Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Since I'm still within my 'return' period with my iMac, I'm 'upgrading' it!
New SSD (Samsung 256GB; will be upgraded to a 500GB SSD, later) has been cloned and running the OS. The 500GB SATA, will store data, etc. It will be interesting to see the speed when copying data between the SSD and SATA.

In addition, I'm adding 8GB or memory to the iMac, too. Once done, to run some tests to see how fast this thing will be...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No. I'm just going to use an SSD via USB 3.0.
You original post was confusing, since you put return and upgrade in quotations and referenced the 14 day return period.

Why not just exchange it for a model that has an SSD? I think selecting the model that best fits your needs is a more elegant and sensible option - that's just my $.02

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
I think selecting the model that best fits your needs is a more elegant and sensible option - that's just my $.02
It undoubtedly is a more elegant solution, as long as the OP has deep enough pockets to afford the crazy Apple price on SSD options!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It undoubtedly is a more elegant solution, as long as the OP has deep enough pockets to afford the crazy Apple price on SSD options!
256GB is 200 dollar upgrade on the base price, I think could be doable.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
256GB is 200 dollar upgrade on the base price, I think could be doable.
Sorry, I didn't notice his original, fairly modest storage requirements!
To be honest, if I were him, I'd go for the Fusion drive option. He doesn't say which variant he has, but on my 27" iMac, the default is 128Gb SSD in the fusion, and that is more than enough to run the system stuff.
I don't notice too much of a difference between my 512Gb SSD (only) on my last iMac and the 2Tb fusion on my latest late 2015 one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.