more evidence of 970??!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by technocoy, Apr 7, 2003.

1. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

a friend just pointed this out to me... very interesting!!

read the next to the last paragraph... does this mean anything??? i mean wouldn't this point to 64 bit processors?

(SGI) is using this week's NAB 2003 conference to demonstrate its advanced Storage Area Network (SAN)-based file sharing technology, called Infinite Structure. The technology, born of government and defense work, is aimed at production companies, film studios and other groups that need secure access to massive amounts of data.

Developed around a 64-bit filesystem called CXFS, Infinite Structure is already in use in more than 300 customer sites worldwide and on more than 1,100 clients. The storage technology can scale up to an astounding 18 million terabytes of storage capacity. In practical terms, that's about 9 million uncompressed movies at 2K resolution, or thousands of years of 50Mb broadcast material, according to SGI.

Infinite Structure supports multiple Fibre Channel connections that have proven in practical applications to provide SGI users with up to 12GB per second of aggregate throughput. The system incorporates file-journaling for high reliability and less-than-one-second restarts. SGI's Data Migration Facility (DMF) tool provides a way to move archived content to near-line and online storage, too.

Infinite Structure is currently available to be integrated with various flavors of Windows, Linux and Altix, and SGI said that it will make the technology available to Mac OS X in late 2003.

SGI is demonstrating Infinite Structure for Broadcast and numerous other storage and media server solutions at this week's NAB 2003, which runs from April 7 - 10, 2003 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Look for them in booth SL3868.

2. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I don't see where this is evidence of the 970. Just because it says it's a 64 bit filesystem means nothing about the processor of the computer that accesses it.

3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I've got 64 Mbit SDRAM in my mac. It's a sign!!

The 970 is coming... quick, throw that mac out the window now and shell out for a new 970 powermac, it's pentium cooking time!

;)

4. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Yes, the article doesn't necessarily suggest anything about IBM 970.

But IBM 970 is coming real soon, with Panther walking along side. Barkmonster, I'll have my Pentium steak medium well please.

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

No, you do not need a 64-bit processor or OS to access a SAN with a 64-bit filesystem. The fact that it is currently available for various flavors of Windows should be proof enough.

However, this is a VERY cool product!!! :D

6. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

ummm ok smart-asses,

i was asking you guys about the tech article, not knowing too much about file systems myself...hence the question marks and the QUESTION,"does this mean anything?".:rolleyes:

and i by the way i talked to the guy i know at IBM today and he told me that we should look for something that we would like around a month from now.... he said it was not about the 970... and then said that IBM has put a real hush around the offices and facilities about it...
    hmmm...

im very sorry you only have 64 Mbit of ram in your mac... most have at least 64MB!!!:D

7. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

8. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

-----Sahara II?

ThinkSecret had an article mentioning next G3 is code named Gobe. I don't know if that was just a rumor though.

So what could be coming out of IBM, that is not 970, and hush hush? Could it really be advanced G3? Or maybe G3 with IBM's SIMD/AltiVec? Yes I know people will say G3 with SIMD/AltiVec is G4. But AltiVec was developed by Motorola, so I am saying perhaps IBM is going to implement its own SIMD on their G3? Maybe future desktop processor based on Power5? Or whatelse could it be?

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

im very sorry you only have 64 Mbit of ram in your mac... most have at least 64MB!!!

It's actually 16 x 64Mbit, got two of 'em. 128Mb each. :D