More Longhorn info!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mechcozmo, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Something to take everyone's mind off of the current Intel/Apple kernel panic.

Linkety

Favorite quote:
    :rolleyes:

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

If you just change Microsoft to Apple and Longhorn to Tiger, it sounds like a paragraph about spotlight

3. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

True, but after reading the "Tags" section of the article, it sounds lie Longhorn is only able to index files through metadata. It doesn't say whether it can actually look within the files ala Spotlight.

So...I have to do all the tag linking myself? Blech.

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You're right. That would really really suck. A lot of extra work and it wouldn't really be that useful unless you added a lot of keywords for each document. Meh, what a pain.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

HAHAHA i was thinking that when i read the article....
    We all know who made a good desktop search tool ;)

6. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Does M$ ever come up with original ideas? This is sorta ridiculous. Sounds a lot like they have Tiger and they're trying to find all the features they can and copy them strait into Longhorn. Hey, what else is new.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Google gave MS the idea to do it; Apple gave MS an implementation. All MS needs to do is put the two together (which explains why they're forgoing their WinFS idea, at least for now).

8. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

And they'll be able to get that if the Apple on Intel rumors prove out.

9. iminimac macrumors regular

i have to admit that it is such a copy but i am also slightly worried:
    tiger is at the moment the most advanced operating system and its a reason some people change to macs but if microsoft do their own operating system with pretty much all the same things it will mean big competition, unless another version of Mac OS is released around the same time as "Longhorn"(what a RUBBISH name)

10. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

keep in mind that "longhorn" is only a code name. but, like tiger, they may keep the code name, which would definitely make it 'rubbish', not that it already isn't :p

i have thought about all of this too....i love rooting for the hometeam, that means macs getting more and more support, and if longhorn will take that away, all the more reason for me to h8 M$

11. brap macrumors 68000

Every f***ing time I read Longhorn PR BS, they can't seem to stop using the word 'Rich'. Seriously. If you've seen any of the WinHEC broadcasts - they have a fixation.

'Very rich content' -- oh, you mean you polished your turd some more?

[edit]Re: Longhorn as a codename.

It seems to me that, even though it's a bad name -- it has such recognition, they may consider using it. It's been in the works, and in the news for so long, people know what you're talking about when you say 'Longhorn'. Back on '2001, do you remember hearing anywhere near as much furore over 'Whistler'? Any publicity is good publicity, and I seriously think they'll consider going with Longhorn.

12. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

yup, they will have a hard time getting rid of that name. Just goes to show how carefull you should be codenaming your products if you intend to keep babbling about it for years and years before the product is finished...

A

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

its rather funny when an Anti-mac flamer opens his mouth on the primarily-window user forums im on, saying that Mac is inferior etc... when Windows are just blaitantly stealing and recolouring OSX and passing it off as Longhorn :p

so cliched but true :)

whats crap about Longhorn is that going from 98/2000 etc to XP caused some compatability problems, especially with DOS. and they're going to do it again! im sure ive read that longhorn uses a different system AGAIN!
    my bet is in 5 years when Longhorn is out ill still be using Win98 and 2000 as my WinOS of choice

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's only for us geeks though. The average Joe has no idea about Longhorn so from a marketing perspective I reckon they'll change it to something a little more catchy. I'm guessing Windows FF (Ferocious Feline) Edition so they can copy Mozilla and Apple at the same time. Happy times. :)

15. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I think the "miniture file" feature is the most rediculous thing ever. If you can't remember what the file is about (thus being able to search for it) why would you be able to spot it from a bunch of little tiny icons through your obvious BILLIONS of files since you don't know where you put the one you want. Give me a break, nobody is that visual thinking and absent minded.

16. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

would it not be ironic, if M$ states tomorrow that Apple "copied" M$ by using Intel chips? D'OH! :(

17. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

No.

MS would be going "Oh. F***in. S***."

Because they know that their reign is soon ending. :D

18. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I love it. It genuinely is sad to see how blind and ignorant people can be about the Mac OS X, and more specifically Tiger. We have everything they are describing NOW, why is it that Windows users don't get that? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

You'll also notice that Bill gates also talkes about 'Richness,' with gems like, "..theres a richness there that people will like," and "we'll have the software richness in there..." etc. etc. IOW richniess is used as a word for, "we have no idea what we wanna do with it."

20. fox2005 macrumors member

he should just go and say: "I am gonna get richer with the next box of **** we compile and you all buy instantly. oh, and by the way, we are giving our development team copy & paste funcionality because now apple is running on intel we can trash or photocopiers and just copy and paste directly, now longhorn is on track, and on date, thanks apple..."

21. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Oooof, reminds me of Pirates of Silicon Valley. I just finished watching it for the first time.

Now I have even more contempt for M$. Boo!

Hehe, It would be grand if Microsoft released their "new OS", but when you look at the box, they've just put a sticker on it saying "longhorn", when it's really an OS X disk.
    OK, I got almost no sleep last night, crazy, stupid ideas, ahoy!

22. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

On a related note:

Late Monday evening, at an impromptu (sp?) news conference, Microsoft announced that they too will support Intel chips. Only much more betterer.

Well, if Apple announces it, MS has to as well. :rolleyes:

23. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Because if MS doesn't give it to them, it doesn't exist.

24. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

All this crap about remaking the windows OS.

They've feed us this crap before and all microsoft did was refeed us the same crap. Longhorn will be based on the same core that we've been using for years. Longhorn will just be a big patch.

I bet M$ thinks that dropping the "my" in front of documents and etc is a major improvement. I can just see it on the box, "The New Windows, now without the my"

25. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I sure hope apple isn't underestimating Longhorn as much as Mac users are. I for one, see a OS as a OS, they all have their good and bad points.