more money doesn't equal better education.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Leo Hubbard, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Doesn't Los Angeles vote primarily Democrat?

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not sure about how they vote, but when posting an article it is better to post the whole thing, or portions that also provide balance.

From your link:

Findings:

Recommendations:

At least for me doing a casual read of your post, I come away with a much better understanding of the problem.

I fail to see a connection between illiteracy and which party one votes for.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

How many illiterates actually vote? And, correct me if I'm wrong, but how many ESL drop-outs are actually American citizens who actually can vote? You're now stretching Leo.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry yellow you are right. From: http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/

With numbers 2 through 3, i wonder how many of some politicians would be able to pass. Or even the rest of us?

5. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

And where does this more money thing come in? Have you actually been to many of the schools in LA? I have and I gaurentee you that they don't have lots of money.

And while more money doesn't necessarilly lead to a better education, I guarantee you that less money leads to worse education.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is it me or is there big disconnect between the article contents and the thread title?

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think you are right.

I hope I stayed within topic.

As I say it, it was talking more about adult ESOL classes. Not within the 1 through 12 system, though there are many 16 to 18 that don't meet the requirements.

These kids actually may not be part of the traditional educational system. They may find necessary to to work than to attend school.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah Google feedback ads.. the one at the bottom of this thread is for learned different languages.

Edit: at least briefly.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Let's not be hypocrites here. Just awhile ago, I clicked on your thread titled Health Care Premiums Jump 11.2 Percent.

"Disconnect" doesn't even begin to describe the disparity from what I read therein.

You tricky bastard, you fooled us all.
    Bait and switch, says I.

(oh, and to address the title [but not the topic of the article it was based on] of this thread, if more money doesn't equal better education, then why do the wealthiest people of the world choose the most expensive schools for their children?)

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i thought it very important we discuss chicago bears football and my new waffle iron.

i am a bad person.

11. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

and the first actual LOL of the day goes to zimv. thank you.

now?

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so late in the day? damn, that must have been a crappy day. or perhaps just very serious.

13. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

heh. twelve hours of DVD authoring (the old school kind, using DVDSP 1.5). i tried to find the funny in scripting, but alas...

i hesitate to call that crappy or serious, though. calling any of my days crappy or serious would be a major insult to the billions of people who live crappy and/or serious lives.

<EDIT> not to contribute to the thread drift or anything</EDIT>

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Networking.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What the heck. We have a thread about the general notion of education and money. We could get at least halfway serious. :)

Public school districts seem to be judged by dollars per student per year. They don't seem to be judged on budget allocations, or where/how the money is spent. To me, the first measure doesn't tell anything meaningful.

For instance, in one of the lower $/student/yr districts in Texas, the average SAT scores are among the state's highest. The reason for this is separate from just gross dollar numbers. It has to be.

When I talk about budget allocation, a good example of a bad example is right nearby in Alpine, Texas. They wanted a particular hotshot highschool football coach. He had a minimum salary requirement, and he wouldn't take the job without bringing his pet assistant coach with him. His salary demand was more than what the school principal was paid. By Texas law, the principal MUST be paid more than a coach. So, sure enough, the school district hired him and the assistant and raised the principal's salary. To me, that's right at $200,000 a year of wasted money that won't be spent on maintenance or school supplies or teachers' salaries.

To go back to the subject of the opening post of this thread, the obvious flaw in fighting the problem of illiteracy has to do with the design of the courses. Some of it must be in the scheduling or timing of availability for the would-be students. If there is a large number of three-week dropouts, there could well be some problem(s) in the curriculum itself.

When looking at born-here citizens who need these courses, one is then brought back to the "Why?" of the existing school systems. While many disparage the problems as inherent with some ethnicities, that's not at all correct. Too many anglos "graduate" from highschool without being able to make change. (I haven't a clue how you get to age 18 without being able to make change.)

Overall, nationwide, the problem doesn't seem to be a lack of money so much as a misallocation of what money we have...

'Rat

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

'Rat,

Very well said.

I think one of the issues in Texas as portrayed by your example is how sports (football in particular) are next to Church (as well as many others states too). I know some here will disagree, but sports at the High School level should not just be about the winning.

People's values are just so screwed up at times.

I took from the article that sparked this thread, that the classes in question are the ESOL classes. Because these immigrants are among the lowest paid workers, and work scattered hours. Accommodations need to make way for the real world.

As to the drop out rate, I wish they had addressed that more directly. Is it that the work hours shifted, and no means of switching classes is provided for?

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow