Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

totally_fly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
This is taken from RailHeadDesign.

As Apple gets nearer to the release of its online music service, one key factor in its "rand opening" is the new version of iTunes that will support and control the downloading of music from said service. The good news is that a new build was seeded and it's approaching final candidate status - possibly by mid-month.

Putting this information with information from other web sites, it looks as though Apple's music service really could be made available sometime this month as it was originally planned.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Wow! These rumors are all starting to come together, and I for one am beginning to get excited.

I do hope that iTunes and the music service come out at the end of april.

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
I have to say, this Music Service is one thing I didn't want to know about beforehand - I would've liked to have been shocked on the morning when iTunes 4 was released, like I was shocked during MWSF when Safari was announced :D. Comes with obsessively reading rumour sites I suppose!

That said, I can't wait for this service to be unveiled, if it's reasonably priced, I'll try it out for at least a month :)

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
We've heard everything and more about Apple's Music Service, but about Rendezvous? It will be nearly a worthless update if only the music service is included. Anyone have a list of possible updates?

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
MP4/AAC

Does anyone know if it will finally support encoding MP4/AAC files? I assume that if it does the iPod will also be updated to support MP4/AAC.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Re: The Catch...

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
You must be a .Mac member...:mad:

Thats BS.

It hink it's more like .mac members gets the songs cheaper :)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Let me think about this, does this mean that it has been seeded in a similar manner to Safari? IF it has, doesn't that mean it will be all around the net in 10 minutes. Or is the seeding where they only give it to a select few?:confused:

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I'm guessing Apple will have a massive blockbuster digital music announcement, at which they will announce (1) new iTunes, (2) new music service, and (3) new iPods (given possible EOL of 10GBer and apparent EOL of 5GBer).

Will be a fun day.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Wes
Let me think about this, does this mean that it has been seeded in a similar manner to Safari? IF it has, doesn't that mean it will be all around the net in 10 minutes. Or is the seeding where they only give it to a select few?:confused:

The select 'few' because of the way Safari was leaked. :eek:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

That would be an instant way to kill any viability of the service -- require a $99 start-up fee that only 200k people or so have been willing to pay. I know apple has made an art of limiting the adoption of its hardware, but that would take the cake.

thebt

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2002
Belgium
I think you will need to be a .Mac member...

But maybe the new users who sign up get 99 free song = 99$. Then I would consider .Mac! :D

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN

I don't think Apple would be dumb enough to make the service only for .Mac members. But, I do think that .Mac members will get some kind of discount or special deal (such as 25 free songs per month).

Originally posted by rice_web
what about Rendezvous?

I would think that Rendezvous would be included with the update, especially since Steve said we would see it within the first half of 2003.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i don't really know if integrating a music service is a step in the right direction. of course, i mean this as a look further into the future. because over time, it's forseeable that more and more legality issues will be coming up and be getting checked on mp3s. what will come of this? limited use mp3s? non-burnable/non-changeable media? the erradication of consumer cds? what happens if you pay & download a song and your hard drive fails (SOL)?

i don't know if i like the idea of a music service. i'd rather have to buy cds.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
mnkeybsness, you bring up some good points about failing HDs, etc., but what could more "digital hub"-like than an integrated music download service? I like the idea, but I too am a little skeptical until I see details. I like the iPhoto prints idea too, but I only have ever used my free ones, because I just think it's too expensive otherwise. That's just me, though. I DO hope, however, that we see some new iPods. Heck, I'd just be happy with a drop in price on the existing ones. I need to upgrade from my 5 GB one, but I've been waiting since the beginning of February for the "new" one to come out.

Regards,
Gus

applejilted

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2003
Online music service ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......why am I so underwhelmed and why is everyone so excited at the prospect of paying 99 cents per song !!!! If true it would be an outrageous price given today's REALITY (kazaa) .... wake me up when Apple introduces something TRULY innovative and/or fast (read dual 2.4 ghz PPC 970)...

