More Insight into the Issues of Front Row

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac.head.high, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

So this article may shed some more light into the reasons why Apple locked out non-iMac users from Front Row.

http://www.personaltechpipeline.com/179102490?cid=rssfeed_pl_ptp

In my opinion it seems there may be some problems in Front Row that may have forced Apple to hold back a release (assuming they intended one) of Front Row for all of their computers, or even the iPod.

On a side note: Imagine an iPod with the Front Row system available. That would look very tight.

2. mac.head.high thread starter macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Really, nothing to say?

No opinions on this one people? I'm kind of surprised.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'm not sure why you conclude that these problems might be the reason behind FrontRow not being available for other Macs than the iMac.

It's a problem that a special kind of iMac has and I'm glad Apple's now looking into it. But I don't think the reasons FrontRow is only to be found on the iMac have anything to do with this.

Or do you think that these problems might have been even worse on other Macs?

4. FireArse macrumors 6502a

hmmm

I'm not sure the Front row thing you outline here on the iMacs is related.

I also thought the iMac related thing was due to a software error. People (search on this site) refer to a previous build of Tiger for the Intel iMac fixing the issue.

I have installed (then deleted) Front Row on my Power Mac without issue. Its slow, but the quality is there.

If only Apple made the video card in the iMac user removable.......

:)

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I don't know if it's coincidence but I found Front Row to be a lot faster after the install of iLife '06. Perhaps they upgraded the library format or something.

As for this being the reason why Front Row wasn't made available for other Macs: No, I don't think it is. This is just another one of the Intel bugs. In a way it's good - hopefully having to code for two architectures will force developers to tighten up their code.

AppleMatt