More Longhorn Talk

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dippo, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Cnet has another article about Longhorn. I don't understand what is the big deal. It's not even going to be out for like 3 years!
  2. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Windows users have so little to be excited about that they are already drooling for the next pile o' crap (pardon me, "stack" o' crap) that microshaft can sell them.

On the other hand, mac users have so much to be excited about that our RUMOR sites have become apple fact sheets.

I am sooooo glad that I switched.
  3. leet1 macrumors 6502

Nov 3, 2003

Yup, there you go, thats it. :rolleyes:

or, since it being a site of technology, it normally follows things like this.
  4. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    I'm not sure which CNet article that was a reference to, but I did read about Sparkle, which will complete with Flash. I'm a little worried about that, as M$ has the muscle to push their tech and bury superior formats. It's a scary world for the Mac faithful, even with the strong 10 months we've had.

5. avus macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2002
    Why in the hell does Microsoft have to compete with a standard developed by the company that is only 1/240th of their size?

They are deeply paranoid and passive-aggressive - true signs of Psychos.
  6. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    Yes, but they have to get designers on board before anyone will adopt it. And I know absolutely ZERO people that would be willing to adopt a M$ web technology.

FrontPage. Need I say more. :rolleyes:

It will more than likely suck. No worries.
  7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Maybe people are excited because they're not too happy with XP. I'm ok with Win2000 on my PC (I said it was ok, didn't say I was happy). I hate XP, but I know a few who actually like it. Takes all kinds I guess. Some people are excited, though I guess. If Longhorn doesn't suck, I may actually use it.

Panther I was excited about (problems and all), Longhorn I'm cautiously optimistic.

Did I say optimistic? I meant bored. And scared, a little scared. It is M$ after all.
  8. jcgerm macrumors member

May 28, 2003
    I know what you mean. Longhorn is supposed to be the Digital Rights Managements OS. That alone makes me never want to upgrade to it...if it ever gets released. Next thing you know, you'll need to be "authorized" to click on the start button.

My roommate showed me an article the other day that samba (a reverse engineered version of windows file-sharing for those that don't know...and what OS X uses) is around 3X as fast as the file-sharing system that's actually IN Windows XP. Makes you wonder...
  9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    The reason is, if you followed their developers conference, you would probably understand.

Remember the cancelation of standalone IE for Windows and Mac? The reason is its being integrated deeply into the OS, so much so, that it cannot be removed without ripping out the .NET framework that is going to be installed by default on windows longscorn.

The reason for the integration is to reel in all those pesky web-based applications that people are using as cross-platform replacements for system installed apps, (like some web office apps etc.) and to tie them to the browser/os combination.

So, in other words, MS is pushing for web-based apps that take advantage of the longhorn API and, of course, only run on longhorn.

If you think its bad today with IE only sites, just wait....

Also, one of the reasons that is thought MS is waiting till 2006 to release LH is so that the Antitrust settlement will expire then, and then they can bundle anything they want to expand their Monopoly...

Anyways, coming back to the flash thing, flash is the most popular plug-in in existence right? So the barrier for the 100% adoption of this new web/integrated OS is that flash is cross-platform, but once flash-type stuff is only working on windows, well, you can guess what happens next (think mass extinction).
  10. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    should we be afraid of Longhorn?

not that it will be superior, but that it will be perfectly anti-competitive

I hope that the foot hold Apple gains with the iTMS is strong enough that this "turtle-head" poking out won't be and all powerful and overwhelming stink bomb.

Leave it to Microsoft to create a world in which the 'world wide web' must be divided into separate systems so the only Longhorn accesses the WWW as we know it today, and all other OSes have to develope their own network. Microsoft could, excuse me, WOULD charge a fee to all those on the internet, and they would just take the shaft like they always have being to naive to see that they are screwing the tech world. Hmmmm, is Steve trying to tell us something? Evian, naive, evian, naive, evian, naive....
  11. electric macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I was angry when I first heard about Sparkle but I then realized that sparkle will be integrated into Longhorn and will probably not have near the vast capabilities of flash, sure it will communicate well with vb, xml and asp but it will probably be so limited that all you will get out of it are premade effects and and some cute features. How long has it been and how usefull is Frontpage?

Remember when the www first hit the scene and all the web sites were made by strickley programmers? Those site were horrible.... ugly tiled background images and ugly 10 pixel borders.

Now if MS hired Colin Moock, Hillman Curtis or Joshua Davis I then would be nervous.
    What is so cool about Flash is the seemingly endless things that can be done with it, people are contantly figuring out new things to do with Flash that are way beyond what anybody expected or what Flash was ever intended to do. I only hope that Macromedia starts supporting Mac's a whole lot better.

P.S. Remember that Simpsons episode with Homer as Mr. Sparkle, ha,ha
  12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Afraid? No. But everybody, PC and Mac users, should be concerned with every move Microsoft makes. Anytime they move into a new market, images of pirates and various scalawags come to mind...
  13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Well, Microsoft's got to put something in the press besides the constant security threats, don't they? Also, Apple's getting a lot of headlines, both favorable and unfavorable, at c|net lately. Between the need for some positive press, the need to stay in the headlines more than Apple, and the need to appear to be continually innovating in a time when they don't seem to have much to offer, Microsoft would probably put anything out there they could, even if it's essentially: "Lookit all the cool stuff we're planning to release three years from now!"

Frankly, the .NET framework and browser/OS integration, not to mention the screenshots I've seen, are enough to send me away from Longhorn running. It looks like everything that's been progressively annoying me more and more with every Windows revision is just getting worse.