More Confirmation of Wal-Mart iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's fake. You can see where it's been Photoshopped. :D:p

3. macrumors 68020

8G and 16G? yeahh...

4. macrumors 65816

bbotte

LOL at $2. I'm not stepping in Walmart and dealing with the crap that goes on at walmart for a $2 discount. Way to flex that muscle Walmart. :) Hell I could find an extra $2 under my couch cushions to pay for it at an apple store or BB or AT&T.

5. macrumors regular

aren't Iphone contracts excluded from any employee discounts?

6. macrumors 68000

zephead

Only $2 off? Geez, if I didn't already have an iPhone, I'd feel a lot better spending the extra $2 and going to an Apple or AT&T store. For $100 off it'd be worth it, but not for $2.

7. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

I agree , whats my incentive for buying it at walmart? and risk their systems messing something up on my account. when i could just walk into AT&T or Apple whose systems have been integrated and doing this for a while now. $2 savings :confused:

this of course would benefit people who dont have AT&T, Apple or BestBuy nearby but happen to have a walmart. doesnt seem like it would be a frequent scenerio though.

8. macrumors 68040

bradl

There are a lot of places where Cingular/ATT coverage is the best service and coverage around, but a Best Buy is a good 100 miles away. Take the Red River region between Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas. I'll use my grandmother's hometown of Hugo, OK as an example. Great coverage there (3G coverage in Paris, TX, 30 miles south), but at least 2 hour's drive from the closest Best Buy. There are at least 3 Wal-Marts in the area (2 in Paris, 1 in Hugo). The ATT store there is a retailer (Parrot). So no iPhones in that area at all, but would have the service nearby for it.

Just putting that out there..

BL.

9. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Are you a New York City dweller? :)

The USA is HUGE. Out in the real world, people often won't have an Apple store or BestBuy near them. And they don't often wander into AT&T stores, if there are any.

However, many people shop at Walmart, and they're everywhere.

10. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sadly, those (5) associates at 488 WalMart stores would have to pass the strenuous task of qualifying for an AT&T plan via credit check, and giving-up their first born. :eek: FAKE IMHO...

11. macrumors regular

Confirmed

I can confirm that it is happening. I have friends that work at AT&T and Wal-Mart and both said it is happening. In fact the Wal-Mart friends are in the training session as I type this.

12. macrumors member

true, in the small town where my mom lives they will finally be able to get it

13. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

"The 8G is $197... The 16G is $297..." What the heck is an 8G & 16G? And don't you hate it when someone ends their sentences with a preposition? "º Interested associates should contact the store manager to submit their name into the raffle. (There will be a box in Personnel marked iPhone to submit your name in.)" :eek:

14. macrumors 68030

bytethese

Haha, I didn't think it was photoshopped, just thought "Gee, no logos, no nothing. Anyone could have typed this thing." :)

Also, I too thought that there was no discounts on AT&T plans for the iPhone, has this now changed?

15. macrumors regular

I got a teacher's discount on my plan (10% off).

16. macrumors regular

as an interesting contrast, I live in downtown Chicago and the nearest Walmart is about an hour drive away in traffic. and you couldn't pay me enough to go out there.

17. macrumors 65816

stagi

even if it was $50 less at walmart I won't even step in the door. Never have liked the store.

18. macrumors 68000

WOOHOO! $2!!! Oh Snap!

19. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Make all the jokes you want but Apple will sell a ton of phones thru WM. You do know that millions of people have little choice in where to shop except WM.

Disclaimer: I've shopped in a WM once in my life. Couldn't get me back in there if you paid me.

20. macrumors member

bwortman

I 100% agree with you....Some people may not like Wal-Mart, but Apple is making a smart financial move by allowing this Giant to sell the iPhone

21. macrumors 68040

bradl

Are you sure your discount wasn't because of a FAN? If it is, a lot of people have FANs on their plans, with various discounts (mine through my work at the Univ. of Nevada: 15% off). Others offer more, others offer less.

BL.

22. macrumors newbie

I got the 3G shortly after it came out. I get a 15% student discount on the plan :cool:

Thats with AT&T by the way

23. macrumors 6502

nickXedge

First gen iPhones, yes. Second gen iPhone 3G, no.

EDIT (to clarify): I work at Best Buy and I had a 20% discount on my AT&T plan before getting the original iPhone. I got it and my discount stopped. When I picked up my new iPhone 3G shortly after launch, my discount magically came back, 20% and all.

24. macrumors 68020

Still I see not many people noticed the 8G and 16G on the memo...

25. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I noticed. I just passed it off as a retail store that isn't Apple being a complete and utter imbecile, as they all are.

Tell you a Best Buy story if you don't believe me.