Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
There was a thread running around somewhere about subgenre support in iTunes, at least in the Music Store.

Well, the feedback form for iTunes now has an interesting category:

Request Type:
Augment a Genre

Man, I hope we see subgenres in a coming iTunes.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I noticed subgenres somewhere in the itunes music store..

i think it was either in the audiobooks section or the comedy section (when you hit browse..)

edit: yep, it was in the comedy section..screenshot below :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 194

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
You will find the post on the subgenres in the "Most unknown" in my sig.
I spotted this a while ago, hope that soon we will be able to subgenre our own music.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Knoxxus said:
What do you need them for? Why not just make more genres?
Because having a list of genres half the length of the list of albums wouldn't be very useful.

For example you want a "pop - chart" style genre and have to click through 30-40 other genres to get to it. However if you have say 10 "global" genres you click to "pop" (less than 10 clicks) and then click to "chart" within the "global" genre. Thus, halving your clicks and speeding up your browsing.

Say you're in the mood for Hip-Hop but only, say, east coast Hip-Hop, you would then go:
Hip-Hop>East Coast>All>Shuffle etc.
Much better, and if you can't see why you: i) don't have very much music or (ii) never browse by genre anyway.

From the attachment you can see you get a list of 50 or so artists rather than 200. - A bit easier to find what you want on an iPod

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 115

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
That's right.

I've always desired just 15 or so top level genres -- Rock, Jazz, Blues, etc, but then optionally narrow down the list: Blues-Slide Guitar, Delta, Chicago, Electric, Dead Dog, Acoustic, Original, Traditional. Cuz, really, if I wanna hear some old, sad, depressing blues, I don't necessarily want to have "I got my Mojo Workin" come up -- wrecks the mood.

As you can see at this link, I already have like 70 genres, which makes it rather useless to scroll through when I'm driving around in the car.

http://itunesregistry.com/user/user/mainstreetmark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.