More frustrating Mail problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fredstar, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Just as it appears that my old problem of not being able to connect to our wireless router via Airport has gone an old problem persists with Mail.
    Basically i receive Mail perfectly fine and so does mum on her account, but neither of us can send mail - we both have .mac email addresses and accounts. Well it is a bit more complicated, sometimes i can (changing nothing) but most of the time i can't. The firewall on the router is switched off as is any port blocker of any kind and i get various responses:
    1)The Mail just sits in the out Box
    2)It tries to get me to use a different server other than smtp.mac.com
    3)I get the message pictured below
    When i do the ping thing in Network utility smtp.mac.com losses all the packages

Attached Files:

2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

sounds like a port blocking thing - thou you did say they where all off, i do know some ISP's block people using external STMP servers, other than that i cant really help you.

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I agree. Even if you turn all your firewalls off, some ISPs block ports themselves. Try this page to see if any of your ports are being blocked.
    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Use the "all service ports" option.

4. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Oh i think i have cracked it, right cheers guys, Wanadoo was blocking every outgoing server apart from their own so i am all sorted now...unless it starts playing up again :rolleyes:

5. Gee macrumors 65816

Yeh, in the same situation - I use the wanadoo smtp server when I'm at home, and switch to the .mac server when I'm out and wireless....