Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004

So the iPad 3 will come out around iOS 5 with Retina display Twitter functionality and normal everything else? How does THAT make any sense?

Where in the original article does it speculate that those will be the only changes? It doesn't.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
If this is true it will be sad if they don't raise the resolutions on their other offerings. I'm looking at you Macbook Pro 13"!

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
No way in hell we see an iPad 3 this year

As pointed out previously twitter would be the only app to have these retina images.

Also it would make sense that because of the deep twitter integration in iOS 5 the guys over at twitter would be clued in on some future specs, and figure that since they know they will be needed in the future, they might as well be included now to prevent more work when the time comes.

Some one please tell me how you can link retina twitter images to an imminent iPad 3 launch with iOS 5?? All suppliers say there is no iPad 3 coming as they would be ramping production next month...plus who really believes we will have a retina iPad 3 in September when we can't even be sure what network (3G,4g) the iPhone 4s will have!! Logic.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
The article says, "a similar pixel-doubling strategy." That should be "pixel-quadrupling."

Technically, yes, however "pixel-doubling" is a phrase used for many years to describe this sort of thing.

--Eric

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
This is good news for ipad users.

Personally I prefer E-ink and I like my Kindle. I can't wait for color E-ink to go mainstream.

The ipad is great but I can't get every toy I like.

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Wouldn't it be better for them to release it in November or December. I just think that may be too close together between releases. At least this would allow them to release iPad 4 in September and not have a lengthy wait.

Hell, January might even be best.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Steve stood right next to this when the iPad 2 was launched. No iPad 3 until 2012.
View attachment 289610

Steve's stood next to (and said) all sorts of things that later proved misleading (to put it mildly). ;)

Especially considering it is still difficult to track down iPads in stores even now. It would almost be silly for Apple to refresh the iPad this year from a business perspective.

Agreed. Why revise a product whose demand is still sky high? Plus, the current product release cycle, across all things Apple, has something upgrading in every quarter. Seems like smart business to me. Thus, I would be incredibly surprised to see another iPad this year. But if they do, I'll finally (and happily) place a toe in the iPad water. :D

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The article says, "a similar pixel-doubling strategy." That should be "pixel-quadrupling."

I think this refers to doubling the number of vertical and horizontal pixels. Technically, you are correct but this is just the term that's most widely accepted.

Yankee617

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2010

I fully agree. The iPad 3 will be awesome, and scarce, but we'll have to wait until next Spring. I'm guessing we'll see a "World" iPad that, in addition to sporting a retina display, also supports LTE and provides high-quality cameras (similar to the cameras on the iPhone)... the top-end model will offer 128 GB storage, but I suspect we'll see no change to the A5 CPU or 512 MB of DRAM.

I'm still getting used to my iPad 2, but I definitely want to buy this fully-loaded iPad 3. After it arrives I'll give my 32 GB, Wi-Fi only iPad 2 to a needy friend.

DaMacMan61

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
iPad HD

Perhaps instead of an iPad 3, Apple will release an iPad HD with IOS 5, keeping both iPads at different price points?

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can people just stop and think of the practicality (or lack thereof) of 1536x2048 display on something like the iPad before even considering the possibility of such thing.

The obvious benefit is crisper display and text, and thus much better content-viewing/reading experience.

The drawbacks are:
Higher manufacturing price (and thus potentially more expensive retail price)
Apps will be much larger in size (and with some games already hitting 1gb in size, we can potentially see 4gb apps on a device which only has between 16gb and 64gb of storage)
The device will have to quadruple the amount of RAM (from 512mb to potentially 2gb) to still be able to run smoothly.
The higher res images will tax iPad's graphics more and, potentially, decrease battery life.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
If iPad 3 (or, the retina iPad, since perhaps the next iPad revision will do nothing more than have a better screen resolution; A6 won't come out until next year at earliest) comes out late summer 2011 with the iPod and iPhones, it would be a swift and decisive strike against the other tablets emerging on the market.

Face it: A5 + "Retina" display + $499 would kill other pads in an instant. Even a finger hold HP would hope to gain would be obliterated.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Can people just stop and think of the practicality (or lack thereof) of 1536x2048 display on something like the iPad before even considering the possibility of such thing.

The obvious benefit is crisper display and text, and thus much better content-viewing/reading experience.

The drawbacks are:
Higher manufacturing price (and thus potentially more expensive retail price)
Apps will be much larger in size (and with some games already hitting 1gb in size, we can potentially see 4gb apps on a device which only has between 16gb and 64gb of storage)
The device will have to quadruple the amount of RAM (from 512mb to potentially 2gb) to still be able to run smoothly.
The higher res images will tax iPad's graphics more and, potentially, decrease battery life.

Yes but if we all thought this way we would still be in the stone age.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That is four times the size not two! Duh!

Four times the size?? The size of each individual pixel will actually have to decrease to 1/4 the size of a current pixel to be able to accomodate 1536x2048 in a 9.7in display

It is 4x the amount of pixels. The size of the display is likely to stay the same at 9.7in.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
What about the camera on the back of the iPad3?

I just got the 2 and love it. But the sub-Meg pixel camera kinda sucks for snapping hi-res pics of students' papers and other documents, as I walk around the classroom. If they up the cam, then I guess I'll be selling my 2 in a few months!

It's Verizon at max config with cell.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Unless Apple somehow includes a hex or octo-core GPU, there's no way an iPad with a 2048*1536 display would have the same or better graphics performance as the iPad 2. iPad 2 has 786,432 pixels, a retina display iPad would have 3,145,728 pixels.

The graphics hardware would need to be 4 times as powerful as it is now for the same performance. Even traditional desktop/laptop GPUs from Nvidia and ATI are a little stretched at that kind of resolution, so I wouldn't think we'll be seeing a retina iPad for a few years yet. Even if Apple did manage to cram another 6 GPU cores into the iPad, it'd play havoc with the battery life.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
The screen needs to be 300 ppi or higher to earn the badge of tEh Retina. Doubling a newer iPad's screen rez -- if it remains the same physical size -- falls short of that of that number.

So we can call it, tEh almost Retina display.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm not so sure this is possible, running applications is not an issue at that resolution, but if there is gaming at that native resolution then it cannot be done..

However I'm beginning to think actual games won't run at 2048x1536, they will probably run at a much lower resolution, but you still get the retina display..

Hey if they can make it possible then great, but I don't know how they plan to do it, especially at that price point..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.