Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
But the editing capabilities and power of x has been demonstrated to be much more powerful and advanced over FCP 7, Avid, and Premiere. Just go watch the sneak peek.

Just a little reality check...

Have you worked with Premiere Pro CS5 or CS5.5 lately? Premiere Pro has been 64bit, Grand Central Dispatch, and native tapeless for two versions now. Everyone that's tried it admits that it's the fastest, best performing NLE out there. We'll see if FCPX can match the performance of the fire breathing monster that Premiere Pro has become.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Hey Kevin since I am catching you here. I have one pet peeve with the master collection. All major apps except Photoshop let me work with a 'Dark' interface color, I find it less distracting that way.

Other than that I love the suite, Premiere has replaced Final Cut for me, but it is after effects that I live in.

Hey KaneBaker,
I hear you and it's a good one. Can you make a feature request? We really do read and count each one.

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Totally agree about Encore. It took a few versions but Adobe has it steady for now. I haven't approached anything close to Block Buster style Menus but got some decent result similar to Flash menus.

Thanks mbox! It's always good to hear where we can improve. You can always make a feature request for more and better looking menus. Thanks!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Hey KaneBaker,
I hear you and it's a good one. Can you make a feature request? We really do read and count each one.

I have a request. When can I render to QT 2GB plus files over AFP network using CS5 and up? :)

Just to add, at one point I must have hit the Adobe Crash Report over 50 times in a week last year for a solid few months. Not once did Adobe reply :p

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Thats quite the distance from Vegas ;) I met an English bloke at SuperMeet, he was pretty stoked :)

Sure it is and sure you did, I don't doubt it. Just saying that not everyone that knows Final Cut knows NAB and Supermeet.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Sure it is and sure you did, I don't doubt it. Just saying that not everyone that knows Final Cut knows NAB and Supermeet.
Actually it was a funny thing. He went to NAB for the first time and he brought his mum along. I thought that was neat :) I couldnt get my mom out of the city if I tried :p

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Before FCP X, I would have said that it is DEFINITELY overkill, because it was so difficult to learn, but now not only will you no longer have the option for Final Cut Express, the new FCP X is basically the price that express used to be.

So no, I don't think it's overkill. Your two choices now are iMovie and Final Cut Pro X. Unless you can do all you want to do in iMovie, your next step should be FCP X.
These aren't the only video editing applications that run on a Mac. You can also choose Autodesk Smoke, Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro and some lesser known ones. I recommend checking out Premiere Pro. In fact, you can download a 30-day trial of the entire Adobe Master Collection for CS5.5 here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=master_collection

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Just a little reality check...

Have you worked with Premiere Pro CS5 or CS5.5 lately? Premiere Pro has been 64bit, Grand Central Dispatch, and native tapeless for two versions now. Everyone that's tried it admits that it's the fastest, best performing NLE out there. We'll see if FCPX can match the performance of the fire breathing monster that Premiere Pro has become.

Good thing you're not biased! :)

Well, yes I do have it (I have the entrie Adobe line and am an AE user since 3.x) and have opened my FCP projects in it via XML transfrer. ProRes projects. Also had the latest Matrox driver supporting Premiere. They transferred over fine for the most part. But I found that although the app had nice high end features and as always a great titler it refused to play my 1080i ProRes files without dropping frames and stuttering. The audio was abysmal to work with and missing basic group adjustment features. Honestly, this was in February with CS 5.x and I was ready to jump ship. The idea of roundtripping to AE was nice too. But after a couple of days I found it just to be as clunky as ever. I'm sure Premiere users would say the same thing after a few days on FCP. But the point is the performance wasn't overwhelming. And I found that it was much more mouse based that I thought it would be. It wasn't a slam dunk by any means and it would need to be to jump ship and change an entire workflow and alienate current clients or editors I work with. I'm sure I could learn to be just as proficient. Every NLE has it's oddities and FCP X will have more than most probalby. Other NLEs I've professionally used... videocube, media100, avid mc, and now fcp for last 10 years. In that order. So I'm not just spouting a bunch of crud.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I have a request. When can I render to QT 2GB plus files over AFP network using CS5 and up? :)

Wow, you know us too well. You may know that we're working with Apple on that one. Read more about that including a workaround here.

