More homophobic cab drivers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 31, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- this just happened to scem0 and I recently- except this guy was nicer than I was. Looks like it's starting to happen everywhere. How sad.

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid38234.asp

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yup, it happened to us and that cabbie didn't get a cent of tip. In fact he lost money because he couldn't make exact change for the fare, so he gave us a dollar because he didn't have a dime. I'd say that it serves him right, but it doesn't.

e

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think the cab driver has the right to ask whatever he wants that he doesn't want in the cab. It's not public transport. If he asks, you stop. He says stop smoking because that offends him, you stop. He says stop kissing because gay behaviour offends him, you stop.

Hysterical reaction if you ask me. The man (not the cabbie) is an idiot.

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I agree to the extent that the cab driver has the right to react on indecent behaviour in his cab, but the norms for indecency should be the same regardless of whether it's a man and a woman, two men or two women.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Is there a law against two guys kissing? I don't seem to recall one. And you must think I'm an a****** too then. The cabbie's reaction was hysterical, not the passenger's. The cabbie doesn't own the cab. And a kiss is hardly indecent.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Over here, many cabbies do own their cabs so what they say does kinda go.

I have no problems with chaste kisses on the cheek as mentioned above.

But I always have a burning desire to shout 'Get an F'in room' when I see couples (of mixed/same sex) having a full make-out session on a crowded train/tube/bus/public place. Quiet corner of a park - fine. In a crowded bar - fine. Slurping while chewing face on the tube in the morning - nope

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

in chicago (and many other cities), it's illegal for anyone to smoke in a cab. in at least chicago and new york, as a passenger i have the right to dictate route, temperature, window positions and radio selection. the drivers aren't in a position to dictate much, unless their safety is threatened.

lee -- best thing to do in such cases, imo, is get the cabbie's name and badge number and report him to the city.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I was too angry at the time and forgot. But I did bitch the guy out and probably was a lot nastier than I should have been. But God did it feel good to get that out. :)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*hugs* I'm sorry you two personally experienced this also.

P.S. I think the best solution for this is more public tongue kissing of all sex-on-sex and gender-on-gender varieties, but that's just one option I'm throwing out there. :D

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

In our case, the guy actually stopped the cab and raised his voice at us. It was unbelievable and little scary. I mean, WTF? Was that really necessary? I don't think so. The guy totally meant to embarass us.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

So you think private entities (be them businesses, cabs, private properties) shouldn't be regulated at all as long as they stay within the boundaries of the law? The owner can make all the rules as long as they are lawful?

e

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

My friends and I got kicked out of a gay nightclub once because I was tired and was leaning on a female friend of mine.

The staff mistook me for a str8 man showing affection towards a str8 girl, so I got a nice berating about how this was a gay club and str8 PDA wasn't tolerated at all and that I should remove myself and my friends before they had to call security over.

Oye.

Some people just flip out over PDA. I don't think anything's going to change that.

13. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That sucks just as much as the cab stories.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What happened to you was just as wrong.

15. Queso macrumors G4

We had a similar thing with a West African cab driver here in London. West Africans are one of the most homophobic communities in the city, if not the most, probably down to the crap the Pentecostal Church feeds them. Although we weren't actually in the cab, the driver refused to take Ian and I when we were first in the queue at a cab office, just because we were dressed in a "gay way". The guy behind the desk was extremely apologetic and obviously not happy at all with the driver in question. He told us the driver had done this before and had been warned about it by the owner. I hope he got sacked.

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Now wonder he was pissed :D

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. He got pissed at us and stopped the cab when we kissed. I didn't get angry with him until after.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the key phrase, i do believe, was "get that out."

19. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think you misunderstood ;) ;)

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, you're just silly. ;)

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think MacboobsPro was going for humor via double entendre

22. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

What neighborhood do you live in Lee?

I've seen this sort of thing first hand. Back in '04 after an Erasure concert, a bunch of gay friends brought me along to Berlin, and the cabbie was pretty mean and pissy the whole way there.

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sorry for the thread jack...'04? The Other Tour was in 2003 and The Erasure Show was in 2005.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I live in Andersonville. And that's close to where it happened. Can you believe that?

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He has the right to, but it's still despicable. And stupid, especially if he lives in an area with a lot of gays. Just going to cost him business/tips. This is as bad as that contractor who refused to work with gays.

Probably not smart to agitate the driver though, even if he is being a jerk.