More merger mania! Motorola buying Apple

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 27, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

I doubt that would happen but I could see them partnering up on the cellphone deal.

I could see IBM maybe wanting to buy Apple, but I don't see Moto doing this.

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Motorola management knows as much about operating an innovative niche computer company as Pepsi does.

4. macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Cant see this happening

but if it was to happen well were would it put us

5. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Moto, buy out Apple so they can design phones for you...GREAT IDEA....Apple sure has heck doesn't need to get bought out for them to design phones. They'll partner with someone if they want to do this.

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think it's more likely for Apple to buy Motorola. But I don't see that happening anytime soon either.

7. macrumors 65816

How much is moto worth now?

Because if Apple did buy Moto out then we all know a Apple design phone would be coming soon from Moto.

Or they could just partner up on a cellphone deal.

8. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Why would Apple have anything to do with a company which did everything it could do to destroy it after Apple killed the clones? Moto wants nothing to do with the computer biz and has gone out of its way to show its indifference to that market. Why would they buy Apple - for the iPod? Gimme a break!

If Apple needs to put out a cell phone, they should do it on their own or with someone else than the unreliable and unimaginative partner Moto has proven itself to be.

9. macrumors P6

wdlove

I would not want to see Apple partner with Mortorola, it would be a step backward. If I remember correctly the president of Samsung was at MWNY in 2002, it would seem that a cell phone partnership would arise of out of that meeting. A partnership with IBM would be a look forward.

10. macrumors 65816

vollspacken

no way this is going to happen after all the trouble with motorola's failed attempts to speedbump the G4 and the way they abandoned their G5-project...

vSpacken

11. macrumors regular

I think it would be more likely for Apple to either team up with or buy motorola, for phones and possibly other wireless things. Check out GigaWire. Apple patented gigawire, a wireless protocol thingy.

12. macrumors 65816

Photorun

The guy who wrote that article is a complete and total moron!

13. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

No.
    No.

Not GONNA HAPPEN!

No-no-no-nononononono

No chance in a Snow Covered HELL!

:eek:

Moto's semiconductor Unit is DEAD.

Apple lives.

And the G4 that is in my computer sucks.

14. macrumors newbie

Motorla????

This guy is a complete moron. No way this ever happens

15. macrumors regular

Me? a moron?

Who ya callin' a moron? Look up gigawire goddåmn it! Apple really patented something called Gigawire. I don't know jack about cellular phones, but I do know more than I should about wireless networking and that motorolla has a cool logo. ;-)

16. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Some of the other mergers mentioned in the article might work. However the Motorola-Apple merger done either way is a seriously flawed idea. The two companies are not compatible. Any attempt at a merger would be a complete disaster.

If Apple were to be acquired by another company better candidates might be IBM or Sony. If Apple is to acquire other companies they should either complement Apples strengths or cover their weaknesses. Motorola would do neither. Software and digital media companies might be better places to look.

17. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Me? a moron?

Your sentence...

Moto means nothing w/ an Apple Pattent.

Gigawire could be anything from the next hi-speed bluetooth to an ethernet connection.

And I restate my belief that this merger is a NO-Go.

18. macrumors regular

I know the companies won't merge, but I brought up the gigawire thing because it might be a cause of the merge that will never happen. I did a bunch of research and have concluded that they have a cool logo and crappy products, except for the revolutionary PPC G3 chip. Which is no longer revolutionary. Apple dropped Moto, and aren't about to ask them back.

19. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

20. macrumors regular

21. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

First... IBM made the G3 Chip.

Crappy products? Dunno about that, some of their cell phones are ok.

Can I elaborate on what gymnut said... probably that he thought what you said wasn't true.

22. macrumors regular

I could swear moto made the G3 in the beginning. But anyways...

Sorry to use the word 'crappy' so loosly. It's not exactly what I meant. I think of anything that isn't top quality as somewhat crappy. Crappy is my word for: there is something way better out there, even though this is really good.

I am, even to myself, confusing.;)

I want my teraflop G5!