More "how would it run" questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by Scartissue, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Scartissue macrumors member

Hi all. Dave here. Long time lurker, first time poster. I was wondering, i've bought an ibook recently, and was wondering (although I could live without it) how it would handle games. I got the 12" model, so its specced at 1.2ghz G4, 1.25GB of RAm, and a 32MB 9200. The games I was looking to play were Warcraft 3, Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 and Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights is one I really need, as I intend to use the ibook to help me with my mod work. Also, does anyone know of somewhere in the UK where I could get a mac copy of Baldur's Gate 1? I've tried froogling it but didnt get anything concrete

Thanks a bunch, and hope to post a lot :)

Dave

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Warcraft 3 and Neverwinter Nights should run well but I think you might have problems running the two Baldur Gate's under OSX 10.3 (do a forum search for Baldur Gate).

The Neverwinter Nights tool set will only run on PCs (will not run under Virtual PC) so I'm not sure what Mod work you were planning on doing.

3. Scartissue thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. When you talk about BG 1 and 2 problems, are you saying problems with OSX, or hardware (i.e, too powerful for what it is?). Apple are selling number 2 in the store, so presumably there arn't any problems. Regarding the toolset issue, thanks for telling me, but I've already found a mac solution. Heh, this is a common problem on the bioware boards :)

Thanks

Dave

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I have a PowerBook 12", 1 GHz G4, GeForce FX 5200Go GPU. Neverwinter Nights runs pretty well (~25 fps) at medium settings, but not much better at even lower settings. Baldur's Gate 2 runs great on my machine under Panther, although mouse clicks lag--they lag regardless of the operating system, though. Just make sure not to move the mouse until you're SURE your click has registered. Baldur's Gate 1 doesn't have a Mac OS X patch out there, so it only runs on OS 9. Since the iBook G4 doesn't boot into OS 9, I wouldn't even bother--games are notorious for running unaccepably slowly in Classic mode.

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

NWN is a lot more CPU bound than anything else.

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I have the same model as you. The key to good performance is making sure the processor performance is set to "highest".

I play C&C generals, RR Tycoon 3, and some COD (about 20 FPS).