Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ugh, from these screenshots, it looks like Final Cut Pro X is only capable of editing movies about Civil War reenactments. What a ripoff!

No, that's the actual Civil War. FCPX has time travel as a built-in feature.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you don't know what supermeet and nab are is fcpx really a product you fretting about? Not really.

Everyone I have worked with (BBC, Pinewood etc) knows what Final Cut Pro/Studio is and most directors I've met can use it, but none of them knew of NAB or the Supermeet. It's just us tech geeks (or anyone who has a geeks job for a living) that live on the bleeding edge who know these things.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Everyone I have worked with (BBC, Pinewood etc) knows what Final Cut Pro/Studio is and most directors I've met can use it, but none of them knew of NAB or the Supermeet. It's just us tech geeks (or anyone who has a geeks job for a living) that live on the bleeding edge who know these things.
Thats quite the distance from Vegas ;) I met an English bloke at SuperMeet, he was pretty stoked :)

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I wonder to what extent color correction tools will be built into FCP X - and to what extent this will be handled by "Color" when the suite is updated.

Also: you had to buy the suite if you wanted the professional grade application. FCP X seems to change this.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm dying to know if STP is updated or if I should just abandon it and buy something else. Any testers know and willing to leak that info?

It's new software, not an update. Everyone will need the manual.

It will include a PDF manual, just like the last release of Logic. No point in including a heavy stack of dead tree when the whole thing is available in easily searchable electronic form.

BR support isn't built into the editing application, it's usually handled by another program. FCP7 doesn't burn discs, but DVD Studio Pro does.

Of course it's handled by another app, the question is whether the suite will include DVDSP, and if it does will it be an update that has BD support or just the same old version.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I dont know, I used FCP on the Mac Pro's running Tiger, and found it very easy to use. Most of it just made sense. Tried using Adobe Premier CS5 recently. Could not figure it out at all.
Really? I found Premiere Pro to be really intuitive, this coming from a FCP editor, trainer and author. The interface is familiar with similar Project, Source, Record and timeline panels to FCP. Tools work pretty much the same way. Did you know you can even use your FCP shortcuts in Premiere Pro?

You might try downloading the 30-day trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5. Unlike CS5, it is fully functional with all the codecs you'd need.

Link to trial version: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=master_collection

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
great price!!! why adobe prices are to high! :mad: I can pay $299 but $2000 or around dont!
Apples to oranges. It's $1699 brand new for the entire suite, not $2000. The upgrade price is quite reasonable at $399. Plus, you're comparing the price of a single app to an entire suite of apps, much more rich than what comes with earlier versions of Final Cut Studio.

This suite of programs, include Photoshop and After Effects - two programs most every working editor admits they must have.

By all means, check out FCPX when it arrives. If you can't do everything with it as is, you can use Adobe products to supplement the workflow.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Really? I found Premiere Pro to be really intuitive, this coming from a FCP editor, trainer and author. The interface is familiar with similar Project, Source, Record and timeline panels to FCP. Tools work pretty much the same way. Did you know you can even use your FCP shortcuts in Premiere Pro?

You might try downloading the 30-day trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5. Unlike CS5, it is fully functional with all the codecs you'd need.

Link to trial version: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=master_collection
Haha you have Adobe shares ;)
Yea its easy but the cost is a bit much compared to whats around the corner.
We have 6 seats of Master Collection due to other factors, I would have opted to drop PPro for 4 of them to bring it down.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Snow Leopard support?

My one concern is that Final Cut Pro X might require OSX 10.7 Lion. I plan to give Lion a pass. I just haven't seen anything official saying that FCPX will support Snow Leopard.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
My one concern is that Final Cut Pro X might require OSX 10.7 Lion. I plan to give Lion a pass. I just haven't seen anything official saying that FCPX will support Snow Leopard.
mentioned at SuperMeet. this was asked many times across the Interweb :) so yes is the answer.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Haha you have Adobe shares ;)
Yea its easy but the cost is a bit much compared to whats around the corner.
We have 6 seats of Master Collection due to other factors, I would have opted to drop PPro for 4 of them to bring it down.

It's no secret that I work for Adobe now (worked on 2 versions of Final Cut Studio at Apple, for those that don't know me). ;)

Since none of us know what the prices will actually be, what if all the former FCS suite apps are $299 each? If so, you'll be well over the cost of Production Premium. Even if they aren't that much, it won't be that cheap to acquire all the apps.

If the price or suite configuration really bothers you, by all means, leave feedback here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
? Motion design software as opposed to NLE? Im lost with this question/answer...its been a long day :)

Apple Color is not inside FCP, it's a separate application. Color Finesse is also a separate application but runs as a plug-in inside After Effects. Both have very similar functionality. Hope that explains it better for you. :)

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
11thIndian said:
BR support isn't built into the editing application, it's usually handled by another program. FCP7 doesn't burn discs, but DVD Studio Pro does.

milo said:
Of course it's handled by another app, the question is whether the suite will include DVDSP, and if it does will it be an update that has BD support or just the same old version.

Incorrect, FCP 7 does burn BR discs through File > Share. The menus and templates are very rudimentary, but it works. Who knows if there will be a DVDSP with the announce of the new app(s)? Or even if there was, would it support BR?

A far better choice that works right now is Adobe Encore. It works great for BR discs and allows for a lot of customizability for menus, buttons, etc.

KaneBaker

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
Apple Color is not inside FCP, it's a separate application. Color Finesse is also a separate application but runs as a plug-in inside After Effects. Both have very similar functionality. Hope that explains it better for you. :)

Hey Kevin since I am catching you here. I have one pet peeve with the master collection. All major apps except Photoshop let me work with a 'Dark' interface color, I find it less distracting that way.

Other than that I love the suite, Premiere has replaced Final Cut for me, but it is after effects that I live in.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
That I know but I was referring to the original posters reply. The question was very vague but your answer was concise so I was wondering if that was the right/wrong answer :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Incorrect, FCP 7 does burn BR discs through File > Share. The menus and templates are very rudimentary, but it works. Who knows if there will be a DVDSP with the announce of the new app(s)? Or even if there was, would it support BR?

A far better choice that works right now is Adobe Encore. It works great for BR discs and allows for a lot of customizability for menus, buttons, etc.
Totally agree about Encore. It took a few versions but Adobe has it steady for now. I haven't approached anything close to Block Buster style Menus but got some decent result similar to Flash menus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.