Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
That was SUPER COOL! Nice find!!!!

Like a gang of tornados.

edit: Watching the loop, I noticed that not much ground was messed up or with, just a small dark area almost like a shadow. Not very dense atmosphere, so it is understandable, just based on the dust clouds at the bottom of each, I would have expected more "wake" than what is present.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is really cool. The one at the end almost had human form. :eek: Maybe that was a rorschach type view.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
wdlove said:
That is really cool. The one at the end almost had human form. :eek: Maybe that was a rorschach type view.

At last - proof of Alien martian tornado lifeforms! :p

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
that's amazing! this is inspiration to learn more about our neighboring planet. the various pieces of data we're coming to learn about mars are absoultely fascinating.
thanks for yet another interesting thread about our solar system. seems you have a knack for this. may i ask if this is just an interest/passion of yours (and) or your profession?

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Wow, I didn't know Spirit and Opportunity are still operating. I remember a while back they said 6 months was supposed to be the limit.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
That's fantastic. It's amazing to thing that planet is so far away. It looks like you could just walk across there no problems dodging those tornadoes!

Talk of mars also reminds me of my favorite Chaser (a now defunct political paper in Aus) headline.

Lack of Bottled Water on Mars Indicates Intelligent Lifeforms.

:).

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
excellent....more like a herd of tornados or dust devils....

I'm just amazed that the rovers are still going so long after their expected lifetime. Nice to see that things are working.

D

siliconjones

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2004
I to think it is just amazing that they are there. Could you imagine going to work each day to drive that thing around on Mars. To damn cool. Has anyone seen the video of how we got them there. Pretty cool. Lets see if I can find it.

Here is the link.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
wdlove said:

if you mean this frame, i think you might be onto something

Attachments

• tornado.gif
    tornado.gif
    218 KB · Views: 95

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Don't panic said:

Now that is a bit spooky. If I didn't know better I would say it had been photoshopped!

crackpip

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Capt Underpants said:
Are these like hardcore tornadoes, or are they more like dust devils? It's hard to get a sense of scale.

Real tornadoes are driven by a much larger vortex above, called a mesocyclone or tornado cyclone. These are more like dust devils or waterspouts (true waterspouts are not just tornadoes over water). There is no large, driving vortex above. Instead its driven by thermal convection and convergence, sort of like a draining bath tub in reverse. However, they can still get quite strong and very tall, even on earth.

crackpip

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Don't panic said:

Yes, that is the one. I didn't see the face though. It was the total outline that caught my eye. Humans just tend to see things that are familiar.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
.Andy said:
You mean they have photoshop on Mars :eek:!

Maybe I can help here. You see brevity counts sometimes, especially when I am typing on a forum.
My intent was to question if someone had used photoshop to change the picture. In this manner, it would appear with facial features, personified, therefore looking more amazing.

Does this help you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.