More Gateway Layoffs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DakotaGuy, Oct 1, 2003.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail9.cfm?Id=22,27206

This makes you wonder how much life Gateway has left? This has hurt the economy where I live in Southeastern South Dakota, but good news for Apple. Who is taking bets on how long Gateway will last now?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I really wouldn't say good news for apple, makes no difference to them. Good news for HP and Dell is more like it.

iJon

3. big macrumors 65816

big

I remember living in Mobile, there seemed to be a shortage of computers & stores then... several years after I moved, they built a store on the main drag, it promptly closed, I should look up to see if Apple has a store there.

I also have an office in Jackson Al, I am working on getting one of the local computer shops to carry Apple products, they seem a little hesitant. Its a very rural area, and anything out of the norm is beyond comprehension there.

maybe I'll open a store as a reseller...that'd be cool. think Apple will go for it and support me with lots of equipmant to show off?

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I agree with iJohn that this will probably help HP and Dell more than anything else. While they are a competitor with Apple, it sucks to see more people losing jobs, especially in the Dakotas where jobs aren't that plentiful.

5. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

Interesting.. I remember the CEO, can't remember his name, but he gets business advice from talking cows :D - dumping all of his stock in Gateway a little while back for a HUGE payoff, and when it finally hit rock bottom, bought it all back for pennies a share or something.. Just seems really sketchy to me. Dell is pretty much synonymous with bargain basement junk PC's, and, unfortunately for Gateway, that's the same market they're trying to target. Oh well, good riddance to them...

6. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I agree with you guys after thinking about it for a little while, probably makes no difference to Apple. I just remember not that long ago Gateway was trying to market itself against Apple in commercials. Now there is a bad side, there are not a lot of good jobs in South Dakota and the job market is tough here, so it is sad to see more jobs lost.

7. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

They recently closed the Gateway Country store in my city (Olympia, WA). Frankly, as a longtime computer enthusiast I have owned many a PC, but never one from Gateway. Basically, they suck.

fraeone

8. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Now would be the time for Apple to buy the Amiga intellectual property held by Gateway. Cheap.:cool: