacs, the company's plans remain unclear.

Now, a new report from DigiTimes claims that Apple's supply chain is indeed preparing to provide components for an updated iMac, with an eye toward a launch in October of this year.
Apple's supply chain reportedly will start supplying components for the mass production of Apple's upcoming new iMac all-in-one PC in July with the device's official launch possibly around October, according to sources from upstream supply chain.
Unlike Arment's sources, however, DigiTimes believes that Apple will include Retina displays in the new models.

DigiTimes has come under increasing criticism for a number of claims that have not been borne out, but the publication does occasionally offer correct information and weighing its information with other rumors can still help fill out a picture of Apple's roadmap. In this case, the new report offers a second data point claiming that new iMacs will arrive in the September-October timeframe rather coming sooner as many have hoped.

Article Link: More Claims of October Launch for Updated iMac Models

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I would have hoped that they'd be out the same time as Mountain Lion!

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
thunderbolt, usb 3, hdmi,
very, very thin.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
So according to this article, Retina display iMac 2012 but NO redesign until 2013, So why the long wait? Smells fishy this article does. BOGUS. NOT MACRUMOYRS, DIGITIMES ARE

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I wish I had more disposable income. My G5 is still kicking and I can't convince my wife we need a new computer when my work gives me a Macbook Pro. :mad:

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Oh look, it's another Digi-easy page hits-Times rumour. The disclaimer at the end of each article doesn't quite 'disclaim' the OP, but eh.

A 4K iMac will be a sight to behold though.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

I dont think it is a redesign but more of just a refresh with probably USB 3 and thunderbolt.

It would be awesome if they made it super thin, I just really doubt they ever will though.

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
No retina display please.. No graphic card out there can drive that amount of pixels sub-30fps, yet..

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

There's no need for a very thin desktop. They can make it marginally thinner so it can be powerful. Maybe if there was a retina display, hopefully, just hopefully, they would SLI/crossfire a couple of high-end mobile GPUs or find a way to cool some high-end GPUs in order to accommodate such a high density.

Itpirate

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
NC
If they offer Retina display it will probably be only in one version and it will be astronomical in price.

I don't see the point in a Retina display iMac. The resolution on the current model is darn near perfect. After seeing a retina macbook, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
Realistically i dont see any updates coming any time soon, regarding the design of imac its already the "best desktop design" out there and redesigning this thing ll be a big deal also is axing the slot load super drive aint such a good idea as we have seen regular macbook pro models keeping them.

expect minor cpu updates and much needed (IMO) GPU updates, the baseline imac GPU just sucks big time, hope apple addresses this bec its priced quite high given the competition

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Starting to feel a bit sceptical about this 'retina' stuff.

Having seen a rMBP, yes, the text is sharper but as I generally don't have my face pressed to my laptop screen it's nowhere near as dramatic as with the iPhone 3-4 or even the iPad 2-3.

Web images are effectively 'uprezzed' and are arguably worse on retina. Photographs in iPhoto didn't seem dramatically improved.

So working the GPU really hard for little apparent gain.

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
User replaceable harddrive please...

yeah man, even i want that, just like in regular mb pro models, but apple wont offer it as we have seen in rMB pros, pro people always upgrade their stuff, a mac pro for most pro users doesnt make sense today as imacs are capable enuf, lets see what apple offers.

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
I don't claim to understand Apple's strategy and know that desktops are well below iPhones, iPads and MacBooks in the grand priority scheme.

But waiting 500+ days to update a computer seems like they're leaving revenue on the table. Most of those in the know are waiting, waiting waiting. Seems to me they could do a simple refresh with USB 3 and a few other pieces and satisfy the eager masses. I know for my part I've waited already since January and given that I've waited this long, I'll keep waiting. Really annoyed about it, but those are first world problems.

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
since the iphone 4s launch, i really dont get exited to hear about apple events anymore like i use to prior ipad release.

Apple is not pushing os x market share and the more they say its post pc era the more closed systems they are building that are overpriced eg is mbpro retina.

No body has spare money to waste on overpriced hardware when its allegedly the "post pc era" where tablets can get the job done for most computing tasks.

Apple should develop more open systems and price them aggressively

not to forget the killer specs, did anyone tested the baseline imac gpu?, this thing is pure *****

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to put all their eggs in one basket. They'll likely stretch that out over several updates.

There's no need for a very thin desktop.

Apple is obsessed with making everything and anything thinner.

smalltimewine

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Really? A DigiTimes rumor? Why does anyone continue to quote that worthless site?

Honestly, any report of a Retina iMac until at least next summer should be suspect.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Damn, people still buy desktops these days? I went straight laptops the past 4 years and haven't missed a desktop yet.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
DigiTimes has come under increasing criticism for a number of claims that have not been borne out, but the publication does occasionally offer correct information.

A broken clock is right twi... ah forget it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.