Just to add, at one point I must have hit the Adobe Crash Report over 50 times in a week last year for a solid few months. Not once did Adobe reply :p
Did you file a case with tech support? That's the best way to talk with us and to help resolve your problem.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Smoke...now thats an easy app to learn :) LOL!

And cheap too. WTH? If Smoke is what ya learned and know, great, but most people aren't going to spend 5x as much (I guess it's 20 times as much now) to learn something new that isn't any sort of a standard. It's a boutique system I figure. And priced to be.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
...media100, avid mc, and now fcp for last 10 years...
I noticed you didnt bother to add Premiere 1 to 7 in that lot ;) I sure miss the good old days of media100...NOT!!
I wish I can add to this one but my extent is more on Avid MC.
If you really want to lose hair, just upgrade you FCP license to MC for $995 :p
Im not sure what hair plugs will cost but after a few clients you can pick and choose colors ;)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
And cheap too. WTH? If Smoke is what ya learned and know, great, but most people aren't going to spend 5x as much (I guess it's 20 times as much now) to learn something new that isn't any sort of a standard. It's a boutique system I figure. And priced to be.
Im glad i had the pleasure of sitting down with a Smoke jockey at NAB for a few hours (yes it was that slow for him).
Sure I dont know how to use it but just watching him go thru the myriad of options to do one simple mask :p Yikes!
Im an long time AE user and find Smoke to be closer to that than NLE.
Sure its called an finishing app but most if its so called strength is compositing and effect.
Again not experienced enough (Smoke) but Ive seen enough to say its not a starters option :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Wow, you know us too well. You may know that we're working with Apple on that one. Read more about that including a workaround here.

Did you file a case with tech support? That's the best way to talk with us and to help resolve your problem.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/
Sorry Kevin there are times when we cant bother with certain support options (even though we have an Enterprise account). The older crashes were due to CS4 baby steps and I think openGL. It was well documented on the web that it was one of the worse upgrades from Adobe. But hey after awhile it became stable :)
Then of course Adobe and Apple had to be stupid about their communication in codec API (dont quote me Im just spewing here).
I know the work around and so does a huge part of the industry. Were not happy (RED users case in point) but its not the end of the world.
Just fix it please!

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Actually it was a funny thing. He went to NAB for the first time and he brought his mum along. I thought that was neat :) I couldnt get my mom out of the city if I tried :p

Haha. Trust the British! I bet he said "we'll have a big American holiday provided I get to do this!"I've never had the pleasure of NAB or Supermeet but hoping to in coming years.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Good thing you're not biased! :)

You've got my number!

Well, yes I do have it (I have the entrie Adobe line and am an AE user since 3.x) and have opened my FCP projects in it via XML transfrer. ProRes projects. Also had the latest Matrox driver supporting Premiere. They transferred over fine for the most part. But I found that although the app had nice high end features and as always a great titler it refused to play my 1080i ProRes files without dropping frames and stuttering.

If you don't have a sturdy system, with GPU and plenty of RAM, you could experience this issue. Recall that Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5 are 64 bit applications and require more system resources. That said, whenever I experience performance issues in Premiere Pro (like on my MacBook Pro), I drop the screen resolution to 1/2. Right-click on the Program window and set it to a lower res.

The audio was abysmal to work with and missing basic group adjustment features. Honestly, this was in February with CS 5.x and I was ready to jump ship.

Group adjustment? You can do a submix with several tracks and adjust them at the same time. More info on that here. Might that work for you?

The idea of roundtripping to AE was nice too. But after a couple of days I found it just to be as clunky as ever. I'm sure Premiere users would say the same thing after a few days on FCP. But the point is the performance wasn't overwhelming.

Not sure what you mean by clunky. Dynamic Link just "works" but there are some issues you may be experiencing as you would with a Motion project living in a FCP timeline. Stuttery? Render it. Need to media manage it? Substitute a rendered file for the AE comp in the timeline. Keep in mind that you can always bring a question to the Premiere Pro forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

And I found that it was much more mouse based that I thought it would be.