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
Huh!?!

i don't really know if integrating a music service is a step in the right direction. of course, i mean this as a look further into the future. because over time, it's forseeable that more and more legality issues will be coming up and be getting checked on mp3s. what will come of this? limited use mp3s? non-burnable/non-changeable media? the erradication of consumer cds? what happens if you pay & download a song and your hard drive fails (SOL)?

i don't know if i like the idea of a music service. i'd rather have to buy cds.

Imagine if anyone else did this. Imagine if say MP3.com did this. It would be huge news. Their stock price would fly. This is a big thing. This is another thing that Apple is doing that is a real, tangible benefit. Our lives will become more simple as a result.

You can still buy your CDs though. In response to that guy who was concerned about losing his MP3's if his hardrive crashed, I recommend highly that you back up your CDs to computer (I do). CDs scratch so unbelievably easy (these days especially with the crap the RIAA is using). My music is way safer on my computer. I also back up to a CD ($0.27 for like 8+ albums), to be sure.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Re: Re: The Catch...

Originally posted by Eple
Thats BS.

It hink it's more like .mac members gets the songs cheaper :)

I doubt you'll have to be a .mac member. You don't have to to order things through iPhoto. At least I don't think you do... I have .mac so maybe you do and I'm not aware.

I can however see .mac members getting x number of free songs now and again. Similarly to how .mac members received 50 or so free Kodak prints via iPhoto.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN

no way. that would only limited an already limited market share.

Still cheaper's good, I'm a member so roll on!

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
"why is everyone so excited at the prospect of paying 99 cents per song !!!! If true it would be an outrageous price given today's REALITY (kazaa)"

The reality is that Kazaa is crap and by the public consensus illegal, plus you never know what you get with p2p networks. With this service you get better quality and you know its legit. Also, that fact that it comes from our little computer company makes it even better.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I look for iTunes to go cross platform. That's why it's taken so long.

Just as the iPod has sold well to Windows users iTunes will become their default player as well.

Apple is attacking on multiple fronts, out flanking their foes. This is going to be a coup of epic proportions.

You heard it here first.

MacReason

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2003
iPlay

I also think iTunes 4 will be cross platform. But i also think that what will be cool is that there will be an server database that will keep a record of the songs you've downloaded. If your HD fails its ok because wants you've paid for a song you can download it as many times as you like.

The question then becomes, can i go to a friends house, log in to my own Apple Music Service Account (lets call it AMS—or iPlay—b/c it might be more than just music soon) and download songs to his computer. Then will they stay there when i log out only to be reactivated only when i log myself back in? Yes i think so.

What will happen is that your iPod will become exclusively associated with the your unique AMS (iPlay) library so a single iPod will NOT be able to to d/l songs from different peoples accounts even if they log in.

Oh and songs will be downloaded in a new standard MP4/AAC format with extensive encryption inbedded w/i the file.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by applejilted
Online music service ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......why am I so underwhelmed and why is everyone so excited at the prospect of paying 99 cents per song !!!! If true it would be an outrageous price given today's REALITY

I think that this could be a really good thing. I do hope that there isn't some rediculous form of electronic copy protection, as that would keep me from being at all interested in this. But I do think that $.99 per song is not an outrageous price, IF they are good, high quality downloads. Yes, you'd pay less if you bought a CD from a store, but that presupposes that you want all of the songs on that CD.

Something that I'm really looking forward to is the ability to preview songs from a nice central location (iTunes), rather than needing to go searching all over the 'net to find previews (and more than half the time fail, at that).

But, then, maybe the reality that you're referring to is that people can download music for free over P2P networks. I can think of a number of reasons why Apple's music service will be able to compete with that. For one thing, the downloads will be more reliable (faster, not dependent on whether someone else happens to be logged on, etc.). Second, the music would most likely be of higher quality. And, finally, for those of us that care about such things, it'd be legal. But I guess that's not for everyone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.