More cool science: Colored bubbles!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Flowbee, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Attached Files:

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wow... what a link- and a story!

can't wait to get some! guess i'm really not too old to be playing with bubbles... :rolleyes: :D

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Sweet!

Is this applicable to bubble bath? My nephew would get a kick out of it! :)

4. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Actually that's pretty clever. The story was a good one too - the endless hours of failure. Shame he wasn't very scientific about it at first, and only later did he decide to get someone involved with a bit more of a directed approach.

I like to see science success stories! :D

Don't think so - as soon as the dye hits water it loses its colour, apparently. Perhaps the bubbles at the top of the pile might stay coloured. So many prospects out there!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah i read about this a week or so ago, pretty darn cool thats for sure.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I love the future uses listed at the end of the article...the ability to mop and see where you've mopped, kinda like you can play with masks in photoshop and see where the masked portion is in red, seems hella cool.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It sounds like if he had gone to a dye-chemist much earlier he wouldn't have had to spend 11 years trying to make the bubbles...but at least he got there!

Which brings me to another point...why haven't I gotten that issue of PopSci yet....? I'm off to go verify my subscription...:p

8. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

One thing I noticed from the video on the Zubbles website is that the Zubbles seem to be a bit heavier than normal bubbles. In one quick shot (at about 40 seconds in), they show a child blowing a bubble that falls straight down. There are other shots of groups of zubbles all falling downward together. This wouldn't be normal behavior for regular bubbles (especially outdoors).

I'm looking forward to tessting these myself. We use bubbles at work every night, and adding colors would be really magical.

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Should be great for little kids. I find that bubbles entertain little ones very easily and is so simple. All I have to do is sit and either let them blow the bubbles or I do it for them.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Great for kids?! Great for me! That picture of the toy maker/inventor makes it look like so much fun. :eek: I wanna make colorful bubbles!

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I read about his story about a decade ago. Wasn't sure if his time spent inventing it would be fruitful. I may still be right.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]