More MHz?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Valak, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Valak macrumors newbie

Is there a way for me to get more MHz without having to buy a new processor? I have a 500 MHz PowerPC G3. I need about 1,000 MHz can I get some help?

2. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

3. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

For the amount of speed increase you want, you may be better off looking for a good used G4 machine.

5. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Um, if you want 1000mhz plus you will probably end up needing to get alot of new components. Including the mainboard, processor etc...

What are you doing that needs this speed boost?

Macs really aren't friendly for upgrading. I would probably suggest to have a look on ebay for a nice secondhand imac.

6. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Macs are, in fact very friendly for upgrading as long as you do not have a G3 iMac. If you have any PowerMac you can upgrade nearly all the components to increase performance without having to buy a new main/mother/logic-board

First off though, what kind of computer do you have? It is possible to do some overclocking by changing jumper settings, but there is no way to get 1GHz performance out of a 500MHz processor.

If you seriously are interested in keeping the same machine I would really reccomend purchasing a CPU upgrade. If you have a Blue and White G3 it is very easy to install 1GHz G4s into that.

I would also suggest adding more RAM to your computer as well to max it out. There are many options you have.

Even if you have a G3 iMac I believe there are CPU upgrades available for those, but they can be real pains to install.

7. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

Answers for both of you, I want to play WoW, I don't even think I need 1,000 MHz more like 950.
    And how would I find out what color my G3 is? Also remember the computer Im trying to play WoW on has no internet so I cant get software updates yet.

8. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an iMac Mac Os 10.3 with 384 MB SDRAM, and a 500 MHz PowerPC G3.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I would say: Give up the idea before you waste too much time and money.

The only 500 MHz G3 machines that Apple shipped were the iMac G3 DV, and the Pismo Powerbook G3. Neither of these machines are viable candidates for upgrades.

The "Blue and White" question was to try to determine, if it was a tower machine, whether it is a beige G3 Minitower or desktop machine, or the Blue and White G3 tower.

If you had a tower machine, what you're going to find, as soon as you locate a 1 GHz - plus processor upgrade, which will set you back several hundred, is that your video card is hopelessly inadequate for games, and then you'll find that you can't buy a performance video card that is compatible with the PCI slot (or the AGP 2x slot in the Graphite G4 towers, either)

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you want to run WoW, you're basically going to need a whole new computer (and some internet access)...the individual upgrades you'd need to meet the system requirements will far outweigh the cost of picking up a used machine that already meets them.

11. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Indeed for WoW you will have to have a *far* better system and a high speed internet connection.

Sorry to say, but your computer is hopelessly inadequate for that game. With your original post I thought you just wanted to do a fun little upgrading project (which can become a very expensive hobby...) Sorry that there's no hope for ya!

Good luck finding a better computer... sometimes there are really great Ebay deals.

Also, have you ever played WoW? It is a "MMORPG" (or something)... which means its a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game... you can't even play it without a broadband connection.

PS: CanadaRAM was wrong. Another system came in 500MHz G3s... white iBooks! :)

12. tessitori macrumors newbie

Upgrading Question

Hi Everyione,
    I am a newbie here and I have a question. I am trying to upgrade the OS to Lepard and the system requirements are for cpu speeds of 867Mhz or faster. My current PowerPC G4 has 733Mhz. Is there an inexpensive way to do such an upgrade? The system is used only to access the acctg. software at the office through backtomymac service. TIA for all your suggestions.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

buy a new computer if you really arnt sure what your doing you'll save more money and time.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Two. Thousand. Six. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

There are CPU upgrades that exist for the PowerMac G4. If you do not have one, buy a new computer.

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You may be able to overclock that much if you're not concerned about the potential for damage and your computer doesn't already run terribly hot. However, I wouldn't want to run Leopard with the minimum system requirements. It's pretty heavy. Just stick with Tiger.

16. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

You can buy 1.5Ghz G4 Powerbooks on eBay with over a gig of RAM for under £400. Why the heck anybody even bothers with G3s anymore is beyond me. They're not even good as upgrade projects (the G4 PowerMacs rule the roost there!).

I got an 867Mhz TiBook in immaculate condition off eBay for £270. There's a lot of choice and a great deal of it is inexpensive. Take a look :)

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba