More info on G4/G5...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by crassusad44, Jan 18, 2002.

1. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

From www.MacOSRumors.com:

With the new G4-based iMac on the verge of shipping, speculation is running rampant that new PowerMacs may be on the way in short order. From among the more intriguing of the past week's submissions, we present a few of the more interesting tidbits:

* Late-January PowerMac announcement: Although the grapevine is choked with rumors aplenty of new powermacs before the end of the month -- and we wouldn't be entirely shocked if this were the case -- we're not betting on it at this point. Until we see evidence to the contrary, Apple's strategy of more frequent high-profile announcements and events still doesn't dictate a completely new product barely more than two weeks after Macworld. If there is indeed a near-term PowerMac update (and we believe there will be, albeit not quite that soon), we currently project something in mid-February or early March based on the grapevine consensus at this time.
    * G5 or G4 processors: This one is hands-down the key point of contention at present. Although there are many signs that 1-1.6GHz PowerPC 8500 chips are nearing volumes sufficient for Apple to base a product upon, that may not be enough for something that will ship within the next three months. The sooner the new PowerMacs are announced, the more likely it will be that the processors in them will instead be 933MHz-1.33GHz G4 Apollo chips. Also, if the processors are G4s, it is more likely that most if not all configurations will come standard with dual processors now that Mac OS X is the default operating system on new Macs.
    * GeForce 3 Ultra graphics cards. Yes, Virginia, you heard right. GeForce 3 graphics cards will now be standard on all PowerMac models, with high-end models coming standard with the improved Ultra version that sports faster memory and a higher CPU clock speed. This is confirmed to be Apple's plan as of late December. Also, ATi RADEON 7500 and 8500 graphics cards are expected to be available as build-to-order options since they are faster than the GF3 in many functions at this time.
    * New enclosure: At this time, we are not expecting a new enclosure with this revision. If we see a PowerMac G5 at this point a revamped case would not come as a total shock, but given the leaning towards faster G4s and a G5 update later in the year, we would expect the former to continue to use the Quicksilver enclosure and the latter to be the first to sport the all-new minitower form factor Apple has been working on for close to two years now. More on this soon...
    * New features: Beyond CPU and graphics card changes, we expect the new PowerMac to be the first to support DDR SDRAM memory, as well as Gigawire (800-1600Mbps Firewire), redesigned Airport antennas with improved resistance to interference as well as support for the next-generation 54Mbps version of Airport due out later this year. Also in the works, according to Apple sources, are the availability of SuperDrives on all models (standard on all but the entry-level model), an onboard ATA-133 controller doubling the theoretical bandwidth available to internal UltraDMA ATA/IDE hard disks, as well as standard 60GB 7200RPM hard drives on entry-level model will range up to 100GB 10,000RPM drives on the high-end version. Optional multi-drive configurations will be available to take advantage of Mac OS X 10.1.x's built-in RAID array support.
    Much remains unknown about the new PowerMacs, and for our money, we don't expect an update sooner than six weeks hence. 1GHz+ G4s are slightly more likely than an immediate jump to G5s, the Quicksilver enclosure will most likely remain, and several of the long-awaited feature updates like DDR SDRAM will finally make it into the Pro lineup if all goes according to plan.

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Please dont bring in stuff from other rumor sites....

That said, MacosRumors' view on what's coming up is not so bad, and is pretty sensible........

Who knows?

irmongoose

3. rEd Eye macrumors regular

does anyone have a clue?

If you ask me,based upon everyone's 2 cents worth that I've read in these post's so far,no one has a bloody clue what's coming next and when.Lot's of you seem to think you know something,but the fact that no one ever agrees,makes it bloody hard to take any of it seriously!
    Oh well,speculation helps p*** time till something does happen,I guess.
    Personaly,I'm damn excited because I'm long overdue for an upgrade from my 400mhz G4,and I'm hoping that Apple will give me something that is actually worth?my $5,000can.
    I sure wouldn't mind having a realistic idea of what to expect ,and when,if I could just find three opinions that didn't differ here,I could sleep much easier at night.

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Damn dudes, calm down.

Why not bring in news from other sites? For cripes sakes, it doesnt matter where the information comes from, as long as it gets us a chance to figure out what Apple's next move is. Besides, who gave you the right to order people around? And the reason we talk about this kind of stuff in the 'down' time is because thats when some of the best predictions are made. There is no hype to screw up vision, and predictions like those posted above become very realistic and probable.

THAT said, I agree with the above information. It seems like it is on track. A speed bump for towers in early March, and the G5 later in the year, or MWSF '03. Plus all the additional Vid.Card/Gigawire/AirPort/casing info doesnt seem at all far-fetched.

if you really want to know what is going to happen in Apple's future, check out the rumor sites in the down time.

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Towers

Does nobody actually think we get new towers until march? I cant see this happening. I dont know why, but I have this feeling that we will see updated tower by Seybold in Febuary.

Personally, I need a tower I wont buy an old model (however power it is).

6. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, you don't want to know what's on other rumor sites, but you find the information interesting... :confused:

Anywayz. I found the article both interesting and not far fetched. Much better than a stupid comment from SpyMac.com, and that's why I posted it!:)

7. zuffen macrumors member

I wish someone knew if and when the new towers were coming out.

I'm still cranking away on a G3 400 scsi machine. By the way has been running for a year and half on the same install without any major issues, if Explorer would quit locking up it would be perfect.

I can't implement FCP3 without a G4. I can buy a used or new DP G4 500+ and hold out until after the first wave of new towers comes out.

If the new Imac had come with true dual video out I would have bought one of them and went firewire drives. But the lack of dual monitor support has killed the iMac for me.

So i'm stuck like alot of you guys.

One thing I noticed is the S. Jobs wasn't very enthusiastic at the keynote address. I think he might have had something to announce and it wasn't ready yet. It would have been a double slam if he could have announced new towers even if they were G4 speed bumps only. Something about the entire key note speech left me with an uneasy feeling. Something was left out.

Stuck in wonderland

8. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

zuffen

Well, the expo speech was considerably shorter than expected. As for not being very enthusiastic, Time magazine had already released pictures and specs of the computer. This will inevitably have pissed him off. As for towers, the sooner the better for me.

The imac does have video mirroring I believe. Isn't that good enough?

9. zuffen macrumors member

The video mirroring isn't effective, unless I'm misunderstanding mirroring. When using FCP you do need the extra space for open windows.

There are 4 main windows and tool bar.

with a preview and program window and a timeline you are taking up most all of one monitor.

The second monitor is for the browser(files). In the average project you can have several folders open at one time, each contaning many multiple files. Plus then there is the background programs (PS, AE, etc.) and file folders. Instead of hiding the main program each time you have to seek out material or tweek and image or file it would easier to have more desktop space .

10. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

11. zuffen macrumors member

Now if the imac came with a 22 inch upgrade.....I would buy one in a heart beat...at the same price of course:)