More $$$ for Iraq this year?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Apr 21, 2004.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

Will Bush act to support the troops, or will he leave them short on money and equipment because of his political needs?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i wonder how much these figures would change if more US troops are needed

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well according to 'Rat, all you do is snap your fingers and it happens. I wonder if Rummy's getting ready to snap his?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I wish somebody would snap Rumsfeld's fingers for him...

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

No no. You've all misunderstood. Iraqi oil production will pay for the occupation.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I've heard that. Doesn't square with the facts though.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

iow, the US expenditures are all loans?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, that was the rebuilding, not the occupation. Nobody ever said oil revenue would pay for that. Not to worry, it's not going to cost over $50 billion anyway.

To this administration, nothing is above politics. They just need to keep reminding us how John Kerry is weak on defense, and everything will turn out great.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

May I remind you that with the current US budget deficit, ALL US expenditures ARE loans....

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

<sounds of applause>

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Well ... there is that... ;)

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

so, is the republican goal here to cause a train wreck? four hundred billion this year, plus another fifty supplemental, just for defense? regardless of circumstances, the US can't keep up this level of spending on the military and still retain a viable economy. i think the current administration needs to be reminded of all the crowing they did when the soviet union spent itself out of existence. history repeating and all, but this isn't even history, it's just barely retro...

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i believe the secret WH plan is to devalue the dollar so much ($1.50/euro) that there'll be a scramble to buy the US debt.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

on abcnews right now -- it's costing the US $4.7 billion / month for the military to be in iraq.

estimates for keeping in iraq, for 3 months, some 20,000 troops who were supposed to go home, is $700 million extra.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The last month must have been double that, then. Lost equipment, widows' pensions, etc.

16. numediaman macrumors 6502a

If the British government is going to continue to support the war, it seems that they should pay their fair share, don't you think? And being that we want the British to feel like equal partners (we wouldn't want to insult them, would we?) they should be pay an equal amount, right?

What say you skunk and amnesiac1984? :D

17. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

You know, the big 'joke' about Gulf War I is that we almost made money off that war. Shrub's daddy knew enough to work the international community to pay for that military action rather than putting the US in the postion of having to foot the entire cost. Shrub didn't take that lesson to heart, and believed all the BS being fed to him from 'welcomed with open arms' to 'Iraqi oil will pay for everything'. In the process he alienated most of those who might have been willing to help out. Our 'coalition of the willing' is dwindling fast, and we (the American taxpayer) are footing the bill AND providing the bodies as a result of his miscalculation.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

or, why not, FROM him...

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well that's what I meant! :rolleyes:

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm sure we're paying for our own upkeep. Let's keep it that way. After all, it's George's friends, not Tony's, who are getting all the perks.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Has Tony any friends left?

22. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I, of course am no fan of the 'War' or of our ballooning budget deficits...but considering Bush got us into this mess, the least he could do is properly fund the troops, even if it costs him politically...(as long as I'm dreaming I'd like a pony...). I find this disgusting beyond words...

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think bush made two grave errors in assuming:
    1. war will go according to plan
    2. war can be done on the cheap

some commander in chief, huh?

24. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Its a fair point but there's no way we could afford, we are not nearly as big as the US. Anyway, as skunk said, bush's buddies are gettin gall the money anyway. Maybe Tony's plan is to start a Grand Prix in Iraq and so help out Bernie Ecclestone (is that the right guy?) :p

25. numediaman macrumors 6502a

You've got me thinking: maybe we can pay for this thing through corporate sponsorships. We'll let Disney open a Fallujah Disney World; we can have Rev. Schuller build a new Crystal Cathedral in Najaf; how about a Six Flags Great Iraq in Basra; the possibilities are endless. Give the Iraqis what they really want, Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake.