More Claims of Taller, Thinner Next-Generation iPhone with 4-Inch Screen and New Dock Connector

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iLounge reports on information it has received regarding the next-generation iPhone, claiming that Apple will indeed be making the move to a 4-inch display by increasing the height only has had been previously speculated. To accommodate the taller screen, the body of the device will also become slightly taller, but it will also see an approximately 20% reduction in thickness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The report also claims that Apple will be adopting the rumored smaller dock connector for the device, which will be "closer to a pill shape" than the existing connector.

[​IMG]

iLounge has offered some correct information in the past, and was rather accurate in its claims regarding the latest iPad. Not all of the site's claims came to fruition, however, with the new iPad's front-facing camera failing to gain HD resolution and Apple offering no sign of an enhanced smart cover for the device.

Article Link: More Claims of Taller, Thinner Next-Generation iPhone with 4-Inch Screen and New Dock Connector

2. macrumors 6502

utter BS... Not gonna happen...
    - no change of aspect ratio is needed (fragmentation anyone? 16/9 is an Android/WP thing, 3/2 is the Apple "trademark" design)
    - no need for thinner (plus what about battery life, LTE?)

3. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'll probably hang on to my jailbroken iPhone 4 if that's the case.

4. Guest

My God, the new design is ugly. This is a phone's version of "butter face."

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors regular

Taller and Thinner

I am not buying it. I'm just not sold on the concept. I would think that it would be somewhat disproportional of sorts in my hands. It would feel 'awkward' in a way. I think thinner is the right way to go, but keeping the same dimensions otherwise would be better. At the very least, keep the same scaling.

- Jay

9. macrumors 65816

Santabean2000

10. macrumors 68020

Apple engineers, if you read this: don't make the device a freaking 7.3 mm or so thin! Keep it around 9 mm or so and use that additional 2 mm for a bigger battery!

11. macrumors 6502

Corrected this.

12. macrumors 6502

mrboult

I'd bet a lot that the back of the next iPhone will not look like that. Looks rubbish.

13. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

14. macrumors 6502

yeah, remember iPhone 4 and the story about the infamous SEAMS !

15. macrumors 68030

That's what everyone said about the 3G and the 4, until it came out that is. Same thing happens every time.

16. macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Horribly ugly. The Incredible2 has a four inch screen and they accomplished that by making the phone slightly taller and wider than the iPhone. Its size is proportional and it looks a lot better than this ugly mockup.

17. macrumors member

And it will be available on T-Mobile.... RIGHT

18. macrumors member

About time for some actual iPhone rumors. Meh rumors, but rumors nonetheless.

19. macrumors 6502a

allmIne

4 inch screen. Talk about being dragged kicking and screaming :)

20. macrumors regular

21. macrumors 603

Menel

New dock connector is lame.

Keep the same or go microUSB. Seriously... OMG.

22. kjs862, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

macrumors 65816

kjs862

I'm sad to see there hasn't been anymore rumors about the next generation iPhone having built in airbags. I drop my phone way too much, and been wanting to use my phone without a case.

The increase in screen size is nice though. My iPhone is starting to feel dated even thought I have the latest generation tech in it (4S).

23. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

Agreed. I don't understand this obsession with thinner devices. They're harder to hold (and I would guess more fragile). And yes, that proposed design looks absurd. Why bother with a center section of metal surrounded by glass? It makes no sense. It's not more durable, since a dropped phone often lands on its edges.

24. macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

25. macrumors regular

Exactly this.

Apple has 600K+ apps designed for 3:2. They've railed about Android fragmentation. There's no way in hell that they're changing the aspect ratio now. Larger screen? I'll buy that. But they'll be expanding it in both directions. In the mockups there's still the standard bevel on the left and right sides of the screens. You really think they'll expand upwards before using all of that space? My prediction is a 4" screen, same 960x640 resolution, screen goes right up to the side edges, slightly taller and wider device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.