If you are talking about trimming with the keyboard, I agree with you. Make a feature request for that here. Most all else has mappable keyboard shortcuts that will allow you to use a more keyboard oriented approach.

It wasn't a slam dunk by any means and it would need to be to jump ship and change an entire workflow and alienate current clients or editors I work with. I'm sure I could learn to be just as proficient. Every NLE has it's oddities and FCP X will have more than most probalby. Other NLEs I've professionally used... videocube, media100, avid mc, and now fcp for last 10 years. In that order. So I'm not just spouting a bunch of crud.

I hear you and thanks for the valuable feedback!

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Sorry Kevin there are times when we cant bother with certain support options (even though we have an Enterprise account). The older crashes were due to CS4 baby steps and I think openGL. It was well documented on the web that it was one of the worse upgrades from Adobe. But hey after awhile it became stable :)

I hear you.

Support is best when you've got a case number from customer support. After that, post the issue to the appropriate Adobe forum. Myself and my tech support counterpart troll those forums regularly and work hard on resolving any cases we can. In some cases, we can escalate the issue or ask engineering if there is a known fix.

Then of course Adobe and Apple had to be stupid about their communication in codec API (dont quote me Im just spewing here).
I know the work around and so does a huge part of the industry. Were not happy (RED users case in point) but its not the end of the world.
Just fix it please!

We are working hard to resolve this issue. Believe me, we know that our customers want a fix ASAP.

Thanks for your comments!

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
There may be some sort of Blu-ray support...

321102693.png

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
I'll be upgrading to a new "27 iMac I7 just for FCPX. My almost 4 year old Mac cannot handle HD content that well anymore. And, pre-render and post rendering times in iMovie 11 are horrendous. I cannot wait for this and Lion to drop. Exciting times!

nomore

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2005
I just want to know it FCPX or Adobe Premier will support import and export of 1080/60p. So hard to find information since it's not part of AVCHD (yet).

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
You've got my number!

If you don't have a sturdy system, with GPU and plenty of RAM, you could experience this issue. Recall that Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5 are 64 bit applications and require more system resources. That said, whenever I experience performance issues in Premiere Pro (like on my MacBook Pro), I drop the screen resolution to 1/2. Right-click on the Program window and set it to a lower res.

Group adjustment? You can do a submix with several tracks and adjust them at the same time. More info on that here. Might that work for you?

Not sure what you mean by clunky. Dynamic Link just "works" but there are some issues you may be experiencing as you would with a Motion project living in a FCP timeline. Stuttery? Render it. Need to media manage it? Substitute a rendered file for the AE comp in the timeline. Keep in mind that you can always bring a question to the Premiere Pro forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

If you are talking about trimming with the keyboard, I agree with you. Make a feature request for that here. Most all else has mappable keyboard shortcuts that will allow you to use a more keyboard oriented approach.

I hear you and thanks for the valuable feedback!

As for performance:
I'm running it on the same system as FCP 7, where I can easily playback multiple tracks of pro res 1080i in realtime via my matrox. So, if that's what 64bit and the mercury engine brings (stuttering pro res), then gosh yippie. I have 7 gigs of RAM. 2007 Mac Pro with esata gtech raid.

As for audio adjustments:
I want to be able to highlight multiple clips and adjust them up or down by a certain DB. FCP is fantastic at this. Very quick to make audio level changes and adjustments. I can draw a marquee around a range of clips. Then press cmd+opt+l and then type a number. Done.

As for clunky and dynamic link:
I was actually referring to the general interface as clunky. Even just visually it's nowhere near as appealing as FCP's look which is over 10 years old. I'm kinda surprised at the dark look that is overtaking systems (like the new FCP X, Avid, Premiere, AE, etc.) when it is generally more eye strain than the nice greys and pastels. Videocube had these same colors years ago and like FCP, was easy to look at all day.

The stuttering I referred to wasn't an AE project like Motion. Just ProRes files. Nothing to render.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.