More Ibook g3 newb questions!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by waloshin, Feb 26, 2009.

Which os would run the best?

1. Ubuntu 6.04/ 8.10

1 vote(s)
  2. Yellow Dog Linux

1 vote(s)
  3. Mac os x Panther

2 vote(s)
  4. Mac os x Tiger

5 vote(s)
  1. macrumors 68030

Oct 9, 2008
    In my world.
    I have a ibook g3 500mhz dual usb with a cdrom drive. The sticker underneath the keyboard says ibook g3 500mhz, 128mb, cdrom. Does that mean the ibook has 128mb of ram soldered on the motherboard from factory?

How well would this ibook with 640mb's of ram do with Ubuntu?

And what is that button on the top between the f5 and f6 keys? It appears to have a hole in it? And why does the caps lock look to have a hole in it to? You may ask why i am asking these questions is because i just received this laptop in the mail and am waiting for a power supply to boot the thing up!

2. macrumors 6502

Dec 23, 2008
    I honestly wouldn't advise running ubuntu on that even with 640 RAM. It would work but you wouldn't be able to do a whole lot. I think 10.3 (panther) is your best bet with that old a processor and motherboard.

Also, the whole in the caps lock key is for a light so you know its on when you press it. Try it when you get your power supply.
  3. macrumors 68040

Sep 28, 2008

The light at the top of the keyboard is to tell you when "Num Lock" is turned on, turning the letters with numeric sub-labels into the number keys.
  4. macrumors 601

Sep 16, 2007
    Northeastern Ohio
    That machine will run Tiger pretty decently once you add the 512mb of PC100/133 sodimm. Panther will probably be better though.

There are a few things in Tiger that you can disable to speed it up like Dashboard and Spotlight. Don't expect too much besides email and browsing non-flash sites. 8mb of VRAM isn't going to be much anyways. You'll might want to consider upgrading the old and probably dying 4,200rpm drive with a larger capacity 5400 or 7200 RPM drive. That comes with what a 10gb stock?
  5. macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2009
    ibook 600 hard drive issue

Just got a ibook 600 20gb hard drive, when restoring tiger it reports only 14.1 gb, what happened to the other 5.9 gb??? Can I get it back
  6. macrumors 601

Sep 16, 2007
    Northeastern Ohio

This has been discussed a million times...