Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

I know this is a joke, but I kinda like that honestly.....not that I would for a while, but it looks cool.

Anyways, you guys are ridiculous.....Apple CAN'T copy the competition huh? Well I guess let's forget toggles and everything else people have been clamoring for forever......

Why isn't it that you can't simply be excited for the way Apple will implement these new features and such? I guarantee it won't be the same as how Android does things.

And I wasn't aware iveOS 7 had already been released? You'd think that was the case given how many people claim to be "giving it up" or getting so pissy over it.....

Seriously....get a life. It baffles my mind how dramatic some of you can be over an OS that hasn't even been released or demoed yet! :rolleyes:

SpectreOne3

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Doesn't seem like the move towards retina displays and a black and white-centric iOS would makes much sense.

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Years ago a university design team was working on a project and I was disappointed in the lack of color in the interface. The response was "color has meaning". Don't color things just to look pretty, it needs to represent meaning.
Colors are wonderful for quickly distinguishing different things, even if they lack a broader cultural "meaning". That's why it was so frustrating when the iTunes sidebar icons went monochromatic.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
All you people bashing it before you've seen it are pretty sad. Just by that description I can tell it's going to be amazing. It'll likely set the standard for mobile OSes just like the original iOS did. If you guys would actually use it before rushing to form an opinion then maybe you'd see that.

So you call people sad for bashing it before they see it then you say:

"Just by that description I can tell it's going to be amazing"

Soooo. Do as I say not as I do?

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
sounds terrible, Jony Ive is overrated, but I will be buying a new iPhone either way

I agree. The most distinguished and sought after designer in the world is overrated.

So overrated in fact, that when Apple releases new products, entire product lines at competitors design factories change overnight to resemble them. ;p

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
Everyone is mad because they will never have as good taste as wittle Ive. I am excited! Change is good!

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Great idea! Put a hardware guy on software! Horrible, no new innovations. What a joke.

He is even not a hardware guy, he is a design guy. Apple should focus more on technology innovation rather than design innovation IMO.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
You were all complaining about skeuomorphism now shut up. this will be as flat as it is possible to be

+1. This is a HUGE change that I'm more than excited for. We're finally getting what we wanted and people are complaining. And to all those complaining about a lack of innovation, this is a news article, not the actual announcement. There could easily be more in store. And can someone please verify if anyone actually has a patent on panoramic wallpapers because honestly, I wouldn't know.

Sellewiet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
I can already hear the announcement: "We revolutionized the UI interface by getting rid of the colors, that were slowing the system down. This changes everything again .... again. "

Attachments

• tropic_thunder_tugg_speedman_action_hero.jpg
    tropic_thunder_tugg_speedman_action_hero.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 196

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Years ago a university design team was working on a project and I was disappointed in the lack of color in the interface. The response was "color has meaning". Don't color things just to look pretty, it needs to represent meaning.

Exactly.

A way to use colour to add meaning would be, for example, to colour items by status or to add emphasis to particular items. It's also great for categorisation - people can scroll through long lists of red and immediately spot the one blue item.

I don't think that colouring every button in an app really adds to meaning, though - other than to remind you which app you're in.

This news is a little disappointing, but of course we've got to reserve judgement until we see it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just a 3rd party mockup (simplyzety.com) but I like the concept. It's clean. Aesthetic clean up is a good start BUT I hope iOS7 will bring in some improved functionality as well -- better app organization, search, and file storage, and a native mail app that can screen out spam for starters.

same-great-apps-765x512.jpg

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Doesn't seem like the move towards retina displays and a black and white-centric iOS would makes much sense.

With a black and white non skeuomorphic design,the phone could be ultra snappy and have a real nice feel to the UI. It already blows away the competition, I imagine a more simplistic UI would be even better.

OLLYW - that was a relevant comment about Safari and the UI and contributed to the conversation :-/

Last edited:

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
90%+ of MacRumors didn't even know what the word "skeuomorphism" meant until the article was posted on here about Forstall being launched.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I am going to wait and see what the new iOS looks like before making a judgment, but in general the best contrast between letters and a background is achieved by black text on a white background. There are many psychophysical reasons why that arrangement will allow a person to more easily read the information displayed. Color should only be used to distinguish sets of relevant objects and controls. Some of you arty types might want more splashes of color and skeuomorphism, but it makes the job of your visual system harder.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Geez I can't wait!!
You all forget that Apple would be nowhere without Jony Ive. I personally think without Jony, Apple would be nowhere today.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
A separate FaceTime app is fine but I hope they're not talking about removing the button from the phone app. The ability to switch to FaceTime in-call is a really slick feature.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Look at the Gmail app on iPhone to get an idea of what he is talking about. I love it but not on a 4 inch phone.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I like skeuomorphism and animations. I've got no shame in saying it and don't feel compelled to jump on the bandwagon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.