More Merger Speculations

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macktheknife, Jan 27, 2003.

1. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Another article from the O'Reilly Network speculating on a number of mergers that might happen. Once again, the author is doing some pure speculating, but it does provide some food for thought.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2677

2. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

And it is my prediction that in 2004 IBM will merge with Apple. ;)

3. macktheknife thread starter macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I can't really comment on the likelihood or the soundness of these mergers, but a fundamental shift in the technology industry has occurred, and it will force some consolidations. Technology and capital spending have gone down the drain, and customers are no longer willing to pay top dollar for software and hardware they don't need. In addition, customers are perfectly willing to pass on the "latest and greatest" software and hardware given that the old stuff works perfectly fine for what they do.

The most ominous shift for many tech companies, of course, is the emergence of open source software. Some companies like Sun are getting hammered. Others like IBM have embraced open source software, realizing that while software and hardware have (in some respects) become commodities, consulting services have not.

When I get home, I'll take a look at each company's financials to see which company is in the weakest/strongest financial position and do some of my own merger speculations from a financial analysis perspective.

4. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I think that a merger between IBM and Apple should take place on a few conditions:

• That Apple markets OS X primarily to consumers and education customers and IBM continues to market Linux primarily to businesses.
    • That IBM and Apple work together to find ways to make OS X and Linux more compatible with each other.
    • That IBM supports Apple financially and allows Apple to decide how to spend the money to market it's products. This is because IBM has never been good at marketing it's products to consumers anyway.
    • That IBM supplies most of the hardware that goes into Apple's computers, trying to find ways to make them faster and cheaper.
    • That Apple is allowed to keep the Apple and Macintosh brand names for its products.
    • That Apple is allowed to design the look of its computers and not IBM.

With that said, I think a merger between IBM and Apple will go just fine. IMHO, IBM is the future of the tech industry and Mac OS X and Linux will the primary OSs in use. Forget Micro$uck$ Windblows! :p

;)

5. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Interesting post.

I think most of these are highly unlikely.

Looking at each of them in order:

1. HP will get killed by WallStreet if they try to swallow another company after Compaq. They need to focus on integrating Compaq for the next couple of years or so.

2. Novell is the walking dead. IBM is not that stupid.

3. Sun is also the walking dead. Linux running on Wintel has them crushed in every segment except for some tiny niche on the high end. Who is going to pay 100 grand for a server when you can get the same thing from Dell for 10K running Linux. Sun is screwed in my opinion.

4. No way Ellison will ever let it happen. Ego too big and wants to make a name for himself in his neverending pursuit of Bill Gates.

5. Maybe Sun and BEA, but I doubt BEA would do it. Oracle would not buy/merge with Sun and compete with the remainder of its channel--particularly with the state Sun is in.

As for Apple/IBM, that is not likely either. Apple doesn't need it, nor does IBM. Plus, the cultures are too different. All the "Pre-Merger Rules" suggested in the previous post won't offset the negative impact of the IBM culture on Apple's innovative spirit. Plus, a lot of people who work at Apple would never work at IBM, even the Apple division thereof.

6. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

But if the stock price doesn't go up, if market share doesn't go up and decent profits are not made, then what else will Apple do? I can't think of a better company to sell to than IBM. ;)

7. Bear macrumors G3

8. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I don't see how the two companies can benefit each other. How much money does Sun have in the bank?

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Apple does not merge. Apple acquires. If Apple isn't big enough to acquire something, it leaves it alone. Apple/Adobe speculation has run rampant for as long as i can remember, it's just not going to happen until Apple can just buy them out.

:)
    pnw

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Wow of all the ironies!!! Big Blue and Apple as one company maybe 2004 will be alot like 1984:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

this is probably the best assessment i have seen about the ever popular subject of apple/techcompany mergers. history can provide more information about the future than the present can.

12. Chad macrumors member