More iPhone Details - $599 4GB and $649 8GB? [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca F Runkle has "high conviction" that the iPhone will launch in the first half of 2007. In addition to this, she cites unnamed sources to provide some specs for the unreleased Apple phone:

- $599 for 4GB
    - $649 for 8GB
    - Wider than the iPod nano
    - Thinner than the iPod Video
    - Made of Metal
    - Multiple colors, but at least including black, white, and silver
    - Cingular Wireless is likely carrier in the U.S.
    Clarification : Runkle actually claimed: "full screen LCD; 3.5 inch (28x21)" and approximately 4/10ths of an inch thick. Also incorporates a Virtual Click wheel.

The proposed prices of the iPhone are much higher than the only previous rumor which pointed to $249 and $449 4GB and 8GB models.

Historically we have little record of Rebecca F Runkle's previous accuracy. Previous descriptions of the Apple Phone have described it as a candy bar form factor.

2. macrumors newbie

a little steep for me

3. macrumors 68020

pknz

White AND Silver?

4. macrumors 68020

Xavier

Ya.. i dont buy it

and wouldnt

Might as well just get a computer at that point

5. macrumors 6502a

How much? £120 more I could buy a iMac.

6. macrumors 6502

lorductape

these prices are off the charts

no one would buy it, as cool as it would be

of course, people said the same about iPod g1, but 650????? is s. jobs crazy??

7. macrumors 6502

I don't buy it either.

Way too expensive. Maybe they are banking on mail-in-rebate systems like other manufacturers...So maybe they will have 200 dollar rebate promotions or something. Seems pretty steep though.

8. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Although this price seems high, the previously rumored price was way too low to be believable. Maybe the 249 price was with a contract?

Cingular would be good for me since that is where I am right now. Coverage is average here in the burbs of Atlanta.

9. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Even with a significant discount for signing a contract, I doubt it would be in my price range. Get the low end down to $200-$250 with a 2-3 year contract and I'd likely buy...these prices won't get me there.

10. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

More likely the 'analyst' is crazy.

11. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

$649?? Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick with my Nokia.

12. macrumors regular

Wow! Expensive. I mean, that is in line with retail for a well-designed, high-end phone, but still...

Maybe those are number for Barbados dollars, or better yet, Eastern Carribean Dollars.

It would have to work really effing well for me to pay $400 more than a 4GB Nano...

13. macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

that is...

...insane.

there is NO WAY apple would sell a phone for that much. nobody would buy it.

i am so confused now, with all these differentiating rumors about the iphone. they're too far apart. :confused:

14. macrumors 68030

.Andy

I give the analyst credit for her name alone.

15. macrumors 6502a

those specs--the 3.5" screen, wider than a nano, thinner than a vid iPod, could legitimately be specs for a new gen iPod, and the higher prices would be for the models with phone functionality as well. Ya think?

Besides, i think people are forgetting how expensive some phones are if not bought with a contract. Treos have ranged around 499, for example. Maybe other readers can give examples for other quality phones.

16. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

My guess would be the $599 and $649 is the price with no contract or an unlocked version. It really isn't too bad for an unlocked phone. I am sure it will be cheaper on Cingular with contract.

17. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Helllll no! I have $150 saved up, and I can get between $100 -$150 from my parents for the holidays for the iPhone, so that's $300 including tax, maybe I can scrape together a little more, but hell no! My current phone cost $300 (I paid $50 with a 2 yr. contract) and it was brand new when I got it.

P.S. The only way I could see this working is if Apple became an IMMO or whatever they're called where they rent the bandwith from another company, and the $600 and $650 price points were with two years of service or something.

18. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Right. These are all just rumors so who knows... Maybe this rumor is a smoke screen from Steve's RDF. :D

19. macrumors demi-god

Non-discounted smartphones from most carriers can be that expensive, but with a contract renewal or for a new line of service, they're *significantly* less expensive.

I wouldn't see why the iPhone would be any different.

20. macrumors regular

wow, i totally sent in this story, that is so cool. In other news...I also think the price is too high, doing a simple search on the internet, you can find that average price for a high end smart phone is 200-400. If apple offers new stuff that is not available anywhere else, a higher price point would be alright, but it has to be revolutionary.

21. macrumors regular

wow, if I were to buy it where would I take it? I mean it would become the hottest item to steal!

I hope, as others have said, either the analyst off or that's for an unlocked new iPod with phone functionality.

22. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

The price isn't phasing me...I've been anticipating this phone for soooo long, at this point I don't care what it costs. I WILL BUY:D

23. macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

$$yikes$$

24. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think you're in the minority with that attitude MattyMac.

25. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

too expensive for me :(